4 of 4
Hello. I’m a Christian
Posted: 20 February 2012 01:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6167
Joined  2009-02-26

Linds,
Everyone uses exclamations borrowed from other cultures. We even use vulgarities without sexual or physical attachment. I believe we can disregard the notion that one necessarily has to subscribe to a cultural philosophy or physical activity when using such exclamations.
I don’t believe in hell, neither do you, but I’m sure we have both used the word in one context or other. The words god and hell are so deeply ingrained in our culture that they are even used by insurance companies by the term “acts of god” to indicate natural disasters.

I also stated that I believe your concept and philosophy is not that far apart from mine. You actually use Bohm’s zero (state of energy) in the identity of your philosophy which seems to be of a deistic (spiritual) nature.

Bohm goes on to postulate a final state of infinite [zero point] energy which he calls the realm of insight intelligence

Here is where I part from your and Bohm’s concept of a spiritual aspect to the universe. To me the word spiritual suggests pertaining to matters of the spirit. The encyclopedias all seem to agree that this term (Latin - spiritus = breath) is connected with a supernatural mysticism of one sort or other.

I try to stay within a natural scientific concept of the universe. Fortunately there is another word which is infused in our and other cultures around the world with equal recognition and acceptance. It is completely neutral in its meaning but is a perfect description of a latent or active creative ability.

That word is Potential. All encyclopedias agree that this term actually covers the term spirituality but without any spiritual or mystical attachment. It has the advantage that it is a scientific, as well as a philosophical term. We also use that term casually in our everyday lives. It appears here constantly and is used by everyone of every stripe. I believe you have also used it yourself on occasion in this forum.

If I may presume to suggest that you reexamine the dictionaries and encyclopedias of the fundamental definition of the word Potential, you will find that applies in every identified or possible situation. In fact it applies to the very essence of the universe and the way it functions. I believe that you will admit it is the (spiritually) neutral equivalent of a latent or active creative force. And it does indeed preceed physical reality itself. To me using the application of the word Potential is sufficient in itself and requires no further mystical attachments.

[ Edited: 20 February 2012 01:29 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 20 February 2012 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  193
Joined  2011-12-30

W4U, The root, EL (similar to AL, in Arabic) is used a lot in the Hebrew Bible. There is, of course, the famous Christmas carol: ‘O come, O come Immanuel’—God be with us. There is also a connection with the Jewish Messiah.

WHAT A HEEL HE WAS!  smile
It is also the suffix of the word ISRAEL. Originally, Israel was called Jacob—“may God protect”. Note that Jacob, the son of Isaac and grandson of Abraham (father of a people) was a bit of a rascal. In short, he was a heel—modern slang for a hateful person—who loved to plot and cheat people. No wonder he changed his name. The legend has it that he, the second-born of a set of twins, grabbed the heels of Esau as they were born.

Even Hebrew scholars express doubts as to the exact meaning of ‘Israel’ . It is generally agreed that EL basically means omnipotent—all powerful. My guess is that our words, ELectron and Electricity probably also come from this root.

One Hebrew scholar (See HARPER’S BIBLE DICTIONARY) says that the best guess, as to its meaning in the legend of Jacob—Genesis 25 to 32:28 and Hosea 12:4, is: “May God, strive, contend, or rule”.  It can also refer to our struggle with God.

The half-brother of Isaac was, Ishmael (“may God hear”). He was the progenitor of those who, in the seventh century, came to be known as Muslims—ones who submit to Allah (God).

[ Edited: 20 February 2012 03:03 PM by RevLGKing ]

4 of 4