2 of 4
God Bless You
Posted: 18 December 2011 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  698
Joined  2007-10-14

`
I just say “excuse you” in response to any/every audible bodily function that I’m not responsible for.

`

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 18 December 2011 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  475
Joined  2008-03-08

It doesn’t bother me, but it can get a little awkward if I don’t reciprocate in certain circumstances and there’s a little pressure to thank the person. My coworker says “bless you” anytime she hears a sneeze in the office and I’ve never said it back. It took a while, but I finally explained to her why I never say it back when she sneezes. She understands now, but it felt like I was being some inconsiderate selfish guy for not reciprocating when she sneezed.

Posted: 18 December 2011 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  6125
Joined  2009-02-26
ExMachina - 18 December 2011 07:57 AM

Interestingly enough, this forum of Atheists seems to be a bit different than some others I’ve seen. If I were to post this question on an Atheist forum on Facebook, I guarantee you that I’d get a dozen reasons why they were so offended. I’ll try this out later and post the responses on this thread.

I have noticed that militant atheists are confused when they come here. Apparently they expect affirmations, but when it isn’t forthcoming they accuse the CFI members of group think. It’s very curious. I have been to a few theist sites and shuddered at the offensive and confrontational style of ‘debate”.

IMO this is a Humanist forum, where reason (skeptical thought) is valued over any religious affiliation.  CFI is not a militant Atheist organization, but seeks to enlighten people and bring them together in reason and knowledge. And that is the very reason why I love it here.

btw, I also don’t like the term “brights”, it immediately brought the “illuminati” to mind. I find it slightly condencending and off-putting to people who have no experience in critical thinking.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 18 December 2011 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  3210
Joined  2011-08-15

IMO this is a Humanist forum, where reason (skeptical thought) is valued over any religious affiliation.  CFI is not a militant Atheist organization, but seeks to enlighten people and bring them together in reason and knowledge. And that is the very reason why I love it here.

btw, I also don’t like the term “brights”, it immediately brought the “illuminati” to mind. I find it slightly condencending and off-putting to people who have no experience in critical thinking

That’s a big ditto!!! That’s exactly why I enjoy reading everyone’s posts and IMO, everyone holds science and reason above fist pumping emotional arguments and character assassination! Don’t like the idea of “brights” either. It smacks of smugness. Had enough of that in high school.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 18 December 2011 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

If I had to object to saying “bless you,” I would probably have to change my last name first to avoid sounding like a hypocrite. My last name means “blessed” in Latin.

Posted: 18 December 2011 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
George - 18 December 2011 04:06 PM

If I had to object to saying “bless you,” I would probably have to change my last name first to avoid sounding like a hypocrite. My last name means “blessed” in Latin.

Well, when someone tells you “blessed be you”, you can honestly say, “yes I am”.... cheese
In fact if you wanted to be perfectly correct you might even say, “amen”...... LOL

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 18 December 2011 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Yes, I have tried to make similar kind of jokes before.

Posted: 18 December 2011 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
Write4U - 18 December 2011 03:28 PM

IMO this is a Humanist forum

Last time I checked, it was a centre for “inquiry.” I say let’s keep at that. wink

Posted: 18 December 2011 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

The Center for Inquiry

The mission of the Center for Inquiry is to foster a secular society based on science, reason, freedom of inquiry, and humanist values.

I’ll split the difference with you…. wink

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 18 December 2011 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Okay. I was wrong.

Posted: 18 December 2011 11:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  2699
Joined  2011-04-24
thevillageathiest - 18 December 2011 03:38 PM

btw, I also don’t like the term “brights”, it immediately brought the “illuminati” to mind. I find it slightly condencending and off-putting to people who have no experience in critical thinking

That’s a big ditto!!! That’s exactly why I enjoy reading everyone’s posts and IMO, everyone holds science and reason above fist pumping emotional arguments and character assassination! Don’t like the idea of “brights” either. It smacks of smugness. Had enough of that in high school.

Cap’t Jack

The term “Brights” strikes me as a little cartoonish, that’s why I don’t take it seriously. BTW, the Brights symbol looks kind of like the Rising sun of Japan during WW2, does anyone else think that?

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 19 December 2011 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I agree.  It seems that some Mensans like that term, and from a few really, really dumb Mensans I’ve met, it seems like an oxymoron.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 27 December 2011 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-12-27

Odd, I’m not an atheist and I am slightly offended when someone says “God bless you.”

My internal response is “how dare you presume I’m xian?”  The underlying presumption of the speaker is that the recipient is xian,and that “God” should be 1) capitalized,  2) singular, 3) named thusly, and 4) anthropomorphically attentive to the statements/ intentions of the speaker. However, although I bristle internally, I normally take the benediction in stride and reply (as prior poster does), “same to you.”

I believe the origin of the saying, in response to a sneeze, was in the middle ages during the peak of the virulent pneumonic plague (secondary to bubonic plague). The pneumonic plague was spread by droplet infection, and was nearly always fatal (as was the bubonic, tho it was spread by fleas - from rats). So, if someone sneezed-  the next time you might see them they’d be dead. Accordingly, they may not be seen by a priest “in time” so one offered “God’s blessing” as a help (in the “afterlife”) to the sneezer - who likely would be dead very soon.

In light of this historical perspective, there is also the presumption that I may be dead very soon - implied with the “blessing” statement. I don’t like that implication, either.

Interesting how sayings persist… and the children’s game “ring around the rosy” also refers to the ravages of the bubonic plague during the middle ages.

Re your reference to “merry christmas,” I also bristle at that one. Again, the presumption that I am a xian.
My normal response to that, is to smile and wish them “Happy Saturnalia!” as I walk away grinning while they look somewhat puzzled.
It’s the intent… I DO wish them, and you all, a very happy Saturnalia.

[ Edited: 27 December 2011 07:54 PM by BeSharp ]

Posted: 27 December 2011 08:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

Welcome BeSharp,

Looks like your contributions will be interesting. I liked your observation of “a blessing, just in case in don’t see you anymore”.

[ Edited: 27 December 2011 08:54 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

Posted: 27 December 2011 10:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  582
Joined  2010-04-19
ExMachina - 18 December 2011 07:57 AM

Interestingly enough, this forum of Atheists seems to be a bit different than some others I’ve seen. If I were to post this question on an Atheist forum on Facebook, I guarantee you that I’d get a dozen reasons why they were so offended. I’ll try this out later and post the responses on this thread.

I know that I’m likely going to offend some people with this comment, but I believe that its mostly a maturity issue. There are a lot of atheists that tend to “walk around with a chip on their shoulder”, ready to go to war with anything “religious” at the drop of a dime. As most atheists start to mature in their worldview, they tend to relax a bit, realizing what their true enemies are. They learn that it takes too much energy to spend your time fighting the wrong thing, or shooting at the wrong target.

Honestly, a person who gets offended by a Christian saying “God Bless You” just really needs a hug, and preferrably a hug from a Christian!

Signature 

Don’t get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

- Bruce Lee -

2 of 4