1 of 6
Quitting smoking.
Posted: 17 January 2012 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1741
Joined  2007-10-22

Hey guys:

I may not be posting for a time.  After 47 years of smoking I am trying to give it up.  One of the things they tell you to do is “tame your triggers” and sitting here at the computer is definately one of my triggers.  However as Gov. Arnold says “I’ll be back.”

[ Edited: 18 January 2012 04:04 PM by garythehuman ]
 Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 17 January 2012 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
garythehuman - 17 January 2012 02:41 PM

Hey guys:

I may not be posting for a time.  After 47 years of smoking I am trying to give it up.  One of the things they tell you to do is “tame your triggers” and sitting here at the computer is definately one of my triggers.  Howevfer as Gov. Arnold says “I’ll be back.”

Very good idea!!! Good luck, and think gentle thoughts…

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 17 January 2012 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Excellent, I hope it goes well for you. We’ll be looking forward to your return whenever you feel ready. And hopefully smoke-free.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 17 January 2012 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

Good luck GarytheFutureSmokeFreeHuman!! grin

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 18 January 2012 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  1741
Joined  2007-10-22

Thanks folks.

Day two and haven’t lit up.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 18 January 2012 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14
garythehuman - 18 January 2012 04:03 PM

Thanks folks.

Day two and haven’t lit up.

I’m sure it’ll be a long road but great to hear so far.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 18 January 2012 09:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24

I quit almost four years ago,and FWIW,the first couple of days are the most difficult. It’s not so bad after that.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 21 January 2012 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  636
Joined  2010-07-01

I personally quit smoking by doing it when I got sick. That usually gave me at least 2 weeks where I didn’t even want a cigarette. Then from there I decided that I was never going to quit, but that I was just putting off smoking. I haven’t been addicted for over 14 years now and maybe 2 to 4 times a year I’ll have a cigar or cigarette in celebration of my kicking the habit. wink

Posted: 23 January 2012 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2009-07-17
ExMachina - 21 January 2012 10:55 PM

I personally quit smoking by doing it when I got sick. That usually gave me at least 2 weeks where I didn’t even want a cigarette. Then from there I decided that I was never going to quit, but that I was just putting off smoking. I haven’t been addicted for over 14 years now and maybe 2 to 4 times a year I’ll have a cigar or cigarette in celebration of my kicking the habit. wink

This is how my wife and I quit. It’s been 16 years now for both of us.

Keep at it Gary the human! You will be amazed when your sense of smell returns. wink

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 23 January 2012 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  5187
Joined  2010-06-16

I quit a bit over thirty years ago.  The trigger that I had to avoid was being at a social gathering and having a glass or two of wine.  I temporarily stopped the alcohol then had no trouble stopping smoking.  A year or so later I could have a glass of wine with no desire for a cigarette.  The strange thing is that while I don’t want to smoke, I still sort of enjoy the smell of a bit of tobacco smoke.

Between smoking and a sinus operation I lost my sense of smell for about four years.  I used to drive my wife crazy by asking what spices were used in the foods we’d order when we went to various ethnic restaurants.  She never bothered with the exotic cooking so had problems when I’d have to describe the tastes.  For example, cumin was a blend of turpentine, sweat and onion.  Her comment was often, “Well, there goes my appetite.”  smile

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 24 January 2012 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2009-07-17
Occam. - 23 January 2012 08:13 PM

I quit a bit over thirty years ago.  The trigger that I had to avoid was being at a social gathering and having a glass or two of wine.  I temporarily stopped the alcohol then had no trouble stopping smoking.  A year or so later I could have a glass of wine with no desire for a cigarette.  The strange thing is that while I don’t want to smoke, I still sort of enjoy the smell of a bit of tobacco smoke.

I don’t care for the smell of cigarette smoke, but the smell of a good cigar or pipe tobacco (rare these days) isn’t bad.

Occam. - 23 January 2012 08:13 PM

Between smoking and a sinus operation I lost my sense of smell for about four years.  I used to drive my wife crazy by asking what spices were used in the foods we’d order when we went to various ethnic restaurants.  She never bothered with the exotic cooking so had problems when I’d have to describe the tastes.  For example, cumin was a blend of turpentine, sweat and onion.  Her comment was often, “Well, there goes my appetite.”  smile

LOL! Funny… Even though I really like cumin, I find your description accurate.  LOL

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 27 January 2012 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29

How is it going, Gary?

Posted: 15 February 2012 06:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-02-15

Hope you finally achieve your goal and quit smoking. Only 2 days more and you have achieved 2 months.

Posted: 16 February 2012 05:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

We’re pulling for you.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 16 February 2012 05:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29

I don’t think he made it. But don’t give up, Gary! Although I smoke I’ve never tried to quit; I imagine it must be extremely difficult.

Posted: 16 February 2012 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  5187
Joined  2010-06-16

As the old joke goes, “Quitting is easy.  I’ve done it twenty times.”

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

1 of 6