3 of 3
Will 2012 Be the Year of the Atheist?
Posted: 11 January 2012 07:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5187
Joined  2010-06-16

An example of cross-mating is that of the horse and the ass which results in a mule.  While the majority of them are sterile, some are fertile.

And, as I’ve mentioned before - of course cromagnons and neanderthals cross-mated.  After all, if it weren’t for neanderthal genes how would we explain the existence of neocons?  smile

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 11 January 2012 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
George - 11 January 2012 08:26 AM

And one more thing: I already commented on this elsewhere, but if you get your genome sequenced through 23andMe, you can find out how much of Neandertal DNA you have (for me it’s 2.8%). It’s only the beginning, but soon they should be able to tell us which parts of the genome those are, and in some cases we may even find out what what difference it makes.

The more people participate, the more accurate and sooner the results. Do it! Get your DNA sequenced!

My results were 1.6%, my brother 1.8%, my son 1.4% and my third cousin 1.5%.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 12 January 2012 03:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24
Thevillageatheist - 09 January 2012 05:11 PM

People have been making up gods and beings since the time we gained the ability to formulate an opinion

So, your contention is that despite the now continuous breakthroughs in science from astrophysics to mircobiology that mankind is further doomed to ignorance and superstition? That somehow the “god of the gaps” will widen the chasm and leap back to prominence answering all of life’s questions with a “that’s a mystery my son?” I don’t think so. As the pundits say, we may not be able to answer every mystery but science is ongoing and loves to fill in those pesky gaps. Fortunately (or unfortunately for those who believe in the good old days), we can’t go back to “inventing gods” as they mno longer serve a useful purpose, although Athena has always been my favorite. I just may take a goat to Nashville and sacrifice it to her 40 foot statue! Now, that’s impressive, nah they smell.

Cap’t Jack

I think he means that there will always be some people who are genetically inclined to magical thinking.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 13 January 2012 08:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2012-01-10

33 A.D. was the year of the Atheist—THEY KILLED GOD.

To me, openly NOT believing in God (atheism) is the same as openly believing in God (monotheistic religion) because both are a means to group participation and identification.

Signature 

I, therefore I AM.

Posted: 13 January 2012 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29

I see you are full of wisdom today, LuckyBezel. Did you know that every bit of your nonsense gets stored on a server that needs to be cooled down which adds to global warming? You might want to ask yourself: “Is my pseudo-intellectual babbling worth it”?

Posted: 13 January 2012 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2012-01-10
George - 13 January 2012 08:47 AM

I see you are full of wisdom today, LuckyBezel. Did you know that every bit of your nonsense gets stored on a server that needs to be cooled down which adds to global warming? You might want to ask yourself: “Is my pseudo-intellectual babbling worth it”?

My farts are the single greatest cause of global warming.

My wisdom comes from God.

Signature 

I, therefore I AM.

Posted: 13 January 2012 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29
LuckyBezel - 13 January 2012 08:56 AM

Indubitably.

Posted: 13 January 2012 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26
George - 13 January 2012 08:47 AM

My farts are the single greatest cause of global warming.

Yes, a lot of hot air.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 13 January 2012 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Total Posts:  1741
Joined  2007-10-22
LuckyBezel - 13 January 2012 08:38 AM

33 A.D. was the year of the Atheist—THEY KILLED GOD.

To me, openly NOT believing in God (atheism) is the same as openly believing in God (monotheistic religion) because both are a means to group participation and identification.

According to the Bible, Jesus was executed by the Roman’s for attacking the money changers in the temple, same as the US has purportedly done to Bin Laden.  Come on read your Bible before you preach.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 14 January 2012 04:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
George - 13 January 2012 09:01 AM

Indubitably.

tongue laugh <choke sputter>!!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 24 January 2012 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2012-01-23

I think the atheist community has made alot of progress worldwide this past year and I hope we keep up the momentum. The National Atheist Party’s Newsletter first issue was entitled The Year of the Atheist http://www.usanap.org/events/★national-atheist-party-newsletter★.html/
I tnk we have really begun to establish ourselves as a presence in many communities. Before we were a long ignored minority, in my opinion and our voice is getting stronger everyday. I don’t think “The Year of the Atheist” hinges on how much progress we make in laws or anything but more in how much noise and awareness we spread. As long as we are trying and speaking we are getting something done
I also don’t think that being openly atheist is like being openly Christian unless you are beligerant about it. I don’t have to be confrontational or try to convert you when I am an open atheist. Letting someone know what you are passionate about is a good thing if done the right way

Signature 

3 of 3