2 of 4
Hello. I’m a Christian
Posted: 08 January 2012 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5975
Joined  2009-02-26
asanta - 08 January 2012 01:11 AM
Egor - 07 January 2012 01:48 PM

Of course, I think faith may well be the highest form of mental functioning possible for any living creature in the universe—

We evolved sentient brains, I believe in using them.Thought and reason are the highest form of mental functioning possible for any living creature in the universe. With those, everything else follows….

Deuteronomy 23:1
No one whose testicles are crushed or whose male organ is cut off shall enter the assembly of the Lord.

So they don’t want a lamb, they want a ram. —see—>But after you enter the assembly of the Lord, then we’ll crush your testicles and cut your male organ off. Ye shall be a lamb once more.
First must be re-assembled…. LOL

[ Edited: 08 January 2012 11:27 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 08 January 2012 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2008-03-21
dougsmith - 07 January 2012 02:23 PM

“Faith” as I define it is belief without evidence, or belief contrary to the evidence. As such, and as practiced by most people, it is arguably the lowest form of mental functioning possible for any living creature in the universe.

Lordy, yes.  One of the most amazing achievements (?) of Christianity is the ubiquitous meme that faith is a positive attribute. You’ll even see that in popular literature that really isn’t about religion, e.g., “I DO believe in fairies, I DO believe in fairies, ....”  The idea that faith is a virtue is the Trojan horse that allows almost any unsavory idea to slip past your mental defenses.

Posted: 08 January 2012 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  3789
Joined  2010-08-15
Egor - 07 January 2012 01:48 PM

Of course, I think faith may well be the highest form of mental functioning possible for any living creature in the universe—and that’s the kind of thing I like to discuss. But also, I’d like to just read what others are posting and weigh in on their topics.

Egor, I’ve been re-listening to a Point of Inquiry interview with Bill Nye (the Science Guy) since I found it to be an excellent interview.  And as is sort of a hobby I’ve been copying down some of my favorite quotes and again during this portion I was reminded of your faith in faith.
I’m curious, what do you think of his comments? 
By the way the whole interview is well worth the 36 minute investment in time.

2:35
“WE as skeptics have to let our joy show, that when you get comfortable with the understanding that you will not know it all about the universe then instead of tuning out and driving around with a bumper sticker saying “God said it, I believe it and that settles it” you continue to seek the truth or seek repeatable phenomena in nature.

My argument is that if you stop seeking, if you stop exploring, if you stop looking out, what does that say about you?  “I’m checking out, I don’t care.”  Their not generally people who are going to make progress.

What I’m asking the skeptical community to do is to embrace people who have not taken it upon themselves to seek the light.  So that we have people who are critical thinkers.”

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 08 January 2012 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  5165
Joined  2010-06-16

Well, Asanta, your quotation from Deuteronomy 23:1 certainly strengthened my faith that there is no heaven.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 08 January 2012 08:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam. - 08 January 2012 05:17 PM

Well, Asanta, your quotation from Deuteronomy 23:1 certainly strengthened my faith that there is no heaven.  LOL

Occam

I wonder why a circumcision doesn’t count…and how much carving would be too much—-and disqualify you from heaven? shut eye

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 08 January 2012 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
asanta - 08 January 2012 08:32 PM
Occam. - 08 January 2012 05:17 PM

Occam

I wonder why a circumcision doesn’t count…and how much carving would be too much—-and disqualify you from heaven? shut eye

Strangely, circumcision is considered a “covenant with god”. Can theists not see the glaring contradictions?
I hope Egor will come back to explain some of these “cognitive” contradictions.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 09 January 2012 10:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Write4U - 08 January 2012 09:41 PM

Strangely, circumcision is considered a “covenant with god”. Can theists not see the glaring contradictions?
I hope Egor will come back to explain some of these “cognitive” contradictions.

Bronze aged Russian Roulette! A hairs breadth oops, can slam the doors of heaven on your you know what! cool smile

What does the Bible say about David?

1 Samuel 18:27 and 2 Samuel 6:14,20, and 23 tells the story of one of David’s many wives (can anyone say polygamy?) named Michal who thought it rather vain of David to dance naked in front of ten young women. For this God struck her barren. To be honest, I’d be displeased to if my husband practiced nudism in front of children which is what hand-maidens usually are: young girls.

Who can forget 2 Samuel 11:2,4 where David, presumably a peeping tom in addition to being a nudist, just happened to peak through his neighbor’s window where a fair maiden was bathing. He summarily sent his messengers to bring her to his room where they had wild, passionate, out-of-wedlock sexual relations.

Reminds me of a well-written law of the Prophet Moses, “If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife—with the wife of his neighbor—both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death.”

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 09 January 2012 10:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

Ezekiel 23:20 Yet she increased her whorings, remembering the days of her youth, when she played the whore in the land of Egypt (20)and lusted after her paramours there, whose members were like those of donkeys, and whose emission was like that of stallions. KJV- 20 For she doted upon their paramours, whose flesh is as the flesh of asses, and whose issue is like the issue of horses.

Signature 

Posted: 10 January 2012 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
Taylor - 08 January 2012 11:56 AM
dougsmith - 07 January 2012 02:23 PM

“Faith” as I define it is belief without evidence, or belief contrary to the evidence. As such, and as practiced by most people, it is arguably the lowest form of mental functioning possible for any living creature in the universe.

Lordy, yes.  One of the most amazing achievements (?) of Christianity is the ubiquitous meme that faith is a positive attribute. You’ll even see that in popular literature that really isn’t about religion, e.g., “I DO believe in fairies, I DO believe in fairies, ....”  The idea that faith is a virtue is the Trojan horse that allows almost any unsavory idea to slip past your mental defenses.

Yes! Entire books could be written on this subject. It is at once absurd and yet quite powerful. There is no question or argument that can be posed by a skeptic that can’t be rejoined with, “It’s about faith—you just don’t get it.” Armed with this, is it any wonder that faith is elevated above all other human faculties? While reason is openly mocked!

How completely and totally absurd!

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 10 January 2012 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  5165
Joined  2010-06-16

It brings to mind the old joke about two men standing at a urinal.  One says, “Jewish?”  “Yes.”  “Member of Temple Menorah?”  “YES.”  “Rabbi Moisha did your circumsion, right?”  “Yes, how did you know?” “He always cuts on the bias and you’re pissing on my foot.”

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 10 January 2012 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Occam. - 10 January 2012 11:45 AM

It brings to mind the old joke about two men standing at a urinal.  One says, “Jewish?”  “Yes.”  “Member of Temple Menorah?”  “YES.”  “Rabbi Moisha did your circumsion, right?”  “Yes, how did you know?” “He always cuts on the bias and you’re pissing on my foot.”

Occam

LOL

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 11 January 2012 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

Occam

tongue laugh

OTOH, I don’t think Egor is coming back….

Signature 

Posted: 11 January 2012 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
asanta - 11 January 2012 10:00 AM

Occam

tongue laugh

He did say a few weeks, but perhaps he decided that “discretion is the better part of valor”.

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 11 January 2012 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15300
Joined  2006-02-14

Faith is Greater than Reason ...

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 11 January 2012 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  7503
Joined  2007-03-02

Occam

tongue laugh

It depends on his intent.  If he is working on Evangelizing, he’ll probably be back, once he thinks he found a strong defence for what he’s already said, which I think is what Doug might be referring to also.  I’m just going to sit back and watch, personally.  I might jump in, if he does return, but much of what I might say could tick him off big time.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

2 of 4