3 of 4
God Bless You
Posted: 28 December 2011 08:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
Cloak - 27 December 2011 10:14 PM

Honestly, a person who gets offended by a Christian saying “God Bless You” just really needs a hug, and preferrably a hug from a Christian!

I like hugs, but some people do not. And if a person “just really needs a hug,” then why not offer up a hug rather than a God bless you. Much more effective IMO.

I’ve stayed out of this thread because I don’t like to be too nit-picking, but…
If someone says GBY after I sneeze, I ignore it and no, it doesn’t bother me. When I spend three weeks in less-than-desirable conditions volunteering in Louisiana after Katrina and someone says God bless you sir for all your help, I take it in stride on the outside. But honestly, on the inside it does bother me that people believe God has sent me to help or that God has anything to do with anything. I don’t lose sleep, but I get annoyed as I do when exposed to any sort of ignorance.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 28 December 2011 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2007-08-31
George - 18 December 2011 04:06 PM

If I had to object to saying “bless you,” I would probably have to change my last name first to avoid sounding like a hypocrite. My last name means “blessed” in Latin.

Aha! So it is in this song….

Sanctus, Sanctus, Sanctus
  Dominus Deus Sabaoth.
  Pleni sunt caeli et terra gloria tua.
  Hosanna in excelsis.
  Benedictus qui venit in nomine Domini.
  Hosanna in excelsis.

Praised are you in the name of the Lord!

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 28 December 2011 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Joined  2008-04-07

So George shares a name with a Renaissance alchemist from the Sorcerer’s Stone???

Signature 

Posted: 28 December 2011 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Why get one’s panties in a bunch?  Our language changes word meanings all the time.  Consider the words we use in anger for bodily functions or parts.  We don’t really refer to feces, urine, copulation, or genetalia when we say them.  Similarly, “oh, hell”, “go to hell”, “damn” or “Goddamn” don’t really have any religious meaning when used, again, usually in anger.  So why get micturated off at the use of that phrase in response to a sneeze?  Most times the person hasn’t even attached any religious meaning to it.  Rather, it’s a common response that seldom has any meaning.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 28 December 2011 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
Occam. - 28 December 2011 10:14 AM

Why get one’s panties in a bunch?  Our language changes word meanings all the time.  Consider the words we use in anger for bodily functions or parts.  We don’t really refer to feces, urine, copulation, or genetalia when we say them.  Similarly, “oh, hell”, “go to hell”, “damn” or “Goddamn” don’t really have any religious meaning when used, again, usually in anger.  So why get micturated off at the use of that phrase in response to a sneeze?  Most times the person hasn’t even attached any religious meaning to it.  Rather, it’s a common response that seldom has any meaning.

Occam

Very true. I differentiate the sneeze reflex from the person who looks deep into the eyes with great gratitude and sincere God Bless You. Just bein’ honest.  smile

Signature 

Posted: 28 December 2011 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  6166
Joined  2009-02-26
Occam. - 28 December 2011 10:14 AM

Occam

When most people ask “how are you today” it does not necessarily mean they are interested in your health. Most likely they do not want to hear about all your woes. But it is a social acknowledgement. I believe its called “stroking”

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 28 December 2011 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  1777
Joined  2007-10-22

Okay group;  What’s your reaction to God Damn It; particularly if you just pounded your thumb with a hammer or some such. ohh

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 28 December 2011 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
garythehuman - 28 December 2011 03:20 PM

Okay group;  What’s your reaction to God Damn It; particularly if you just pounded your thumb with a hammer or some such. ohh

I might feel insulted that you put the blame on god. It was your stupidity that caused the mishap….... LOL

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 28 December 2011 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I feel much better knowing that the stupid hammer that hit my thumb will be consigned to hell after being damned by god as I commanded god to do.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 28 December 2011 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Occam. - 28 December 2011 05:30 PM

I feel much better knowing that the stupid hammer that hit my thumb will be consigned to hell after being damned by god as I commanded god to do.  LOL

Occam

Your logic remains impeccable…. cheese

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 28 December 2011 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Total Posts:  3256
Joined  2011-08-15

These phrases are just a cultural habit to most people anyway and don’t carry the original meaning that if you don’t bless the sneezer immediately then he may lose his/her soul through the mouth. Personally I’m not offended if someone uses the phrase after I sneeze and don’t respond after being unintentionally blessed. If I responded negatively they would be shocked! Instead of “goddamit” Gary, how about “bloody hell”? Pretty much means the same thing, eh? It’s not what you say but how you say it that counts. That’s why it’s sometimes hard to get your point across in script. There’s no body language to enhance the meaning, even if the language is foreign to you, ex Gesundheit.

Cap.t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 29 December 2011 02:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Total Posts:  2715
Joined  2011-04-24
garythehuman - 28 December 2011 03:20 PM

Ah, I often respond to those situations with the “f” word, or the “s” word.  However, God Damnit is fine by me, it doesn’t really bring any feelings of religious conformity to my mind.  Many words are used without concious thought.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 29 December 2011 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Total Posts:  582
Joined  2010-04-19
traveler - 28 December 2011 08:01 AM

Honestly, a person who gets offended by a Christian saying “God Bless You” just really needs a hug, and preferrably a hug from a Christian!

I like hugs, but some people do not. And if a person “just really needs a hug,” then why not offer up a hug rather than a God bless you. Much more effective IMO.

If someone says GBY after I sneeze, I ignore it and no, it doesn’t bother me. When I spend three weeks in less-than-desirable conditions volunteering in Louisiana after Katrina and someone says God bless you sir for all your help, I take it in stride on the outside. But honestly, on the inside it does bother me that people believe God has sent me to help or that God has anything to do with anything. I don’t lose sleep, but I get annoyed as I do when exposed to any sort of ignorance.

I think you’re looking too much into it, friend. When people say “God Bless you”, it’s not like they are saying, “Gosh, it’s sure good that God forced you to do something good for me, otherwise, I would be out of luck!” They are simply openly wishing that the god they believe in bestows his favor upon you. This is actually a very kind gesture, regardless of whether or not you believe in that God. The intent is what’s most important, in my opinion.

Perhaps you are misinterpreting the phrase. Try to expand it a little, and it is nothing more than, “I really hope that God blesses you for what you have done.”

Signature 

Don’t get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

- Bruce Lee -

Posted: 29 December 2011 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

I agree, when the intent is that of good will or gratitude, it is useless to be critical of how it is expressed. “Never look a gift horse in the mouth”

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 30 December 2011 08:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
Cloak - 29 December 2011 07:50 PM
traveler - 28 December 2011 08:01 AM

I think you’re looking too much into it, friend. When people say “God Bless you”, it’s not like they are saying, “Gosh, it’s sure good that God forced you to do something good for me, otherwise, I would be out of luck!” They are simply openly wishing that the god they believe in bestows his favor upon you. This is actually a very kind gesture, regardless of whether or not you believe in that God. The intent is what’s most important, in my opinion.

Perhaps you are misinterpreting the phrase. Try to expand it a little, and it is nothing more than, “I really hope that God blesses you for what you have done.”

Still, I’d prefer a hug. If you could share that with your friends…  cheese

Signature 

3 of 4