Greetings!
Posted: 19 December 2011 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2011-12-19

My wife bought god is Not Great at some point in the past few years, loaned it to our daughter some time back and, when I learned of Christopher Hitchens’ death, I got it back from our daughter.  I was mostly interested in reading it because I wanted more insight into his intellect.  I kind of figured out for myself in about 6th grade that I couldn’t buy the whole religion thing and remember writing on a friend’s basement wall at the time, “If God did not exist, man would create him”... or something like that.  I definitely went through a deep interpersonal exploration phase in the 70’s but still never really got into the divine being stuff.

So, anyway, I only read a couple of chapters of the book last night but it had a fairly profound impact on me.  Yes, I already “got it” about the God thing and I believed that religion has always been about power, not redemption, but his examples of fairly recent events all in one place scared the crap outta me!  I went to sleep very disturbed and woke up thinking, if we are to preserve our country’s democracy and avoid the “tyranny of the majority” that I fear is not too far away, those of us who aren’t buying the party line, i.e., Christianity, need to be heard as well as seen.

So, here I am!  My family is, for the most part, fairly close to my beliefs.  I think my mother finally gave up her religious beliefs in the past few years because she has seen all the evil committed against humans and no God there to help them out.  My wife’s family is classic Religious Right!  I just go along to get along and I always respect others’ beliefs but I will not back down from making it clear that WE ARE NOT ALL THE SAME!!!  I think that her mother, who has lived in the same rather small Texas community for probably 60-70 years thinks that way as does my wife’s step father who has the same experience.  In fact, that almost seems to be the NORM in Texas although I live close to Austin which seems to be the most open minded place to be in Texas.

That’s it for now, I look forward to mainly supporting the effort, not so much spouting my thoughts.  grin

Brad

Signature 

“[O]wners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are god. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are gods.”
― Christopher Hitchens, The Portable Atheist: Essential Readings for the Non-believer

Posted: 20 December 2011 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1777
Joined  2007-10-22

Welcome Brad.

Like your signature.

IMO, religion is a human invented social tool that can be used for many purposes, both good and evil depending the human using it.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 20 December 2011 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  4860
Joined  2007-10-05

Welcome to the CFI forums Brad. How close are you to Austin? I live in Round Rock.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 20 December 2011 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  7614
Joined  2007-03-02

Welcome Brad.  Glad to have you here.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 20 December 2011 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-12-19

Darron,

The other side of Austin… San Marcos!

Signature 

“[O]wners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are god. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are gods.”
― Christopher Hitchens, The Portable Atheist: Essential Readings for the Non-believer

Posted: 20 December 2011 10:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

San Marcos is a pretty town. Are you old enough to remember Aquarena Springs? I went there many times when I was a young’n.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 21 December 2011 07:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-12-19
DarronS - 20 December 2011 10:02 PM

San Marcos is a pretty town. Are you old enough to remember Aquarena Springs? I went there many times when I was a young’n.

Oh, yes, I was working for then Southwest Texas State University when they bought it and we feasted on Ralph the Swimming Pig… not really, just starting rumors.  ;-} 

I still work here, now with Texas State University, and have been involved with Aquarena quite a bit.  I’m from the D/FW area so I didn’t visit it the way it was before until the early 1980’s. 

Heard lots of stories from the folks here longer than me.  Alligators escaping into the San Marcos River during floods.  The archery team practicing on nutrias.  Pumping water directly from the springs and serving it in the old restaurant.

Brad

Signature 

Posted: 21 December 2011 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
BradMM - 21 December 2011 07:52 AM

Oh, yes, I was working for then Southwest Texas State University when they bought it and we feasted on Ralph the Swimming Pig… not really, just starting rumors.  ;-}

Hey, I like dead pig; especially slow-cooked over mesquite. wink

Signature