Hello
Posted: 22 December 2011 04:22 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2011-11-05

It was great to meet folks from this neck of the woods at the recent Solstice party in Ann Arbor. I’m looking forward to meeting more “inquiring” types, and learning more about CFI.

I am recently unchurched, after nearly pursuing a career as a pastor, including an MA in pastoral ministry. I never was fundamentalist, and remain friends with some very progressive Christians who understand that the bible is a myth, that questions and uncertainty are healthy, and that what is important is how we live, not what happens after we die.  People in mainline churches joke about “graduating” kids out of church when doing “Confirmation,”  usually at about age 12. Well, I guess I needed to graduate from seminary before I could fly—call me a slow learner.  Perhaps I’ll still find a way to continue to help with life celebrations like weddings and memorials.

What is important to me? Three things: Affirming the value and joyful wonder of each person and creature and element of nature. Coming together to enjoy life, explore questions and unite resources to make a difference in the world. Taking science seriously to make informed ethical decisions about our life on this planet and the hope for a future worth living for the generations to come.

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”
― Margaret Mead

Signature 

The Muddler (Diane)

Posted: 22 December 2011 04:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6162
Joined  2009-02-26
Diane Jonas Locker - 22 December 2011 04:22 AM

It was great to meet folks from this neck of the woods at the recent Solstice party in Ann Arbor. I’m looking forward to meeting more “inquiring” types, and learning more about CFI.

I am recently unchurched, after nearly pursuing a career as a pastor, including an MA in pastoral ministry. I never was fundamentalist, and remain friends with some very progressive Christians who understand that the bible is a myth, that questions and uncertainty are healthy, and that what is important is how we live, not what happens after we die.  People in mainline churches joke about “graduating” kids out of church when doing “Confirmation,”  usually at about age 12. Well, I guess I needed to graduate from seminary before I could fly—call me a slow learner.  Perhaps I’ll still find a way to continue to help with life celebrations like weddings and memorials.

What is important to me? Three things: Affirming the value and joyful wonder of each person and creature and element of nature. Coming together to enjoy life, explore questions and unite resources to make a difference in the world. Taking science seriously to make informed ethical decisions about our life on this planet and the hope for a future worth living for the generations to come.

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”
― Margaret Mead

Welcome DJL,

Looking forward to your posts. If I may make a small suggestion. On a topic which is of general interest, the main forum will most likely afford a larger audience and response.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 22 December 2011 04:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2011-11-05

Thanks for the tip! (We’ll see whether I can be a quicker student about posting to blogs… )

Signature 

The Muddler (Diane)

Posted: 22 December 2011 05:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6162
Joined  2009-02-26
Diane Jonas Locker - 22 December 2011 04:44 AM

Thanks for the tip! (We’ll see whether I can be a quicker student about posting to blogs… )

Use the quote button to quote a whole post or you can copy and [ quote ] paste passage [/ quote ] (no spaces) to which you want to respond.
When you get the hang of it the engine is very user friendly.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U