Justin Bieber and Santa Claus
Posted: 19 December 2011 07:12 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4108
Joined  2006-11-28

I thought this story contained more than a little irony, or perhaps egregious doublethink?

“My mom always told me there wasn’t a Santa,” Bieber said in a new interview…“This was her logic: She thought if I grew up knowing about Santa then finding out he wasn’t real, that it would be like she was lying to me. And then when she told me about God, I maybe wouldn’t believe her,” he explained. “So she just wanted to be straight-up and honest with me all the time.”

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 19 December 2011 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  2717
Joined  2011-04-24

smirk  It is a little confusing, but he’s adorable and rich so he doesn’t have to show much cognitive ability to get by.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 20 December 2011 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  3351
Joined  2011-11-04
mckenzievmd - 19 December 2011 07:12 PM

I thought this story contained more than a little irony, or perhaps egregious doublethink?

“My mom always told me there wasn’t a Santa,” Bieber said in a new interview…“This was her logic: She thought if I grew up knowing about Santa then finding out he wasn’t real, that it would be like she was lying to me. And then when she told me about God, I maybe wouldn’t believe her,” he explained. “So she just wanted to be straight-up and honest with me all the time.”

Irony, yes, but I agree with the mom’s underlying logic.  (She wanted him to wind up believing in God, and he, apparently does.)

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

‹‹ C’mon, lighten up! :-)      Dilbert ››