Believer here with a few quick answers
- understanding God would be like a slug understanding you
That is such a duplicitous statement and filled with hubris. Yes, man is a slug, except for the few who “know” and “understand” god, how he created the universe and why. They were able to write an entire book about him, filled with details of purpose ant intent. They are the “super slugs” who will show the mere slugs how to be good slugs.
Darwin, Einstein, Newton, Freud, Huxley, Paine (to name a few) were just educated slugs, but never quite made it to super slug, they just figured out how it all works, not why.
- every concept we have is a human concept
That is a true statement. And that is why man has created god in his image. But in our humility we concede that we are made in his image, slugs.
- though there are billions of believers not many believe God is human
But yet he has human qualities, love, anger, vengefulness, the things that make us human.
- though many believe he became human - and acts through humans
- anyhow, our concepts really only apply to humans
Just like a slug’s concepts only apply to slugs.
- but we like to apply them to other animals and beings
How misguided, the universe only applies to humans. Animals were just a by product, created for us humans (slugs) to dominate.
- we shouldn’t, but what else are we going to do..?
How about acting like humans, not slugs? If you don’t know, say so honestly. It’ll just make you agnostic, not such a bad deal.
Actually, you would gain the respect of many educated slugs.