1 of 4
Hello. I’m a Christian
Posted: 07 January 2012 04:00 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2012-01-07

Hello All,

I’m a Christian, and I’m interested in discussions with atheists. I found this site while searching for atheist forums on Google. I hope to meet some interesting people and have some interesting discussions and friendly debates.

Sincerely,

Edward

Signature 

Then Jesus said, “Do not let your hearts be troubled; you believe in God. Believe also in Me. (VGJC 44:17)

Posted: 07 January 2012 04:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  232
Joined  2011-09-13
Egor - 07 January 2012 04:00 AM

Hello All,

I’m a Christian, and I’m interested in discussions with atheists. I found this site while searching for atheist forums on Google. I hope to meet some interesting people and have some interesting discussions and friendly debates.

Sincerely,

Edward

Hello Edward and welcome.  I think you will find many on here who are willing to discuss views with you.

Posted: 07 January 2012 06:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Hello and welcome to the CFI Forum, Egor.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 07 January 2012 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  5184
Joined  2010-06-16

Welcome, Egor.  Could you give some examples of the areas in which you like to debate? 

However, I should point out that some of us here prefer to discuss rather than debate.  Since we see the belief or disbelief in a god as unprovable on either side, we consider it a matter of faith on both sides.  As such, it’s often a waste of time arguing or debating with the motivation of converting the other.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 07 January 2012 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
Occam. - 07 January 2012 10:40 AM

Since we see the belief or disbelief in a god as unprovable on either side, we consider it a matter of faith on both sides.

Well now, Occam, I don’t believe that. wink

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 07 January 2012 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Now, now, Doug.  I carefully used the word “some” (changing from my first choice of “most”) in the prior sentence.  The “we” refers to that “some of us” (in respect for those who hold untenable views).  cool smile

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 07 January 2012 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-07
Occam. - 07 January 2012 10:40 AM

Welcome, Egor.  Could you give some examples of the areas in which you like to debate? 

However, I should point out that some of us here prefer to discuss rather than debate.  Since we see the belief or disbelief in a god as unprovable on either side, we consider it a matter of faith on both sides.  As such, it’s often a waste of time arguing or debating with the motivation of converting the other.

Occam

I find that very interesting, and while I have become jaded to the idea of ever hearing anything new in atheist/theist discussions, that one took me by surprise, and I have to do something I never thought possible: agree. I agree, ultimately the existence of God cannot be proven, nor can the non-existence be proven. It is faith on either side.

Of course, I think faith may well be the highest form of mental functioning possible for any living creature in the universe—and that’s the kind of thing I like to discuss. But also, I’d like to just read what others are posting and weigh in on their topics.

Debate may not have been my best word choice. Discuss is better. Thanks for the Welcome.

Ed

dougsmith - 07 January 2012 06:00 AM

Hello and welcome to the CFI Forum, Egor.

Thank you very much, Doug. I’m glad to have found this forum.

deros - 07 January 2012 04:32 AM

Hello Edward and welcome.  I think you will find many on here who are willing to discuss views with you.

Thanks, Deros.

Signature 

Then Jesus said, “Do not let your hearts be troubled; you believe in God. Believe also in Me. (VGJC 44:17)

Posted: 07 January 2012 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

I think faith may well be the highest form of mental functioning possible for any living creature in the universe

Now, there’s something worth discussing.  Although most of my belliefs are by faith, e.g., that Antarctica exists, that Francium and Astitine will react to form a salt, that Mozart wrote the music attributed to him, etc., I haven’t the time, resources, ability, or even interest in first hand verification so I am forced to accept those sources I think are creditable.  However, I feel that faith is a weak substitute for that first hand verification. 

My pets always came running if they were hungry and I showed up because they had faith that I would feed them.  Or was it just conditioning?  And if so, is faith also just a matter of early conditioning in reference to the source initially claiming whatever one has faith in?

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 07 January 2012 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

Well, all of these claims depend on definitions. “Faith” as I define it is belief without evidence, or belief contrary to the evidence. As such, and as practiced by most people, it is arguably the lowest form of mental functioning possible for any living creature in the universe.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 07 January 2012 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

As is so often the case, disagreements aren’t substantive but mainly based on different definitions for the words.  Using your definition of faith, Doug, I would agree.  Since my definition is belief without first-hand evidence, it’s apparent that we are not really talking about the same thing.  smile

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 07 January 2012 09:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26

Welcome Egor,

I think faith may well be the highest form of mental functioning possible for any living creature in the universe

Would you care to explain that statement?  In what way do you consider faith a high form of mental functioning?

Perhaps this might make a good title for a seperate thread. “Is faith a high form of mental functioning”

[ Edited: 07 January 2012 09:04 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 07 January 2012 09:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Occam. - 07 January 2012 02:18 PM

Now, there’s something worth discussing.  Although most of my belliefs are by faith, e.g., that Antarctica exists, that Francium and Astitine will react to form a salt, that Mozart wrote the music attributed to him, etc., I haven’t the time, resources, ability, or even interest in first hand verification so I am forced to accept those sources I think are creditable.  However, I feel that faith is a weak substitute for that first hand verification. 

My pets always came running if they were hungry and I showed up because they had faith that I would feed them.  Or was it just conditioning?  And if so, is faith also just a matter of early conditioning in reference to the source initially claiming whatever one has faith in?

Occam

As the saying goes, “treat a dog with love and care he will think you are god, treat a cat with love and care he will think that he is god”.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 07 January 2012 10:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-07

I appreciate you all taking an interest in my statement about faith, and I too think this would make a really good first topic. I would certainly love to get your opinions on my thinking, but I’m not able to do that just yet. But I will definitely post it next week.

Take care, all. And I will try to update my profile some more.

Ed

Signature 

Posted: 08 January 2012 01:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
Egor - 07 January 2012 01:48 PM

Of course, I think faith may well be the highest form of mental functioning possible for any living creature in the universe—

We evolved sentient brains, I believe in using them.Thought and reason are the highest form of mental functioning possible for any living creature in the universe. With those, everything else follows….

Deuteronomy 23:1
No one whose testicles are crushed or whose male organ is cut off shall enter the assembly of the Lord.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 08 January 2012 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  3799
Joined  2010-08-15

Interesting start, I hope Egor does start a thread - I almost started one myself just to get it going, but realized I couldn’t compete with the various comments already posted above.  So I’ll just wait and see.

th_watchdrama8jm.gif

~ ~ ~
PS.  Ed I’m always fascinated by the Avatars, both visual and name, we attach to ourselves.  I’m curious were does “Egor” come from?  I tried to see if it was a foreign version of Ed, but my admittedly short search came up empty.

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 08 January 2012 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

Yes, much can be told from the nick and/or the avatar.  I have used about 10 different nicks in my adventures on the net…..but then I have multiple personalities.cheese    For our religious friend, how about Ego R ?  or Ego(eR) ?

Signature 

W4U

1 of 4