4 of 6
Fish oil, dose it work?
Posted: 30 May 2011 10:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Thank Zeus, we had no Hersheys where I grew up.  cheese Maybe my cat was a mutant, the first of its kind who can eat chocolate no problem.  cool smirk Unfortunately, she left no descendants, so there is no hope for adaptation.  downer

Posted: 30 May 2011 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Total Posts:  7613
Joined  2007-03-02

Interesting.  Did you’re vet know you were giving your cat chocolate?  If s/he did, I’m sure they would have had a catnip-tion.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 30 May 2011 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

As far as I remember my parents only took her to a vet once when she got a bad cold. She was never sick. She spent her first ten years indoors and after we emigrated she spent additional nine years of her life at my grandparents’ house. She never received any vaccines, nevertheless, she lived a long (and happy, I assume and hope) life. I’ll never forget the moment I went to drop her off at my grandparents’ house, knowing I wouldn’t probably see her ever again.  Luckily, after communism had collapsed and I got a chance to go back I saw her for the last time the year before she died. She didn’t recognize me; or maybe she did and never forgave me for abandoning her. Her name was Lucia, she was white with beautiful blue eyes. I’ll stop now—not sure what got into me…

[ Edited: 30 May 2011 07:47 PM by George ]

Posted: 30 May 2011 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

Sounds like a very lovely cat with an unusual metabolism.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 30 May 2011 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Total Posts:  2714
Joined  2011-04-24

Never heard about that before,the cat I had would eat almost anything,grass,leaves,bugs,paper but he never touched chocolate or anything sweet,in fact he seemed disgusted by them! He lived for almost 20 years though;his half brother only made it a few years,if I remember correctly he did like chocolate downer

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 30 May 2011 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Interesting, George.  Quite a few years ago, a white, female, short haired stray cat we used to feed got pregnant and when the two kittens got old enough, she dropped them off with us and disappeared.  The neighbors stole the black male, but we were able to keep the long haired white, blue eyed female.  She had a pleasant, easy going personality and never got annoyed except when I had to give her a bath.  She lived a long healthy life but never had the opportunity to get chocolate, although she did enjoy eating, lizards, mice, crickets etc.  She got pregnant before we got around to having her sterilized, and she had four kittens, one while long haired male with one blue and one yellow eye.  He was completely deaf.  I learned that blue eyed white males are just about always deaf and about 50% of the females are.  Lucia was lucky not to be so.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 30 May 2011 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
Occam. - 30 May 2011 03:26 PM

Interesting, George.  Quite a few years ago, a white, female, short haired stray cat we used to feed got pregnant and when the two kittens got old enough, she dropped them off with us and disappeared.  The neighbors stole the black male, but we were able to keep the long haired white, blue eyed female.  She had a pleasant, easy going personality and never got annoyed except when I had to give her a bath.  She lived a long healthy life but never had the opportunity to get chocolate, although she did enjoy eating, lizards, mice, crickets etc.  She got pregnant before we got around to having her sterilized, and she had four kittens, one while long haired male with one blue and one yellow eye.  He was completely deaf.  I learned that blue eyed white males are just about always deaf and about 50% of the females are.  Lucia was lucky not to be so.

Occam

Depends on the breed.  If they are Siamese, even males can be hearing.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 30 May 2011 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Total Posts:  348
Joined  2006-11-27

I’ve been following the studies on how effective placebos can be.  Last time I saw my G.P. I said, “I’m officially giving you permission to give me placebos and not tell me”.  She replied,  “I would never do that”.  I was really annoyed at her for a few days until I realized she had given me the perfect answer.  I feel better already.

Signature 

If we’re not laughing, they’re winning.

Posted: 30 May 2011 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

That’s interesting, Occam. I actually don’t know if my cat was deaf. I guess I would have noticed, but then, even cats who can hear sometimes pretend that they don’t.  grin

Posted: 30 May 2011 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
George - 30 May 2011 07:45 PM

That’s interesting, Occam. I actually don’t know if my cat was deaf. I guess I would have noticed, but then, even cats who can hear sometimes pretend that they don’t.  grin

My 1/2 siamese, mostly white with Siamese markings has two blue eyes and she is not deaf.  My hemi he’s not deaf either.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 30 May 2011 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Total Posts:  4108
Joined  2006-11-28

Chocolate is indeed toxic to dogs and cats, though the caffeine and theobromine levels are quite low in milk chocolate, so it’s the dark and baking chocolate that really cause problems. Cats almost never seem to have a problem because they don’t care enough about sweets to eat much of it. The usual cases I see are young labradors who eat entire boxes of See’s candy of bricks of baking chocolate and then come in having seizures. Like most toxins, it’ all in the dose.

Asanta,

What prompted you to ressurect this thread? Just wondering since I last posted about my two dogs at 11 and 13yrs old. My older one died about a year later of, yup, cancer. My other is now 14 1/2 and creaky but still healthy. Tempus fugit, eh?

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 30 May 2011 09:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
mckenzievmd - 30 May 2011 09:36 PM

Asanta,

What prompted you to ressurect this thread? Just wondering since I last posted about my two dogs at 11 and 13yrs old. My older one died about a year later of, yup, cancer. My other is now 14 1/2 and creaky but still healthy. Tempus fugit, eh?

LOL! I clicked on it because it had a new post (I think it was a spammer), then I read the ones behind it, not realizing it was an oooold thread. Must. Check. Dates!! On top of that, I just had a conversation with my friend about alt meds for dogs, which also reminded me of your fights about that. This is my first run in with anyone promoting alt meds for animals. Very frustrating!! I see what you have to deal with now sick

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 30 May 2011 11:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
asanta - 30 May 2011 09:44 PM
mckenzievmd - 30 May 2011 09:36 PM

Asanta,

LOL! I clicked on it because it had a new post (I think it was a spammer), then I read the ones behind it, not realizing it was an oooold thread. Must. Check. Dates!! On top of that, I just had a conversation with my friend about alt meds for dogs, which also reminded me of your fights about that. This is my first run in with anyone promoting alt meds for animals. Very frustrating!! I see what you have to deal with now sick

I think what is bad or worse are people who want to turn their dogs and cats into vegetarians/vegans, because they are and think all creatures should be.  While I’m a vegetarian, cats and dogs systems are not cut out for a diet of vegetables, fruits, grains, and nuts.  While they might nibble on grass and/or lettuce (my cats do), their diets cannot be without meat.  In fact, they have to have mostly meat, unlike humans, in order to be healthy.  While a vet could explain it far better than I can, one cannot turn a cat or dog into a vegetarian or vegan and expect them to be healthy.  If they want a vegetarian pet, then they need to get a rabbit, gerbil, or guinea pig.  That’s all there is to it.  Humans can be vegetarian or vegans without forcing their pets to be one.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 31 May 2011 12:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Asanta, your mention of alternate medicine for pets reminds me that three days ago I found myself behind an SUV with an advertisement covering the rear window.  The driver was apparently a chiropractor for horses and dogs.  weird. 

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 31 May 2011 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Total Posts:  1332
Joined  2010-06-07
Occam. - 31 May 2011 12:16 AM

Asanta, your mention of alternate medicine for pets reminds me that three days ago I found myself behind an SUV with an advertisement covering the rear window.  The driver was apparently a chiropractor for horses and dogs.  weird. 

Occam

For horses that’s kind of silly. I’ve read that humans aren’t strong enough to actually adjust anything on a horse. Maybe the horse likes being petted though.  oh oh

4 of 6