2 of 2
Are we smart enough for ET to want to visit us?
Posted: 26 January 2012 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  419
Joined  2007-08-24

I have hundreds of carved space men as proof of the existence of something not of earth’s making.  You disprove what these monuments indicate.  There are dozens of new anthropological archaeologists who are taking the subject on.  My husband was a well-respected nuclear physicist who understood the possibility of these aliens.  Sure we met up with some real kooks who were looking for a new religion but there was much to question.  The consensus of opinion does not make anything true..

I did not start this thread but merely responded to it.  Shoot me!

Posted: 26 January 2012 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I am very aware of all the “evidence” presented by von Däniken in his books (I read all of them), but as reasonable as a lot of it sounds and looks, it is not an evidence for an extraterrestrial visit to our planet. As I said earlier, it’s an interesting and fun hypothesis, but that’s about it.

Posted: 26 January 2012 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15370
Joined  2006-02-14
Sandy Price - 26 January 2012 09:35 AM

There are many who believe that the aliens visited earth before.  Erich Von Daniken has written several books that have pointed out that the early monuments show clearly men from space.  Add to his work, there is another young man from Scotland who has spent years researching the same possibility.  Their research has been shown on the History Channel “Ancient Aliens.”  The results of the research makes a lot more sense than the stories of the Old Testament.  The premise of the series is the possibility that the aliens helped us humans build Stonehenge and the Pyramids. 

Sandy, sorry to say but Von Däniken is a crank who misinterprets the images he sees, since he’s completely ignorant about the histories and cultures involved. For one article of many on the subject from Skeptical Inquirer, see HERE. For skepdic see HERE. (With good citations below).

I would also suggest avoiding programs like “Ancient Aliens” if you want anything other than fiction.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 26 January 2012 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15370
Joined  2006-02-14
Sandy Price - 26 January 2012 10:32 AM

I have hundreds of carved space men as proof of the existence of something not of earth’s making.

How is a carving that looks like a space man proof of something extraterrestrial?

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 26 January 2012 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  3069
Joined  2011-11-04

I have hundreds of carved space men as proof of the existence of something not of earth’s making.  You disprove what these monuments indicate.  There are dozens of new anthropological archaeologists who are taking the subject on.  My husband was a well-respected nuclear physicist who understood the possibility of these aliens.  Sure we met up with some real kooks who were looking for a new religion but there was much to question.  The consensus of opinion does not make anything true..

I did not start this thread but merely responded to it.  Shoot me!

Any idea that is not in the most accepted scientific mainstream is subject to a barrage of potshots on these boards.  But if you can support an idea that is out of the mainstream it makes for interesting dialogue.  Maybe a better thread topic, for your perspective, would be “Are we smart enough to know if ET has visited us?”

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 26 January 2012 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  4812
Joined  2007-10-05

I have hundreds of carved space men as proof of the existence of something not of earth’s making.  You disprove what these monuments indicate.

The burden of proof is on you, Sandy. If you believe carved space men prove alien visitations you will have to provide other lines of evidence backing that claim. The die cast model of Gort sitting on top of my stereo receiver does not prove space aliens have visited Earth.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 27 January 2012 07:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2007-08-24

I respect the opinions of CIF but I do not understand the closed mindedness of the discussion of space.  I just received a book by Michael Cremo and Richard Thompson called “Forbidden Archeology” on the subject that science is not finished with us at this point in time.

Had there been more open mindedness hundred of years ago to fact check the bible, we would have done a hell of a lot better as humans trying to survive all our various cultures. 

Years ago my husband and I attended an evening dinner party where the discussion of our future in space was attended by Dr. Richard Feynman and Dr. Werner Von Braun.  My husband had known them during the time when he taught at CalTech.  These men were experts at splitting that tricky atom and had worked on the first accelerator that only needed a bigger space.  The study of space was also a point of discussion. 

My husband had a problem changing a burned out lightbulb but here he was in deep discussions of things that were so far over my head that I was stunned into silence.  Science is not yet finished with life in our universe. 

I will not bring up the subject again and I’m too damn old to research the subject.  But my brain will never stop trying to figure out what make us humans tick.

Posted: 27 January 2012 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  636
Joined  2010-07-01
Sandy Price - 27 January 2012 07:41 AM

I respect the opinions of CIF but I do not understand the closed mindedness of the discussion of space.  I just received a book by Michael Cremo and Richard Thompson called “Forbidden Archeology” on the subject that science is not finished with us at this point in time.

Had there been more open mindedness hundred of years ago to fact check the bible, we would have done a hell of a lot better as humans trying to survive all our various cultures. 

Years ago my husband and I attended an evening dinner party where the discussion of our future in space was attended by Dr. Richard Feynman and Dr. Werner Von Braun.  My husband had known them during the time when he taught at CalTech.  These men were experts at splitting that tricky atom and had worked on the first accelerator that only needed a bigger space.  The study of space was also a point of discussion. 

My husband had a problem changing a burned out lightbulb but here he was in deep discussions of things that were so far over my head that I was stunned into silence.  Science is not yet finished with life in our universe. 

I will not bring up the subject again and I’m too damn old to research the subject.  But my brain will never stop trying to figure out what make us humans tick.

I often find those who claim others to be closed minded, are the ones who refuse to consider both sides of an issue. Why not show stronger evidence to support your claim, rather than attack everyone for not agreeing with you?

Posted: 27 January 2012 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2007-08-24

I attack no one.  There is much that science has not touched on at this time.  I’m used to scientists who believe in research rather than slamming the door.  You can’t believe that you know it all.  If you do, then I was given the wrong impression of CFI.  Not a problem, I will log out.

Posted: 27 January 2012 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  4812
Joined  2007-10-05
Sandy Price - 27 January 2012 04:27 PM

I attack no one.  There is much that science has not touched on at this time.  I’m used to scientists who believe in research rather than slamming the door.  You can’t believe that you know it all.  If you do, then I was given the wrong impression of CFI.  Not a problem, I will log out.

Asking for better evidence than carved dolls and anecdotes is not “slamming the door.” We do not believe we know it all, but critical thinking demands better evidence than dolls and anecdotes.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 27 January 2012 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2007-08-24

There are many archaeologists working on this.  When they come up with something, I will let you know.

12 years ago I was a part of some music manusctipts that were discovered in one of the walls of the San Fernando Mission.  No written words just the music that seemed to come from a Spanish Padre.  Did this represent Mayan or Aztec music?  No! Anyone who understood the patterns of Bach or earlier composers gave it some research and a group I was involved with gathered to play what they saw.  It took years but it was worth the experience.  Would you have filed this stuff away searching for the dictionary needed to understand the meaning of the music?  We gathered music scholars all over the area of California and we solved the mystery.  We borrowed the computers/keyboards from Questa College and came as close to what was written on those parchments and the value of what we found paid for the damage done to the Mission during that awful earthquake. 

I have met many of the real scientists through my husband’s work but never run into such an attitude as is found here.  The subject matter I mentioned here is being investigated in England, Ireland, Wales and Scotland.  I think I understand why America is not part of much in the way of science these days.  My mistake.

Posted: 28 January 2012 12:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  636
Joined  2010-07-01
Sandy Price - 27 January 2012 04:59 PM

I have met many of the real scientists through my husband’s work but never run into such an attitude as is found here.  The subject matter I mentioned here is being investigated in England, Ireland, Wales and Scotland.  I think I understand why America is not part of much in the way of science these days.  My mistake.

Wow Sandy! Why are you so angry?

[ Edited: 28 January 2012 01:45 AM by ExMachina ]

Posted: 28 January 2012 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2011-03-05

We talked about this on the Reason podcast—If there were a city on pluto, we wouldn’t even know how to detect it. Hell, once you get to the moon, you can’t see any signs of life on earth, just a blue-green marble in the sky. Anywhere past that, we’re just a pale blue dot.

We have more important work to do than speculate about alien life. Hopefully, we’ll reach them before they reach us.

Posted: 28 January 2012 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Sandy, most of us here have been around for quite a while gathering information and experiences, so most of us, you and me included, tend to believe our ideas pretty strongly.  When someone presents a different view it’s quite easy for us to compare that with what we already believe and reject it out of hand.  This is usually done by intellignet people demanding more proof for the different idea and uneducated ones throwing in insults.  If we happen to have it at hand, great, but often we don’t recall details.  So, to my mind, the best course is to shrug, recognize that we aren’t going to convince each other and let the criticisms fade away.  smile

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 28 January 2012 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  3161
Joined  2011-08-15

Sandy, if you’re still reading posts I’m very intrigued about the findings on the music you found. Could you elaborate? For instance, was the music written in modern form using two staves or the original one? What a find indeed! Was it akin to the Gregorian chant style used by monks in the early 17th Century? Do you know the age of the mission? I had the opportunity of visiting the one in Santa Barbara but it dated to the late 18th Century. great restoration and many original artifacts there. Wow you and I do have some things in common. I met Werner Von Braun in Huntsville when he worked at the Redstone arsenal. My uncle worked for him on the Apollo projects. he was on the team that plotted the trajectory for the Apollo 13 moonshot. We ate lunch with some of his team in a German restaurant at the foot of Montesano. That was in 69’ if I remember. Also, don’t be discouraged by the skepticism, just take it for what it is.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

2 of 2