Christopher Hitchens unrepettent pro-war atheist.
Posted: 07 January 2012 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2010-03-07

Celebrating the Life of a True Celebrity Atheist - Christopher Hitchens
with Eddie Tabash and Jack Maxwell
CFI - Los Angeles, 11 am, Sun. Jan. 15, 2012 .

Christopher Hitchens is a master of word and persuasion, and his stance on religion is historically educational, illuminating, eloquent and justifiably passionate. But he is not to be admired for his political moral integrity or consistency. While he faults religion, in particular Islam and Christian, for promoting violence and the worst of nationalism, he is duplicitous. He has never recanted or apologized for promoting war on Iraq or Afghanistan. He promotes a double standard. I don’t think he is morally excused because he is a “strong” atheist. This link will take you to an article that I think speaks well of the moral problems of Christopher Hitchens. Hitchens’s passion is admirable, but secularism is no excuse for war mongering.
- Gary Hundertmark

Triangulations of Christopher Hitchens
Sam Husseini | Consortium News | Op-Ed

http://www.truth-out.org/triangulations-christopher-hitchens/1325616542

Posted: 07 January 2012 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5187
Joined  2010-06-16

He certainly gave the lie to the belief of many Christians that atheists are all left wing extremists.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 07 January 2012 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24

Many on the left have expressed a strong dislike for him; that’s not suprising as the left is far more focused on social justice then freethinking.  Hitchens’ snobbery was apparent, and it sorta seemed like he had a thinly veiled contempt for the mid - east.  He will probably be remembered as either a racist war supporter, or an unfeeling faith stomping monster, rather than a writer.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 07 January 2012 04:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3799
Joined  2010-08-15
gary100 - 07 January 2012 12:37 PM

To borrow from the theme of the first couple paragraphs of this essay, reading about the man made me feel like vomiting.  I will be forever flabbergasted that any thinking people {except for the profiteers of course} can look at USA’s actions after 9/11 as anything but a complete victory for bin Laden’s wildest hopes and dreams… and an utter disaster for America and the world.

“Hitchens himself in his final months would say that if he were to embrace religion in his final days that he’d hoped people wouldn’t take it seriously, since it wouldn’t really be “him.” It seemed an incredible thing to say, to forestall one’s own betrayal of one’s alleged principles.”

{Sounds like a pretty hollow person - more concerned with selling books and himself than with any sincere intellectual journey}

“Having pro-war Hitchens and Tony Blair debate the existence of God was like two draconian priests debating the number of angels on the head of a needle.”  laugh icon
{...}
“Hitchens denied that he was a neo-con, but he did what so-called neo-cons do — and what the left and progressives allow them to do: Use the limitations of progressive criticism — the frequent lack of radicalism — to argue for rightwing policies. As such, the mindset is to pretend to rigorously police everyone — but themselves — to such a degree that they end up violating first principles.”
{...}
“He was a “contrarian” and “skeptic” who embraced the basic precepts of Empire. He scrutinized his opponents’ eyes for specks while he ignored the gleaming of cruise missiles in his own.”
{...}
a worthy closing paragraph:
“I was saying that real journalism is to hold accountable those who deceive because the deceptions do matter and should be studiously analyzed, for they are the lasting legacy of those who deceive for war, no matter how circular their route or reasoning. And it does make sense to purify one’s hatred, not of persons as Hitchens seemed to intend, but of the stench of lies from whatever quarter.”

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 08 January 2012 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-07

An anti-war progressive anecdote to Hitchens

Michael Parenti—A Dangerous God
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_T0LNVyjUQ&feature=related

Posted: 08 January 2012 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-07

more of Perenti. 6 part series
Michael Parenti - Politics and Religion
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB493DFA6E12BC3FF&feature=plcp

Posted: 23 May 2012 12:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2012-05-23
citizenschallenge.pm - 07 January 2012 04:50 PM
gary100 - 07 January 2012 12:37 PM

To borrow from the theme of the first couple paragraphs of this essay, reading about the man made me feel like vomiting.  I will be forever flabbergasted that any thinking people {except for the profiteers of course} can look at USA’s actions after 9/11 as anything but a complete victory for bin Laden’s wildest hopes and dreams… and an utter disaster for America and the world.

“Hitchens himself in his final months would say that if he were to embrace religion in his final days that he’d hoped people wouldn’t take it seriously, since it wouldn’t really be “him.” It seemed an incredible thing to say, to forestall one’s own betrayal of one’s alleged principles.”

{Sounds like a pretty hollow person - more concerned with selling books and himself than with any sincere intellectual journey}

“Having pro-war Hitchens and Tony Blair debate the existence of God was like two draconian priests debating the number of angels on the head of a needle.”  laugh icon
{...}
“Hitchens denied that he was a neo-con, but he did what so-called neo-cons do — and what the left and progressives allow them to do: Use the limitations of progressive criticism — the frequent lack of radicalism — to argue for rightwing policies. As such, the mindset is to pretend to rigorously police everyone — but themselves — to such a degree that they end up violating first principles.”
{...}
“He was a “contrarian” and “skeptic” who embraced the basic precepts of Empire. He scrutinized his opponents’ eyes for specks while he ignored the gleaming of cruise missiles in his own.”
{...}
a worthy closing paragraph:
“I was saying that real journalism is to hold accountable those who deceive because the deceptions do matter and should be studiously analyzed, for they are the lasting legacy of those who deceive for war, no matter how circular their route or reasoning. And it does make sense to purify one’s hatred, not of persons as Hitchens seemed to intend, but of the stench of lies from whatever quarter.”

-one, Hitchens said if his drug addled mind embraces stupid superstition at the moment of death you shouldn’t take him seriously. That seems sincere. His pro-war attitude in Iraq stems from the fact as a journalist he saw first-hand Saddam butcher Kurds. He wanted Saddam out since the 90s. The war in Afghanistan was to throw out religious fanatics. I dont agree with everything he said, but atheists are like cats, they have no leaders, they follow their mind. What is a neo-con btw. Can one support gay marriage, social medicine, as well as believe invading countries under specific circumstances. His views are difficult to define, and seem to follow no ideological standpoint from my view.  He made speaking your mind, and unpopular views, sexy and popular. You can oppose the ideas, but the world is most certainly a better place with him existing. I love how he went on Fox News and slammed Jerry Falwell. “I do not love my enemies, my enemies are theocratic fascists and I want to see them destroyed”. He hates the governments in the middle east, where atheists can legally be killed by their family(and are). I know an Egyptian girl who told her little sister she was an agnostic, she received a viscous beating from her father before being disowned. She lost her job, and her place in university in Egypt, as her father got a refund for tuition and called her boss to tell him.  She’s one of the lucky ones because she knew a well-to free-thinking arab atheist in the UK who married her. Most stories dont have happy endings. The sad fact is, if I feel that I have the Divine Right of God to tell you how you must live your life and that I must indoctrinate your children, the only sane response is the sword.

A new member of the forum, and another unrepentant pro-war atheist.

[ Edited: 23 May 2012 12:46 AM by zrdm1 ]

Posted: 23 May 2012 05:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

What I liked about this guy is he said what he meant, he meant exactly what he said, and he didn’t mince words. You could agree or disagree for a variaty of good reasons, but you always knew where you stood with the man.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.