IRIDOLOGY
Posted: 16 December 2011 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-12-16

Did anyone read the Buffalo News article that all but recommended Iridology to their readers in last Sunday’s paper?

Posted: 16 December 2011 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

Here’s the link for those who want to read it… LINK

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 16 December 2011 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2018
Joined  2007-04-26

Interesting. just when i thought the quacks had figured out every possible way of fleecing people along they come with a new method. I had never heard of iridology until you posted this. It never ceases to amaze me how far journalists have fallen from the ideal they are supposed to strive for. I would love to see the the law changed to allow citizens to sue for journalistic malpractice. At the very least a journalist should be required to have a degree in science or engineering before thy are allowed to write on these subjects. How sad.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 16 December 2011 02:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-12-16

Whether they deserve it or not, The Buffalo News is the paper of record for Western New York. What they print matters and in the past year they have published articles on clairvoyants, psychics, a woman who communicates with mosquitos through mind-control, all without disclaimers, research, or citation of credentialed sources. It’s hard to read this stuff without a forum to respond. Many letters (albeit fairly caustic) are ignored. They did publish one about side walk snow removal though.

Posted: 16 December 2011 11:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  4052
Joined  2006-11-28

I actually ran across a great article recently on the subject of journalists and science, which I wrote about HERE. The situation is pretty ugly, but there are some groups trying to make it better.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 17 December 2011 06:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  2018
Joined  2007-04-26

Well written article Brennan. Unfortunately I think it may be difficult to change the media tendency to over sensationalize everything since money is clearly the driving force behind that and money seems to trump integrity these days. I thought it should be possible to fix the other big problem here which is untrained journalists who are completely ignorant of the scientific method, but I’m beginning t think that was a bit naive. A well trained and scientifically educated journalist would be more likely to resist doing these sorts of inaccurate or sensationalized stories that the media profits from. The media just wants a drone who will go out and do what they tell them to. They don’t actually want their journalists to think.

The Borg have invaded journalism.. resistance is futile

[ Edited: 17 December 2011 06:26 AM by macgyver ]
 Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 18 December 2011 10:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  189
Joined  2010-10-09
macgyver - 16 December 2011 02:10 PM

Interesting. just when i thought the quacks had figured out every possible way of fleecing people along they come with a new method.

Nothing new about iridology. It’s been around since at least the 19th century; it was put on a formal (sort of) pseudo-empirical basis by a certain Dr. Ignaz von Peczely, a Hungarian physician, but it has antecedents going back to the 1600’s. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/iridology

Theflyingsorcerer.

Posted: 25 February 2012 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-02-25

Resurrecting Phrenology is right around the corner.

Posted: 25 February 2012 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
macgyver - 17 December 2011 06:24 AM

They don’t actually want their journalists to think.
The Borg have invaded journalism.. resistance is futile

I believe it is purely profit driven. They write what they think will sell. They don’t question, because they don’t want to alienate the people who will read unquestionably what they find in the paper, usually the elderly that may not be computer literate, and remember when journalists actually had ethics.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 01 March 2012 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  4622
Joined  2007-10-05

One of the big problems in journalism is the absurdly low pay. Intelligent writers will find other fields to ply their trade. I graduated from journalism to technical writing.  wink

Another problem is journalism programs, with few exceptions, do not require critical thinking or science classes.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe