5 of 6
Fish oil, dose it work?
Posted: 31 May 2011 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
Mriana - 30 May 2011 11:43 PM

I think what is bad or worse are people who want to turn their dogs and cats into vegetarians/vegans, because they are and think all creatures should be.  While I’m a vegetarian, cats and dogs systems are not cut out for a diet of vegetables, fruits, grains, and nuts.  While they might nibble on grass and/or lettuce (my cats do), their diets cannot be without meat.  In fact, they have to have mostly meat, unlike humans, in order to be healthy.  While a vet could explain it far better than I can, one cannot turn a cat or dog into a vegetarian or vegan and expect them to be healthy.  If they want a vegetarian pet, then they need to get a rabbit, gerbil, or guinea pig.  That’s all there is to it.  Humans can be vegetarian or vegans without forcing their pets to be one.

Oh crap, that reminds me of a conference where a pediatrician was giving a talk on “how to raise your child vegan”, which was very irresponsible as far as I am concerned. It meant giving your toddler a handful of vitamin supplements every day, feeding the a LOT of nuts (not recommended because of allergies), and taking them in for monthly bloodwork to make sure you are not frying their brains.  Someone brought up pets, and she suggested that you could do the same with your cats and dogs…. hmmm  The whole conference was a waste of money. I actually asked for my money back, but the refused, since I stayed the entire day to listen to BS piled onto BS!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 31 May 2011 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02
asanta - 31 May 2011 03:44 PM
Mriana - 30 May 2011 11:43 PM

I think what is bad or worse are people who want to turn their dogs and cats into vegetarians/vegans, because they are and think all creatures should be.  While I’m a vegetarian, cats and dogs systems are not cut out for a diet of vegetables, fruits, grains, and nuts.  While they might nibble on grass and/or lettuce (my cats do), their diets cannot be without meat.  In fact, they have to have mostly meat, unlike humans, in order to be healthy.  While a vet could explain it far better than I can, one cannot turn a cat or dog into a vegetarian or vegan and expect them to be healthy.  If they want a vegetarian pet, then they need to get a rabbit, gerbil, or guinea pig.  That’s all there is to it.  Humans can be vegetarian or vegans without forcing their pets to be one.

Oh crap, that reminds me of a conference where a pediatrician was giving a talk on “how to raise your child vegan”, which was very irresponsible as far as I am concerned. It meant giving your toddler a handful of vitamin supplements every day, feeding the a LOT of nuts (not recommended because of allergies), and taking them in for monthly bloodwork to make sure you are not frying their brains.  Someone brought up pets, and she suggested that you could do the same with your cats and dogs…. hmmm  The whole conference was a waste of money. I actually asked for my money back, but the refused, since I stayed the entire day to listen to BS piled onto BS!

I raised my kids as vegetarians, but I was not strict about it.  They could eat meat, if they wanted at friends’ homes, go to McDs if they so chose, etc, but I couldn’t cook it.  Didn’t know how, but I had the help of their pediatrician who was also a vegetarian and raised her kids, with her husband, as such too.  However, there is a difference between a vegetarian diet and a vegan diet.  I was and always have a lactose vegetarian, in that I do ingest dairy products and if not for an egg allergy, I’d have eggs more often in my diet, but meat had never been my thing.

But yes, I do think that was a waste of your time and money.  I do not think children should be raised on strict diets- esp not vegan diets, any more than cats and dogs need to be forced into a vegetarian diet.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 31 May 2011 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Total Posts:  4052
Joined  2006-11-28

Gnos,

You’ve hit it exactly. There’s no way a human can generate enough force to “adjust” a horse. But there is a study showing acupuncture to be equivalent to petting as a therapy for horses. grin

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 31 May 2011 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24

There will never,ever be a quality diet that everybody accepts;we have to be experimenters on ourselves.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 01 June 2011 06:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
mid atlantic - 31 May 2011 06:35 PM

There will never,ever be a quality diet that everybody accepts;we have to be experimenters on ourselves.

Quite true. Imagine peanuts being part of a quality diet. Those who are allergic would disagree about just how ideal it really is.
Fortunately, pharmaceuticals are headed in exactly the right direction as scientists concentrate on the individual and genomics. The future promises much more personalization of meds that are potentially more effective and less “side-effective.”

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 01 June 2011 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
Mriana - 31 May 2011 04:02 PM

But yes, I do think that was a waste of your time and money.  I do not think children should be raised on strict diets- esp not vegan diets, any more than cats and dogs need to be forced into a vegetarian diet.

She was talking about vegan diets for dogs and cats, with lots of supplements. sick

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 01 June 2011 08:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
asanta - 01 June 2011 08:36 AM

She was talking about vegan diets for dogs and cats, with lots of supplements. sick

UGH!  I cannot believe anyone can even think about doing that to a dog.  Their system is just not built for it.  Have those people even educated themselves about any animal?

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 01 June 2011 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
Mriana - 01 June 2011 08:40 AM

UGH!  I cannot believe anyone can even think about doing that to a dog.  Their system is just not built for it.  Have those people even educated themselves about any animal?

I could be wrong about this (our vet can help me) but when I chose to be vegan (or even vegetarian earlier) I looked around at nature and it seemed that carnivores generally have straight-through digestive tracts while herbivores (non-ruminant) generally have a convoluted system like ours. I’d never put a dog or cat on a vegan diet.

Signature 

Posted: 01 June 2011 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
traveler - 01 June 2011 08:47 AM
Mriana - 01 June 2011 08:40 AM

I could be wrong about this (our vet can help me) but when I chose to be vegan (or even vegetarian earlier) I looked around at nature and it seemed that carnivores generally have straight-through digestive tracts while herbivores (non-ruminant) generally have a convoluted system like ours. I’d never put a dog or cat on a vegan diet.

That’s pretty much it, but as I said earlier, a vet could probably explain it better.  Dogs and cats are not cut out to be on a vegetarian diet, much less a vegan diet.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 01 June 2011 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Total Posts:  9283
Joined  2006-08-29

Well, according to some statistics I remember reading about in “Catching Fire: How Cooking Made Us Human” by Richard Wrangham, we are not really cut out to be vegans, even though our long guts might make it seem as if vegan diet should be the healthiest one.

Posted: 01 June 2011 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
George - 01 June 2011 10:45 AM

Well, according to some statistics I remember reading about in “Catching Fire: How Cooking Made Us Human” by Richard Wrangham, we are not really cut out to be vegans, even though our long guts might make it seem as if vegan diet should be the healthiest one.

Thanks George, I hadn’t heard of Wrangham before. He has a nice talk on this subject HERE

Signature 

Posted: 01 June 2011 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Cool! Thanks for the link, traveler.

Posted: 01 June 2011 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Now that I remember, the statistics Wrangham refers to in his book related to health problems resulting from a vegan diet are actually based on a raw vegan diet.

Posted: 01 June 2011 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
George - 01 June 2011 11:29 AM

Now that I remember, the statistics Wrangham refers to in his book related to health problems resulting from a vegan diet are actually based on a raw vegan diet.

Yeah, that’s pretty much the take-away message from his video too. We cook our veggies! In fact, I know that some veggies, like Collard Greens are more nutritious after cooking.

Signature 

Posted: 01 June 2011 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
traveler - 01 June 2011 11:37 AM
George - 01 June 2011 11:29 AM

Yeah, that’s pretty much the take-away message from his video too. We cook our veggies! In fact, I know that some veggies, like Collard Greens are more nutritious after cooking.

It’s also difficult to eat bean, even soy beans raw.

Signature 

Mriana

5 of 6