1 of 4
God Bless You
Posted: 17 December 2011 10:00 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  636
Joined  2010-07-01

Some Atheists find it offensive when a creationists says God Bless to them. I understand that it may not be within the realm of the Atheists beliefs, but the Creationists saying it isn’t doing it out of malice, so I really can’t see why they’d let it bother them so much. So my question is, does it bother you when someone says “God Bless You” to you? If so, why?

[ Edited: 17 December 2011 10:19 PM by ExMachina ]

Posted: 17 December 2011 10:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  582
Joined  2010-04-19

Some people obviously need to take a chill pill.

Signature 

Don’t get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

- Bruce Lee -

Posted: 17 December 2011 11:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26
ExMachina - 17 December 2011 10:00 PM

Some Atheists find it offensive when a creationists says God Bless to them. I understand that it may not be within the realm of the Atheists beliefs, but the Creationists saying it isn’t doing it out of malice, so I really can’t see why they’d let it bother them so much. So my question is, does it bother you when someone says “God Bless You” to you? If so, why?

It does not bother me at all. Any expression of “good will” or “gratitude” in recognition of a person’s good character or good deeds must be accepted graciously. IMO the primary consideration is the intent of the wish, not how it is expressed.

But when a person comes up to me and gratuitously tells me that I need god’s blessing in my life (prostletyzing), I may tell him to go to hell (depending on my mood).

[ Edited: 18 December 2011 03:32 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 17 December 2011 11:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2010-07-01

Some people obviously need to take a chill pill.

Agreed

Write4U - 17 December 2011 11:00 PM

It does not bother me at all. Any expression of “good will” or “gratitude” in recognition of a person’s good character or good deeds must be accepted graciously. It is the intent of the wish, not how it is expressed, which IMO is the primary consideration.

This is pretty much my point of view on the issue. From the perspective of the creationists, he’s/she’s wishing good fortune. I think the problem is that Atheists that make big issues out of these small things only justify the stereotype in peoples minds that all Atheists are pissed off. It’s fair to say, to end this negative connotation, Atheists (in general) really should be more selective on the battles they choose to fight.

[ Edited: 17 December 2011 11:09 PM by ExMachina ]

Posted: 18 December 2011 12:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  2591
Joined  2011-04-24

Nah, it doesn’t bother me.  While in the supermarket last week, some organization had their donation collectors out front, so I gave and the woman said “God bless, happy holidays”, I responded with “same to you”. I don’t feel it’s a big deal, however I can agree with Write4You’s above comment about prostletyzing.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 18 December 2011 12:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  5191
Joined  2010-06-16

I agree, however, I prefer the Yiddish responses to sneezing that I learned for a girlfriend about 63 years ago.  I loved the logic The first was, I believe, “Ah be gezunt” which means something like “healh” or “you are healthy”. Te second was “leng leben solts du” which means “you will live a long time”, and I wish I could remember the one for the third sneeze.  It was just as funny in that it also indicated the opposite of what a sneeze usually does.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 18 December 2011 01:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  582
Joined  2010-04-19
Occam. - 18 December 2011 12:41 AM

I agree, however, I prefer the Yiddish responses to sneezing that I learned for a girlfriend about 63 years ago.  I loved the logic The first was, I believe, “Ah be gezunt” which means something like “healh” or “you are healthy”. Te second was “leng leben solts du” which means “you will live a long time”, and I wish I could remember the one for the third sneeze.  It was just as funny in that it also indicated the opposite of what a sneeze usually does.

Occam

Lol. The things we guys do for the ladies…

Signature 

Don’t get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

- Bruce Lee -

Posted: 18 December 2011 01:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2010-07-01

God Bless you all for understanding my position. smile

Posted: 18 December 2011 01:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Occam. - 18 December 2011 12:41 AM

Occam

Gezundheit….(good health) Actually I believe that is just the German well-wish for sneezing. The only Yiddish word I know is Mazel or Mazel tov (good luck).

After some research:

Ashkenazi Jews use a “progression” of blessings to address the situation Jack is talking about–i.e., when a person sneezes several times in a row. I suspect the custom in German-speaking lands is somewhat similar since both German and Yiddish have the same parent language. Here is what Yiddish-speaking Jews would say after each of five sneezes: 1. tsu gesunt 2. tsu lebn 3. tsu vaksn 4. tsu kvelln 5. tsu zeyn leytn gefelln.

What that all means is totally beyond me. confused   I’ll give it a shot: 1. good health 2. good life 3. good growth 4. ?  5. You’re really sick.

[ Edited: 18 December 2011 02:47 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 18 December 2011 02:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

Also discovered that the word Glitch is a Yiddish word (slip).

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 18 December 2011 06:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  2018
Joined  2007-04-26

OK let me play devils advocate. After all this is a discussion forum and what good is a discussion if everyone agrees. I am not really offended by it. I would never say anything to a person who offered well intentioned if ill conceived good will, but if you think about it the phrase is a bit presumptuous. To put it in true perspective, have you ever heard a muslim say “May Allah Bless you” to someone who’s faith they are not sure of? How would a christian feel if someone said that to them?

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 18 December 2011 06:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  2891
Joined  2011-08-15

But when a person comes up to me and gratuitously tells me that I need god’s blessing in my life (prostletyzing), I may tell him to go to hell (depending on my mood).

Isn’t any!  One of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite movies, “Paint Your Wagon” is “howdy parson, welcome to hell! (Parson responds) Well I’ll be god-damned!” Being in my area one always hears “god bless you’ (when putting money in the Salvation Army kettle), “gesundheit” after a sneeze, and i’m praying for you after hearing of an illness, death in the family etc. It’s part of the culture here and everyone knows it means we care. I just respond with a thanks, right back at ya, or my thoughts are with you. Hell, they all know I’m not religious but there’s no barrier to caring about people who truely care about you. It may actually make them think that you don’t have to believe the blather from the pulpit to be a good neighbor!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 18 December 2011 07:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  1741
Joined  2007-10-22

I agree with most of the comments above.  When it comes to someone prostletyzing, I normally tell them that I am not a Xtian.  That seems to throw them off thier normal track as they tend to believe that everyone has the same beliefs as they do.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 18 December 2011 07:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

It sounds a little strange to me, but it’s not something I care about. As you say, it’s not done out of malice, anymore than is “Merry Christmas” or what have you. For my own part, when someone sneezes I say “gesundheit”, or “salud” in Spanish, which means the same thing.

One quibble: not all Christians or theists are “creationists” in the standard sense of believing in creationism instead of evolution.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 18 December 2011 07:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2010-07-01

Interestingly enough, this forum of Atheists seems to be a bit different than some others I’ve seen. If I were to post this question on an Atheist forum on Facebook, I guarantee you that I’d get a dozen reasons why they were so offended. I’ll try this out later and post the responses on this thread.

Posted: 18 December 2011 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

So my question is, does it bother you when someone says “God Bless You” to you? If so, why?

Not really. Well wishing, however expressed isn’t the sort of thing that’s going to bother me.

Even if it did, I wouldn’t fuss about it because in the grand scheme of things, it’s really too trivial to bother with. There are much more important things to be concerned with and there is a wisdom in focusing on the battles which are actually worth fighting.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

1 of 4