Stuart Robbins - The End of the World as We Know It
Posted: 26 December 2011 09:37 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2009-06-02

Host: Karen Stollznow

Dr. Stuart Robbins is a postdoctoral researcher in astronomy at the University of Colorado, Boulder. His work focuses on planetary geophysics, and he’s currently researching craters on Mars, and on the moon. Stuart received his PhD in Astrophysics through the Geophysics program from the University of Colorado at Boulder.

Stuart has a special interest in astronomy education, especially correcting myths and misconceptions about astronomy. To that end, he has a blog entitled Exposing PseudoAstronomy, and a podcast by the same name. Since 2012 is supposed to be our last year on earth, again, Stuart dispels some claims about the Mayan Prophecy.

In this interview with Karen Stollznow, Stuart provides a rundown on the Mayan Long Calendar, and discusses the different calculations and end dates. He talks about the link, or lack thereof, between the calendar and the end of the world. Stuart talks about the many ways in which the world is supposed to end in 2012, via planetary lineups, galactic alignments, pole shifts, crustal displacement, solar flares, or the mysterious Planet X.

Stuart delves into metaphysical claims that 2012 isn’t the catastrophic end of the world, but represents some kind of beginning, or new age of transformation. Finally he tells us, when December 21, 2012 has come and gone, when is the next Armageddon?

http://www.pointofinquiry.org/stuart_robbins_the_end_of_the_world_as_we_know_it/

Posted: 08 January 2012 08:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-09-22

I really enjoyed this episode. Karen and Stuart kept the tone light, which is appropriate for this subject, but I did get enough information to point people the right direction when they spout 2012 nonsense! Thank you!

Posted: 10 January 2012 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2012-01-10

An excellent interview. I appreciated especially the detailed and thorough analysis Stuart Robbins made of each of the alleged “apocalyptic” claims, no matter how absurd they are: the planetary alignment, the crossing of the solar system through the galactic plane, the coming into sight of planet X… I think thats the proper way to tackle unscientific claims in an interview, however ludicrous. On a debate, perhaps some other incisive weapons could be used, particularly irony. Congratulations.

http://areasubliminal.com/category/english/superstition/endtimes/

Signature 

Consider, Sir, that those wich appear yonder, are not giants, but windmills.

Posted: 11 January 2012 04:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6011
Joined  2009-02-26

Good stuff.
Dr. Robbins also touched on a subject which I had seen on a tv presentation, i.e reversal of the earth’s magnetic field. Apparently this would weaken the magnetic shield and leave the earth vulnerable to the effects of solar flares.  I would have liked to hear a little more about that, but perhaps he did not want to sound alarmist. Every astrologer would have claimed proof of their predictions.

He also mentioned the Serpent rope. To anyone interested, below is a link for the mysticists about the Mayan Serpent rope and wormholes with pictures. It even mentions Carl Sagan, which proves a scientist can never be careful enough to be cited as confirming woo.
http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/esp_autor_whenry02.htm

also a recent article on Discovery News regarding updates in the ‘Doomsday clock’
http://news.discovery.com/human/doomsday-clock-due-120110.html

[ Edited: 11 January 2012 04:52 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 10 March 2012 05:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-03-10

Dr. Robbins, you said “[you would need] ...starship Enterprise… ...and tractor beam… [to change the Earth’s precession]”

Please don’t encourage the nut cases with comments like this.  These people eat this stuff up.  In fact, almost ANYthing you say in jest is bound to be used as fact to back up their nutty ideas.  (tongue in cheek)

[ Edited: 10 March 2012 07:50 AM by jdevola ]

Posted: 10 March 2012 07:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-03-10
Write4U - 11 January 2012 04:46 AM

also a recent article on Discovery News regarding updates in the ‘Doomsday clock’
http://news.discovery.com/human/doomsday-clock-due-120110.html

What does the Doomsday Clock have to do with Doomsday predictions/prophesy?  Only the word Doomsday.

The Doomsday Clock is a symbolic representation of a conscience, speaking against Man’s propensity to destroy (doom) himself.
Whereas, Doomsday predictions/prophesies are predictions or prophesies of the end of the world (the world is doomed irrespective of Man’s involvement).

The article is horribly written, also.  It seems to have been written by a junior high school student, grammatical errors beginning with the very first sentence (the gist of the article, I guess).

My point is that you could have made a comment about the Doomsday Clock if you had some point to make in relation to the interview, but in any case, you should have passed on including the link to the Discovery article.  It does not add to the conversation (regarding the interview with Dr. Robbins) in my opinion.

Posted: 26 April 2012 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2009-06-03

This was a great episode about a somewhat lighter subject than recent episodes dealing with political topics. Very entertaining and still highly informative. Definitely one of my recent favorites.