A Brief Introduction
Posted: 03 January 2012 08:29 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-01-03

I found this website via r/atheism, and am intrigued. I have been an atheist my entire life. In fact, I do not recall ever believing in a higher power or even in Santa.  I don’t remember this, but my mother says at age 3 I declared “there’s no way you can convince me a fat man flies thought the sky”. End of conversation. She didn’t bother with the tooth fairy.

I am married to a non-atheist, and have two children - one atheist and one too young to tell. I actively resist providing either with religious education until they’re old enough to think critically for themselves.  The oldest went through a girlfriend-induced bout of Christianity in high school, but has since recovered.  The youngest is aware of my husband’s and my differing views on the subject, but hasn’t really expressed any views of her own yet.

We live smack in the buckle of the bible belt, so I try to make sure my kids know there are differing views in other parts of the country/world. 

No one other than my immediate family is aware I’m an atheist. My New Year’s resolution is to begin to change that, and this is my first step.

Posted: 04 January 2012 07:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15398
Joined  2006-02-14

Welcome to the CFI Forum, Jcc123. Glad you found us! We have a number of folks here living in the Bible Belt, so I’m sure you’ll feel right at home.

Please jump right in and join the conversations!

Cheers,

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 04 January 2012 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

Welcome JCC!

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 04 January 2012 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  6120
Joined  2009-02-26

Welcome JCC

When I grew up in Holland , my family was the only atheist family in the entire town of 3000, so I understand your position.

Here, religion is only a small part of the abundance of interesting and informative discussions.
Looking forward to your posts.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 04 January 2012 07:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

We have similar childhoods, JCC.  At four my mother brought me to a department store to sit on Santa’s lap.  I saw his beard was fake, then another of them ringing a bell outside, and a third in another store.  Yet all the adults were talking as if he were real.  Having a healthy ego and already being a pragmatist, I decided that the adults were too dumb to realize santa was false, but I also decided to go along with their myths to assure I got the maximum number of gifts.  Similarly, when my aunt gave me a child’s bible I loved it because it was just one more great set of fairytales.  Fortunately, my parents moved to Southern California when I was young, and no one seemed to care about religion at all.  Most of my school friends were fairly agnostic so I never had a problem with coming out.

Welcome.  I’m sure you’ll enjoy discussions here.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 04 January 2012 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  4350
Joined  2010-08-15
Jcc123 - 03 January 2012 08:29 PM

I don’t remember this, but my mother says at age 3 I declared “there’s no way you can convince me a fat man flies though the sky”. End of conversation. She didn’t bother with the tooth fairy.

That’s down right beautiful.
Welcome!
Looking forward to hearing more.

grin

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 06 January 2012 07:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  3209
Joined  2011-08-15

Welcome Jcc. I live at the top of the buckle and can relate to your experiences. Our backgrouds are very similar as well. You’ll enjoy the people and their posts here!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 08 January 2012 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  475
Joined  2008-03-08

“non-atheist” lol. Welcome