Coming to this discussion late, as usual.
1. “Time Bandits”, Probably my favorite, (and seemingly no one else’s), a Pythonesque romp by Terry Gilliam with a great cast. Every time I see it I laugh at a scathing allusion to mythology or religion I missed before. It’s so rare to find people who like it that whenever I cite it as a favorite I end up thinking I should get my meds checked.
2. A little movie called “Lawn Dogs”, starring a young Sam Rockwell.
3. “African Queen”, Hepburn and Bogey, how can you miss.
4. “Bridge Over the River Quai”, a great tale about getting swept up in an idea and disillusionment.
5. “Life of Brian”, of course.
6. “Breaker Morant”, another cautionary tale.
7. “A Boy and His Dog”, I’ve only seen it once, but anything that has stayed in my mind so long has to get onto the list.
It’s pretty hard to continue the list in any coherent way, I’m not a huge movie buff and I like a lot of different movies for different reasons.