2 of 4
what do athiests believe?
Posted: 24 December 2011 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  636
Joined  2010-07-01

I was wrong. Sobpatricks brain stopped at 15 posts. Dammit I always do that! I give Deists more credit than they really deserve.

Posted: 24 December 2011 10:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26
ExMachina - 24 December 2011 07:52 PM

I was wrong. Sobpatricks brain stopped at 15 posts. Dammit I always do that! I give Deists more credit than they really deserve.

It is hard to resist an argument which you know you will win…. smile

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 25 December 2011 08:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
Write4U - 24 December 2011 10:23 PM

It is hard to resist an argument which you know you will win…. smile

That’s why they call it faith. Yeah, it’s ridiculous.. but believe it! Or else.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 28 December 2011 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

If I remember correctly, sobpatrick is a habitual drive-by poster, which is why I didn’t respond to this thread..

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 28 December 2011 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

tongue laugh I choked when I read that!!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 10 January 2012 03:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2012-01-10

An atheist believes he change the mind of a God believer. But that is like trying to make a homosexual straight.

Signature 

I, therefore I AM.

Posted: 10 January 2012 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
LuckyBezel - 10 January 2012 03:13 PM

An atheist believes he change the mind of a God believer. But that is like trying to make a homosexual straight.

Wrong.
Homosexuals do not ‘believe’ they are homosexuals. They are.  But they might believe in a god, for which there is a cure, scientific truth.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 10 January 2012 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-01-10
Write4U - 10 January 2012 03:27 PM

Wrong.
Homosexuals do not ‘believe’ they are homosexuals. They are.  But they might believe in a god, for which there is a cure, scientific truth.

You must know homosexuals personally—and since I don’t—you must be right by experience.

Signature 

I, therefore I AM.

Posted: 10 January 2012 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
LuckyBezel - 10 January 2012 03:37 PM

Wrong.

You must know homosexuals personally—and since I don’t—you must be right by experience.

As a male atheist having been married to the same woman for 45 years, I have had the good fortune to meet many homosexual people of each gender and of all faiths. I do indeed speak from experience and I can state with certainty that they are human, just like you…....surprise!!!

[ Edited: 10 January 2012 04:48 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

Posted: 10 January 2012 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  5187
Joined  2010-06-16

While I agree with you W4U, that isn’t quite what LuckyBezel said.  He wasn’t claiming homosexuality is a belief.  His statement only indicated that the difficulty of converting a theist to a non-theist would be about equivalent to trying to convert a homosexual to a heterosexual.  I too, have been married for 54 years, but serially to two women and have had some co-workers and some good friends who were homosexual and most of them were human.  I did have a male dog who was omnisexual. LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 10 January 2012 08:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2011-11-11
LuckyBezel - 10 January 2012 03:37 PM

Wrong.

I can absolutely positively guarantee that you know some homosexuals, no matter where you live or who you associate with.

Signature 

“It’s the same whether you’re a preacher, a lawyer, or a salesman. You start off with a person’s thought processes and then gradually sway him around to another way of thinking in a very short time.” - M. Gortner 1978

Posted: 11 January 2012 05:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  2886
Joined  2011-08-15

Speaking of which, did you see Rue Paul in NH yesterday? He went to several watering holes to explain to everyone that he was NOT running for pres. and shouldn’t be confused with RON Paul!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 11 January 2012 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

LuckyBezel,

Do you believe that homosexuality is a belief?

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 13 January 2012 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  908
Joined  2005-01-14
sobpatrick - 24 December 2011 12:36 AM

I see athiest seeing flour, eggs, milk and sugar on a counter - do nothing… wait 13 billion years and not only do you have cup cakes but you have eyeballs, fig trees and a Large Hadron Collider (if preserved in a vacuum) actually you don’t even need the eggs, milk or sugar - or counter - some would also say you don’t need the flour and of course you don’t need the baker…

is my little analogy way off the mark?

My immediate reaction to this “analogy” is that the poster doesn’t even try to understand what evolution is, he merely ridicules it with a reducto ad absurdum.  It would be as if one of us said, “Christians believe in a magical genie who blinked his eyes or wiggled his nose or something and the Earth just appeared!”  See what I mean?  When you put it that way, it sounds ridiculous, doesn’t it?

Most of us probably disbelieve in God for philosophical reasons that have little to do with evolution.  Evolution is just one attempt to explain where organized complexity comes from, knowing that God doesn’t exist.  Atheism would not vanish overnight if the theory of evolution turned out to be wrong.  It would be as Richard Dawkins once put it—we don’t have to know how living things originated to know that “God” by itself is not a sufficient explanation.

Posted: 13 January 2012 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-01-10
Write4U - 11 January 2012 02:30 PM

LuckyBezel,

Do you believe that homosexuality is a belief?

9 in 1O people believe that homosexuality is not a belief but rather a lifestyle.

Signature 

I, therefore I AM.

2 of 4

‹‹ A Clockwork Orange      Happy Holidays ››