1 of 2
Are we smart enough for ET to want to visit us?
Posted: 30 December 2011 05:22 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  292
Joined  2011-09-13

I seriously doubt it.

http://www.milkandcookies.com/link/282491/detail/

Posted: 31 December 2011 05:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  637
Joined  2010-07-01
deros - 30 December 2011 05:22 AM

I seriously doubt it.

http://www.milkandcookies.com/link/282491/detail/

Ambition > Intellect

Posted: 31 December 2011 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

And may I add:

Ego > Ambition > Intellect

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 31 December 2011 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  637
Joined  2010-07-01

tongue rolleye Sure, but then we must add,

1% Super Aliens > Ego > Ambition > Intellect

Posted: 01 January 2012 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Hmmm.  Interesting.  I’m guessing from your post immediately above, E.M., that your initial “Ambition > Intellect” applied to the aliens.  I misunderstood and assumed it applied to humans.  That’s why I added “Ego >”.  smile

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 16 January 2012 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2012-01-10

The question is, are we smart enough to capture them. Take away their technology and they are simply another life form albeit with a much larger brain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jJvz1JnD8Q

Signature 

I, therefore I AM.

Posted: 16 January 2012 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  3205
Joined  2011-11-04

I think the primary difference contained in that 1% that separates us from Chimps is the advanced verbal behavior abilties that enable us to have technologies.

ET’s that visit would probably have advanced verbal behavior as well (though their DNA profile would likely be completely different). 

The question is would they also have other intrinsic advanced abilities that enable them to do things beyond developing technologies.

And will evolution of homo-sapiens lead to a new species that has some additional advanced ability that leaves us in the dust in terms of “intelligence”.

Maybe the little gray men, so popular in ufology, are our descendants visiting from the future. grin

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 16 January 2012 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

To answer the orginal question:  Sure.  For the same reason Darwin visited the Galapagos.  The least interesting thing to them would be our mediocre level of intelligence.

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 16 January 2012 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  2424
Joined  2007-07-05

No!  They would just monitor us to create comedy show to be broadcast throughout the galaxy.

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Dumbest Planet in Known Space.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 16 January 2012 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

That idea has merit, too.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 16 January 2012 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  3205
Joined  2011-11-04
psikeyhackr - 16 January 2012 06:57 PM

No!  They would just monitor us to create comedy show to be broadcast throughout the galaxy.

psik

Ah Hah! So you did sort of like the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy!

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 16 January 2012 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  2424
Joined  2007-07-05
TimB - 16 January 2012 07:45 PM
psikeyhackr - 16 January 2012 06:57 PM

psik

Ah Hah! So you did sort of like the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy!

Just the title.  But the Known Space part comes from a real science fiction writer, Larry Niven.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 22 January 2012 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2012-01-22

Implying that ET in question is even smart enough to visit us themselves.. We could be so separate in the timeline that they’ve already reached their intelligent peak and destroyed themselves thousands of years ago or they could be in their stone age.. But that’s also implying there aren’t more than billions of possible forms of ET.. I’m just going in circles now.
All in all.. If I were an intelligent being and looked down on this earth, I would run far away..

Signature 

Same elements in Humans found in exploding stars.
Stars birthed earth and humanity.
God is a pregnant star.

Posted: 26 January 2012 08:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

Why assume ET would care about how smart we are if they can even make the journey to this planet?

They might care…if they’re out there and have developed the technical means to make intersteller spaceflight practical…but for all we know, they may just see us as an infestation to be removed, or served up as an exotic gourmet meal.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 26 January 2012 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  419
Joined  2007-08-24

There are many who believe that the aliens visited earth before.  Erich Von Daniken has written several books that have pointed out that the early monuments show clearly men from space.  Add to his work, there is another young man from Scotland who has spent years researching the same possibility.  Their research has been shown on the History Channel “Ancient Aliens.”  The results of the research makes a lot more sense than the stories of the Old Testament.  The premise of the series is the possibility that the aliens helped us humans build Stonehenge and the Pyramids. 

Whatever the truth, it is obvious that America and Europe have gone to great expense hiding what they know about the space ships that have crashed on our locations.  If this could be exposed it would kick the shit out of the Bible.

Posted: 26 January 2012 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Sandy,

I have always thought that von Däniken’s hypothesis was very interesting, but there is no evidence to prove any of it to be true. It sounds great, but as per the rules of the scientific method, I think it’s time to let go of von Däniken. But it was fun while it lasted. It least for me it was.  grin

1 of 2