3 of 3
Atheists face uphill climb with new political party
Posted: 07 January 2012 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  350
Joined  2008-12-11

There’s a national Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/National.Atheist.Party

And then there are state pages. For instance, since I’m in Brooklyn, I’d join https://www.facebook.com/groups/205092406200790/
. . . except that I’m not joining it since I don’t think it’s viable, for most of the reasons discussed above. But considering how small this party is, if any forum members want to join it to try to influence it . . . well, now’s your chance.

Posted: 07 January 2012 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  6162
Joined  2009-02-26

Unfortunately, due to fiscal restraints, I am unable to be socially active. Unless I win the lottery, I shall remain a disembodied voice in the wilderness….. excaim  question

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 07 January 2012 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  2715
Joined  2011-04-24
Thevillageatheist - 06 January 2012 06:04 AM

Do you mean secession Mike? Yea, the neocons would love that!!! They’d start backing up the trucks to put us in right now, barb wire off the territory and you have a concentration c… I mean reservation for freethinkers. Rick Sanctorum [sic] and his RC raiders would love that!!

Cap’t Jack

Yes, secession - thanks for embarrassing me in front of our friends! LOL  Seriously though, it will happen sooner or later.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 09 January 2012 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

@mid, I’m kinda of the same mind…but I’m not very sure of it.

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 09 January 2012 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

I tend to agree with those who contend that lack of belief in a deity is not sufficient to hold together a political party. I have met atheists who are all over the political spectrum. What happens when the party begins to craft a platform? Some of us are quite liberal, some fairly conservative, many somewhere in between. I just don’t see how you can line up candidates for office and get people to vote in large numbers just based on being atheists. But I could be wrong.

I would rather see atheists/humanists work within the existing parties. Get the GOP to tone down the religious crap. Get the Dems to actually stand up for their supposed social agenda and quit being scared to stand up to bullying from the religious organizations.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 09 January 2012 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2011-08-15

Yes, secession - thanks for embarrassing me in front of our friends!  Seriously though, it will happen sooner or later.

Oops, sorry about that Mike, no harm intended. I just wanted to be sure that secession was what you meant. And I agree with Free’s comment about working within the parties to accomplish more progressive ends. Separating ourselves off will allow the moderates and neocons to completely dominate both major parties as mentioned in an earlier post. Enen the republicans had a progressive wing at the turn of the century and it might be rebuilt, perhaps by fiscal moderates who happen to be atheistic.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

3 of 3