1 of 8
Transgender boys in girl scouts.
Posted: 13 January 2012 09:32 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  636
Joined  2010-07-01

I think this girl in this video is a little bit smug and I really don’t agree with her overall tone, but I do agree with her point. Transgender boys should not be in girl scouts. They are not girls, they don’t belong.

Transgender in Girl Scouts.

News report

Posted: 13 January 2012 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24

It’s a complex situation. I can’t get too interested in it, but I agree that the transgendered boy should not be there.  The body always matters the most it seems.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 14 January 2012 03:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

I don’t agree. I think transgendered should be allowed to join. I applaud their inclusiveness. Why, pray tell do you think s/he should not be there? Girl Scouts is all about empowerment and can-do, not intolerance. They also allow open atheists. I shall by double my usual number of GS cookies this year to support them.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 14 January 2012 03:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2010-07-01

Ok fair enough. I’m a little girl stuck in a middle age mans body. Can I join? LOL

Sorry Asanta. I know you’ll hate me for that one.

Posted: 14 January 2012 04:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
ExMachina - 14 January 2012 03:11 AM

Ok fair enough. I’m a little girl stuck in a middle age mans body. Can I join? LOL

Sorry Asanta. I know you’ll hate me for that one.

I can’t imagine how distressing and confusing it must be to be a little boy/girl who feels like they should have been born the other sex. Girl Scouts have always been welcoming to lesbians, I don’t understand your reticence to have them accept transexual boys, who by description would have no sexual interests in a girl, whereas a lesbian would. Eagle Scouts accept girls as well as boys, but there is that pesky requirement that you have to be ‘straight’ and believe in imaginary beings…

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 14 January 2012 04:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2010-07-01

I can empathize with a person who is suffering thinking that they were born the wrong sex, but I don’t believe that we should be catering to the delusion.

Posted: 14 January 2012 04:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
ExMachina - 14 January 2012 04:27 AM

I can empathize with a person who is suffering thinking that they were born the wrong sex, but I don’t believe that we should be catering to the delusion.

It isn’t a delusion, any more than being gay is a delusion. It is just they way they are born.

Signature 

Posted: 14 January 2012 04:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2010-07-01
asanta - 14 January 2012 04:30 AM
ExMachina - 14 January 2012 04:27 AM

It isn’t a delusion, any more than being gay is a delusion. It is just they way they are born.

Sorry Asanta, I disagree with you here. Gay people have a sexual preference. Transgender just can’t accept the reality that they are the sex they don’t want to be. Biologically, a guy who wants to be a male has he DNA of a boy. It’s only in his head that he feels that his sex is wrong.

Posted: 14 January 2012 04:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

No, sorry to disagree with you, but sexuality is a continuum. Someone who feels they are the opposite sex, feels it as strongly as you do about your sexual orientation. Why can you accept a person’s ability to be sexually attracted to the opposite sex, but not a person’s feeling that they were born the wrong gender? What do you feel about gender reassignment surgery? You cannot do gender reassignment surgery on a small boy/girl, they have to wait until they are adults, but like someone who is gay, they usually feel this way from a young age.

Signature 

Posted: 14 January 2012 05:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2010-07-01

Why can you accept a person’s ability to be sexually attracted to the opposite sex, but not a person’s feeling that they were born the wrong gender?

I can accept a person who’s transgender for how they feel, but just because you think you’re the wrong sex, doesn’t mean you are.

What do you feel about gender reassignment surgery?

You can chop it up, blend it, and make it look like a vagina, but it doesn’t make it so anymore than a guy who puts on whiskers and shaves his teeth is a cat. The person who goes through gender reassignment surgery is trying to actualize his fantasy. I have no problem with that, but I’m not going to cater to his/her illusion.

What comes to mind is that moronic scenario of the Thomas Beatie. She’s a woman who apparently went through reassignment surgery and then later had a baby. Next thing you know, everyone’s saying how a MAN is pregnant. It’s a total lie and a complete fantasy and yet people feed her delusion. Sorry, I like to keep my feet ground with these things, so regardless of what they do, if they’re born a woman, that’s all she’ll ever be.

Posted: 14 January 2012 06:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24

I don’t have any problem with transgender kids being admitted in theory, but if it causes many of the girls to be uncomfortable, they will just quit,and the organization will suffer. If the girls don’t mind though-then who cares, let ‘em in.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 14 January 2012 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2010-07-01
mid atlantic - 14 January 2012 06:20 AM

I don’t have any problem with transgender kids being admitted in theory, but if it causes many of the girls to be uncomfortable, they will just quit,and the organization will suffer. If the girls don’t mind though-then who cares, let ‘em in.

The only problem with that is that some girls may not want boys in their troop, but are too afraid or shy to admit it.

Posted: 14 January 2012 08:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  2018
Joined  2007-04-26

ExMachina i would answer you the same way I answer someone who says that gays have “made a choice”. I will presume that like myself you are heterosexual. If you are, could you “make a choice to be gay”. I mean if you were suddenly transported to s society where being heterosexual was scorned and vilified could you become gay? I’m not asking if you could fake it. I’m asking if you could actually change your sexual preference and be attracted only to people of the same sex? If you really are heterosexual the answer is clearly no. Sexual preference is not a preference at all. Its biological. Its not a choice.

People who are transgender are in the same situation and I would ask you the same question. Could you suddenly choose to be a woman emotionally, intellectually and every way that makes us different? If you’re a man and you’re comfortable in that role the answer is a resounding no. By the same token someone who feels they are a woman but by some odd chance happens to have a mans body can not just “choose” to feel like she is a man. Could you choose to start being a woman and honestly feel like you were a woman if you suddenly woke up in a woman’s body tomorrow. Neither you nor I understand how a persons brain gets programmed to be male or female but it clearly does. There is an undeniable difference between someone who feels they are female and someone who feels they are male. As far as I am aware there is no way to undo that programming. You can ask someone to pretend that they feel like they are who their body says they should be but they would just be pretending. What right do we have to ask people and especially kids to do that? Just to make the rest of us feel more comfortable with our immature ideas about sexuality?

[ Edited: 14 January 2012 08:26 AM by macgyver ]
 Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 14 January 2012 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

+1 with Asanta & Macgyver.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 14 January 2012 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  5176
Joined  2010-06-16

I also agree with them.  However, I can understand some girls being uncomfortable.  I recall, when I was eleven being invited to go to a Boy Scout meeting with a neighbor kid.  I wasn’t too interested in the games they played but thought I might join.  Then one of the older boys proudly showed his latest achievement.  He had cut a hole in his right pants pocket so he could play “pocket pool” and he demonstrated quite graphically.  That turned me off so completely that I never wanted to have anything to do with that organization. 

Afterthought:  Asanta, check to see if the Girl Scout cookies are still made with trans fats.  I stopped buying them when I saw that.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 14 January 2012 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2011-11-30

Being transgender is not like being homosexual. Homosexuality is about the object of love and sexual desire. You know you’re gay when you are a man who is attracted to another man. Is it on a continuum? Perhaps, but it is a continuum of desire/love towards another person.  Ultimately it is about behavior and the desires that underlay that behavior.

Being transgender is a “feeling” that one’s biological sex is not in line with one’s mental gender.  This makes a fatal presupposition: that there exists an essential “femaleness” and “maleness” and that a person can know what these are.  This isn’t about behavior.  Transgender people do not say, “I am a man, but I want to dress like a woman and have a vagina shaped penis.” No, the transgendered person says, “I am, in fact, a woman.” Well, of course he is not a woman. He’s a man who believes he should have been born a woman.  But he wasn’t, and no amount of surgery will change that.

Having said that, it is my belief that anyone should be allow to dress and act in any way they please.  A man should be allowed to wear dresses, mutilate his genitals, and change his name to Cindy if he so wishes.  The Girl Scouts are a private organization and should be allowed to have whatever rules they want for membership. Join or don’t.

The real problem with the Girl Scouts is illustrated below.

Image Attachments
thumbs-hornoxe-com-picdump198-20.jpg
 Signature 

I would like to thank everyone at CFI for their hard work and all the forum participants for their thoughtfulness and good manners.

1 of 8