2 of 9
nursing a baby
Posted: 29 December 2011 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

I think evo sounds kinda cool wink

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 29 December 2011 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2011-12-28

Some of the earlier responders accused me of sleeping during biology class. I’d be the first to admit that I don’t know everything. Do all of you know EVERYTHING? I’m here requesting info. I asked for an explanation.

Why have some of you brought up the subjects of the Bible and God? I expected my responders to be atheists and agnostics. What’s with you guys?

Signature 

What I’m asking for is the freedom to follow
the evidence wherever it leads. ~ Richard Sternberg

Posted: 29 December 2011 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  3206
Joined  2011-08-15

Ok, you asked for an explanation and you received one;several in fact. You might want to reread everyone’s carefully detailed posts responding to your inquiry. If we seem incredulous it is because your op sounds like an argument that a creationist may make. That is why I assumed that you were, especially with the “evo” sobriquet. Remember that this is a skeptic site so most if not all of us are either atheists or agnostics. What did you expect?

cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 29 December 2011 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  6118
Joined  2009-02-26
upwardlook1 - 29 December 2011 07:40 PM

Some of the earlier responders accused me of sleeping during biology class. I’d be the first to admit that I don’t know everything. Do all of you know EVERYTHING? I’m here requesting info. I asked for an explanation.

Why have some of you brought up the subjects of the Bible and God? I expected my responders to be atheists and agnostics. What’s with you guys?

Well great. Your questions implied a purposefully directed simultaneous single creation of all these characteristics. Aside from the (my) assumptions, did any of the answers satisfy your questions?

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 29 December 2011 09:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

No, I don’t know everything, and don’t claim to know everything, but I have enough of an education to know where to look for the answers. You know so little of elementary biology—classwork my sons received in middle school, it is hard to believe there is any other answer other than that you slept through the class. I can’t believe you would have a teacher so inept as to be unable to get the concept of how evolution works. That would just be sad.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 29 December 2011 09:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-12-28

Some have suggested that I should go to youtube and wiki for scientific info. I go to those sources when I want to study history and philosophy, or if I want to be entertained. I’m surprised you go to those places for science. I mean really- what’s up with you guys?!

Why think of me as a cre? It’s just that some of us freethinkers do not accept evolution as the answer to every question.

I’d like to thank all of you for your input. This has been great. Thanks for your time.

Signature 

Posted: 29 December 2011 09:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
asanta - 29 December 2011 09:25 PM

No, I don’t know everything, and don’t claim to know everything, but I have enough of an education to know where to look for the answers. You know so little of elementary biology—classwork my sons received in middle school, it is hard to believe there is any other answer other than that you slept through the class. I can’t believe you would have a teacher so inept as to be unable to get the concept of how evolution works. That would just be sad.

But Genesis explains everything.

Isn’t it obvious, the word genesis explains genetics, the word biology explains flowers and bugs and other unnecessary stuff not worth studying….downer

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 29 December 2011 10:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
upwardlook1 - 29 December 2011 09:56 PM

Some have suggested that I should go to youtube and wiki for scientific info. I go to those sources when I want to study history and philosophy, or if I want to be entertained. I’m surprised you go to those places for science. I mean really- what’s up with you guys?!

Why think of me as a cre? It’s just that some of us freethinkers do not accept evolution as the answer to every question.

I’d like to thank all of you for your input. This has been great. Thanks for your time.

No, it was suggested that you enroll in a night school or jr college biology class. I accept evolution as the best answer we have to explain the evolution of life forms on this planet. It has stood the test of time, and we have continued to add and build upon this knowledge. Occasionally, something will be discovered to be erroneous. It is then corrected and we go on with the research.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 29 December 2011 10:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2009-05-10

? You’re the one coming to a forum for scientific info.

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 29 December 2011 10:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

Perhaps you may be a freethinker, but you do not seem to be a critical thinker. Wiki is an on-line encyclopedia on all subjects, including science. It cites sources and authors. If these scources are reliable they are just as valuable as reading a printed book by the same author or source. I offered that option as an alternative to not having access to printed materials by the same authors or sources.
You can find as much if not more information on Darwinian evolution (and links to contrary views) on Wiki, than from a single book which might cost 40 dollars or requires you to drive several miles (time and money) to the nearest library.
I agree that Youtube is much more general in nature, but even there (with some discretion) one can find lectures and videos on a host of serious topics by serious scientists.
The term freethinker does not mean much unless it is accompanied by critical (skeptical) thinking. You are free to think, but not make statements that a Platypus is not a mammal. It took me all of 5 minutes on Wiki, to disprove that statement. Do you call my quotes from Wiki on the subject of evolution as mere entertainment?  What’s up with you “Upwardlook1”?

[ Edited: 29 December 2011 11:16 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

Posted: 30 December 2011 12:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-12-28

W4U,

“Asanta wrote, ‘You DO realize that ALL mammals nurse their young, don’t you?’ What about the duckbill platypus? It is an exception to the idea that all mammals nurse their young.”
W4U,you missed my point about Db P. Asanta had said that ALL mammals nurse their young. I pointed out that the mammal known as platypus is an exception to that statement.
Of course I know the platypus is classified as a mammal! I was awake when that animal was mentioned in bio class.

Even high school students are not allowed to use wiki as a source when writing a paper for English class.

By your def I am certainly a freethinker because I am a skeptical thinker when it comes to macroevolution! (Be sure to look up *macroevolution* in wiki.)

‘What’s up with you “Upwardlook1”?’  My upward look, of course!

Signature 

Posted: 30 December 2011 12:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2009-05-10
upwardlook1 - 30 December 2011 12:03 AM

By your def I am certainly a freethinker because I am a skeptical thinker when it comes to macroevolution! (Be sure to look up *macroevolution* in wiki.)

Macroevolution is just aggregated microevolution. Why are you skeptical of it?

Signature 

Posted: 30 December 2011 01:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  4542
Joined  2007-08-31

upwardlook1,

All your questions and/or arguments are answered on talkorigins. If you have troubles to understand some of it, then just be not afraid to ask. There are a few evolution experts around here.

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 30 December 2011 03:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
upwardlook1 - 30 December 2011 12:03 AM

W4U,

“Asanta wrote, ‘You DO realize that ALL mammals nurse their young, don’t you?’ What about the duckbill platypus? It is an exception to the idea that all mammals nurse their young.”
W4U,you missed my point about Db P. Asanta had said that ALL mammals nurse their young. I pointed out that the mammal known as platypus is an exception to that statement.
Of course I know the platypus is classified as a mammal! I was awake when that animal was mentioned in bio class.

Strawman argument. Your original OP asked how it could be possible for a mother to deliver milk to a baby, taking into account all the conditions that need to be present. A Platypus is a mammal because it produces milk and delivers it to her baby. The fact that she does not do so by means of a teat, actually confirms the evolutionary process. A Platypus has no teats because its baby has no mouth with lips. And please don’t nitpick the term “nursing”.

Even high school students are not allowed to use wiki as a source when writing a paper for English class.

Another strawman argument. And obviously detrimental to the use of English language. I am from Holland and I cringe when listening to conversations or reading articles, by HS graduates. It is a wonder that some can spell their name.

8 in 10 Students Turn to Wikipedia for Research

http://campustechnology.com/articles/2010/03/23/8-in-10-students-turn-to-wikipedia-for-research.aspx

From Wiki

A philosophical discussion of whether macroevolution is reducible to microevolution, or if it stands as a separate process in evolution
Whether or not there are barriers that prevent microevolution, which creationists accept, from becoming macroevolution, which they reject

29+ Evidences for Macroevolution

The Scientific Case for Common Descent
Version 2.88

Copyright © 1999-2011 by Douglas Theobald, Ph.D.
[Last Update: September 30, 2011]

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/

Potential Falsification:

Thousands of new species are discovered yearly, and new DNA and protein sequences are determined daily from previously unexamined species (Wilson 1992, Ch. 8). At the current rate, which is increasing exponentially, nearly 30,000 new sequences are deposited at GenBank every day, amounting to over 38 million new bases sequenced every day. Each and every one is a test of the theory of common descent. When I first wrote these words in 1999, the rate was less than one tenth what it is today (in 2006), and we now have 20 times the amount of DNA sequenced.
Based solely on the theory of common descent and the genetics of known organisms, we strongly predict that we will never find any modern species from known phyla on this Earth with a foreign, non-nucleic acid genetic material.

And yes, I have read the entire paper. Can’t quote it unless you know what it contains no?

‘What’s up with you “Upwardlook1”?’  My upward look, of course!

Seems that the question remains, to what?

[ Edited: 30 December 2011 03:40 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

Posted: 30 December 2011 03:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

Signature 

W4U

2 of 9