7 of 7
Top Ten Movies
Posted: 12 July 2012 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 91 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26
Thevillageatheist - 11 July 2012 07:33 PM

Yeah, but I love the classic Japanese sci fI flicks, Godzilla, Reptillicus, Mothra, ah guys in rubber suits stomping diorama cities. Those were the days my friend! Post atomic bomb monsters chasing screaming people through city streets while military jets make vain attempts to destroy them. And the voices don’t sinc with the speaker’s mouth. That always confused me as a kid. Everyone that is but the one American who seemed to figure out a way to kill the beast.

I love kaiju films!  And tokusatsu films!  They’re something of a lost art now with all the CGI and whatnot.  But they’re freaking awesome.  Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla and Godzilla vs Destroyah are amazing.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 12 July 2012 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 92 ]
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2009-07-17
mid atlantic - 11 July 2012 08:34 PM
Thevillageatheist - 11 July 2012 07:33 PM

Yeah, but I love the classic Japanese sci fI flicks, Godzilla, Reptillicus, Mothra, ah guys in rubber suits stomping diorama cities. Those were the days my friend! Post atomic bomb monsters chasing screaming people through city streets while military jets make vain attempts to destroy them. And the voices don’t sinc with the speaker’s mouth. That always confused me as a kid. Everyone that is but the one American who seemed to figure out a way to kill the beast.

Cap’t Jack

I like those too, as well as the American sci-fi flicks from the ‘50’s - 60’s.

Have you seen the movie Tarantula? It’s from 1955 and has a very young Clint Eastwood playing a bit role.

My favorite from that time period is Them. And the various Abbot and Costello meets <insert monster>. LOL (Although

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 12 July 2012 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 93 ]
Total Posts:  2886
Joined  2011-08-15

My favorite from that time period is Them. And the various Abbot and Costello meets <insert monster>. LOL (Although

Take care,

Derek

Oh yeah, big classic monster fan as well! My cousin from the Santa Barbara area took us to the very theater where the movie Frankenstein first premiered. we watched Men in Black II there. What a thrill! BTW Derek, did you earlier mention that you painted miniatures? That’s another hobby of mine. I paint 15 mm military miniatures for war games. It keeps me sane.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 12 July 2012 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 94 ]
Joined  2009-07-17
Thevillageatheist - 12 July 2012 12:11 PM

BTW Derek, did you earlier mention that you painted miniatures? That’s another hobby of mine. I paint 15 mm military miniatures for war games. It keeps me sane.

Cap’t Jack

Yes, in the grand scheme of things… However, not for many years though, because all my painting gear and mini’s got put in storage when our second child was born. We’re in the process of whittling down the sheer volume of cra… I mean stuff we have in the house. grin Most of what I paint is for role-playing games and fantasy and sci-fi war-games. I’ve always shied away from the historical ones because of their (IMO) slow game play. I recall a gaming convention I went to decades ago where a huge historical game was being played. I watched for about 15 minutes and very little happened. I came back by the table a couple of hours later and I swear none of the units had moved. wink

A historical game I’m interested in is Flames of War which has pretty quick gameplay. Although like any hobbies, with family and work making the time isn’t very easy.

Do you focus on specific periods? What rules do you use?

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 12 July 2012 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 95 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Very familiar with flames but I use various rules sets depending on the time period. I built 11 games plus terrain features suitable for any scenario. Two are naval games and are really my favorite, Ironclads, and Trafalgar. My favorite land battle is Waterloo. I painted 1300 castings for it including cav and rocket batteries. The earliest time period is the Boudiccan revolt against Rome. That was fun. Each Celtic shield had an individual design for 200 castings. Also painted 100 castings of armor for the battle of Kursk. I used these for my military history class. The rules set I used the most was Age of Reason as it covers various time periods from the 1600’s through the 19th Century. I agree it’s a slow game But can be sped up if the players don’t bicker over the minutiae. Gamers can be such babies and picky as hell. But as I was the DM at school I could control the time by limiting movement to less than 5 minutes by using an egg timer. That worked well and forced the kids to preplan,  making the game go at a faster pace. I also tested them on the rules before they even set up the scenario.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 12 July 2012 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 96 ]
Joined  2009-07-17
Thevillageatheist - 12 July 2012 02:51 PM

Very familiar with flames but I use various rules sets depending on the time period. I built 11 games plus terrain features suitable for any scenario. Two are naval games and are really my favorite, Ironclads, and Trafalgar. My favorite land battle is Waterloo. I painted 1300 castings for it including cav and rocket batteries. The earliest time period is the Boudiccan revolt against Rome. That was fun. Each Celtic shield had an individual design for 200 castings. Also painted 100 castings of armor for the battle of Kursk. I used these for my military history class. The rules set I used the most was Age of Reason as it covers various time periods from the 1600’s through the 19th Century. I agree it’s a slow game But can be sped up if the players don’t bicker over the minutiae. Gamers can be such babies and picky as hell. But as I was the DM at school I could control the time by limiting movement to less than 5 minutes by using an egg timer. That worked well and forced the kids to preplan,  making the game go at a faster pace. I also tested them on the rules before they even set up the scenario.

Cap’t Jack

Wow! 1300 minis?! That’s quite a few.

Gamers can indeed be big babies. LOL ‘Gotta win, gotta win!!’ grin

I do need to dig out some of my stuff and get painting as my 12 year old has become interested in Warhammer 40k and Fantasy. wink His little sister I’m sure will want to join in as well. :-D

You refer to them as castings, do you then cast your own? Or do you buy them? Or that’s just what you call them?

I’m not sure this is your tastes, but since you mentioned naval battles there’s this new steampunk naval battle game called Dystopian Wars. My wife and I thought it looked cool.

Take care,

Derek

[ Edited: 12 July 2012 03:16 PM by harry canyon ]
 Signature 

Posted: 12 July 2012 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 97 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Gamers can indeed be big babies. LOL ‘Gotta win, gotta win!!’ grin

I do need to dig out some of my stuff and get painting as my 12 year old has become interested in Warhammer 40k and Fantasy. wink His little sister I’m sure will want to join in as well. :-D

You refer to them as castings, do you then cast your own? Or do you buy them? Or that’s just what you call them?

Take care,

My son became a war hammer fanatic for a while and he and his friends used to play on weekends. He loved it and painted his own figs too. Castings is the name used for white metal figs. from 10mm to 120mm. The metal is a combo of tin and lead with Tin used mostly. I order them from an on line game shop called War web.com. They sell everything from military to fantasy and are very affordable. They are distributors for practically every manufacturer. Check it out sometime.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 12 July 2012 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 98 ]
Joined  2009-07-17
Thevillageatheist - 12 July 2012 03:20 PM

My son became a war hammer fanatic for a while and he and his friends used to play on weekends. He loved it and painted his own figs too. Castings is the name used for white metal figs. from 10mm to 120mm. The metal is a combo of tin and lead with Tin used mostly. I order them from an on line game shop called War web.com. They sell everything from military to fantasy and are very affordable. They are distributors for practically every manufacturer. Check it out sometime.

Cap’t Jack

Sounds cool. Although the last thing I need is another source of mini’s! grin (I’ve got boxes and boxes of unpainted ‘lead’ just taunting me. wink

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

Posted: 12 July 2012 06:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 99 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Sounds cool. Although the last thing I need is another source of mini’s! grin (I’ve got boxes and boxes of unpainted ‘lead’ just taunting me. wink

Same here. I buy them in packages and paint what I need. This causes a mega surplus. Thought about selling them on eBay just to save space.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 12 July 2012 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 100 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

I love kaiju films!  And tokusatsu films!  They’re something of a lost art now with all the CGI and whatnot.  But they’re freaking awesome.  Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla and Godzilla vs Destroyah are amazing.

Back on track so to speak, yeah these films are Definitely classics and the special effects were way ahead of their time and a little creepy as they were produced at the same time air burst nuclear testing was just being banned. We were all being bombarded with radiation and didn’t know it! But those movies scared and entertained us with radiation induced monsters. And hell, most people had little to no info on radioactivity in the 50’s. That’s why the Japanese movies were so freeky; it actually happened to them!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 14 July 2012 11:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 101 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24
Thevillageatheist - 12 July 2012 04:45 AM

Oh yes, saw that one. love the giant critters created by atomic fall out. How about The Kiler Shrews? Seen that one?

Cap’t Jack

No, but I looked it up, and it sounds great; something weird like killer shrews demands my attention. LOL

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 14 July 2012 11:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 102 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24

Back on track so to speak, yeah these films are Definitely classics and the special effects were way ahead of their time and a little creepy as they were produced at the same time air burst nuclear testing was just being banned. We were all being bombarded with radiation and didn’t know it! But those movies scared and entertained us with radiation induced monsters. And hell, most people had little to no info on radioactivity in the 50’s. That’s why the Japanese movies were so freeky; it actually happened to them!

Cap’t Jack

Damn, you’re right. I never thought about that before.

[ Edited: 14 July 2012 11:37 PM by mid atlantic ]
 Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 15 July 2012 08:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 103 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

No, but I looked it up, and it sounds great; something weird like killer shrews demands my attention.

Yeah Mid it’s a little corny you know, well meaning but mad scientist unleashes monster rodents on the World. His daughter, niece whatever usually screams throughout the flick and the handsome hero defeats the monster but hey that’s entertainment in the 50’s. Beats slasher films all to hell IMO.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 17 July 2012 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 104 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2012-07-13

I like…
Dead Poets Society
Plains Trains and Automobiles
Series of Unfortunate Events
The Spanish Prisoner (has Steve Martin in it)
Predator
Rudy
Awakenings
Red Dawn
Indiana Jones (all)
Star Trek (all the old ones)
Naked Gun (all) and Airplane
...more, but I can’t think of any more right now.

It’s wierd that there are so many movies others have listed that I doubt could get through if you paid me to watch them.  I started to watch A Clockwork Orange once and was shocked that anyone could get past the 2 minute mark.

Signature 

It is morally as bad not to care whether a thing is true or not, so long as it makes you feel good, as it is not to care how you got your money as long as you have got it.  Edmund Way Teale, Circle of the Seasons

7 of 7

‹‹ Top Ten Books      Christmas ››