2 of 6
Quitting smoking.
Posted: 16 February 2012 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4142
Joined  2008-08-14

I don’t think avoiding the triggers is an effective way.  I don’t think there are truly triggers. You are the trigger Gary.
The only trigger is your psychological addiction. 
Honestly just go about your normal routine…just do it without cigarettes. 
And steifel that internal whiner!  The only person who needs cigarettes is that internal hand-wringer. Just shut him up!

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 16 February 2012 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

I have faith that Gary will succeed!

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 16 February 2012 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  2018
Joined  2007-04-26

I just gave a terrific guy the worst news of his life today. After 30 years of 2 pack per day smoking he has large tumor in his lung. It’s cancer and although we will get him the best care the odds aren’t in his favor. I thought maybe it would be a good time to chime in here for Gary’s sake and for anyone else on here who smokes

A couple of interesting facts about quitting smoking. Success in quitting is like success i many things. Practice makes perfect.  The average person who quits and quits for good has tried 8 times. Obviously some people succeed on their first effort and others take 20 attempts. So as they say.. if you don’t succeed try try again.

The most important determinant of success is desire. Patients who quit because the doctor or wife nags them will never succeed. Those who quit because they’ve decided its time have a much higher success rate.

A smoker who quits wil never have the same risk of lung cancer as non-smoker but within 10 years their risk becomes 30-50% of that of smokers.

Some stats from the National Cancer Institute:

People who quit smoking, regardless of their age, are less likely than those who continue to smoke to die from smoking-related illness:

Quitting at age 30: Studies have shown that smokers who quit at about age 30 reduce their chance of dying prematurely from smoking-related diseases by more than 90 percent .

Quitting at age 50: People who quit at about age 50 reduce their risk of dying prematurely by 50 percent compared with those who continue to smoke).

Quitting at age 60: Even people who quit at about age 60 or older live longer than those who continue to smoke.

Good luck Gary and anyone else who’s trying to quit. If you slipped off the wagon don’t worry. Youre one step closer to success. Just try again when youre ready. And George, you’re never too old wink

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 16 February 2012 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  9281
Joined  2006-08-29

I know, macgyver. I am aware of the facts, but,..., well, I have nothing intelligent to add here… blank stare

Posted: 16 February 2012 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  2018
Joined  2007-04-26
George - 16 February 2012 02:21 PM

I know, macgyver. I am aware of the facts, but,..., well, I have nothing intelligent to add here… blank stare

Sorry. it wasn’t meant as a nag. Like i said, that’s a waste of time. It was just meant as encouragement to Gary really. Couldn’t resist ribbing you though.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 16 February 2012 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Don’t apologize. You are a doctor and you know what you’re talking about.

Posted: 16 February 2012 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  5169
Joined  2010-06-16

Quoting Vyazma:

I don’t think avoiding the triggers is an effective way.

It worked for me, V.  As I mentioned, when I tried to stop, as soon as I went to a party or out to dinner, had a glass or two of wine, and anyone else was smoking, I’d take a cigarette.  Only when I stopped having the trigger of wine, was I able to stop completely long enough that the habit was extinguished.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 16 February 2012 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

I don’t think everybody is the same. It’s probably easier for some people to quit than others.

Posted: 17 February 2012 11:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  4142
Joined  2008-08-14
Occam. - 16 February 2012 05:17 PM

Quoting Vyazma:

I don’t think avoiding the triggers is an effective way.

It worked for me, V.  As I mentioned, when I tried to stop, as soon as I went to a party or out to dinner, had a glass or two of wine, and anyone else was smoking, I’d take a cigarette.  Only when I stopped having the trigger of wine, was I able to stop completely long enough that the habit was extinguished.

Occam

You’re right Occam.  Whatever it takes to quit!  I remember fussing with triggers too.  But one of my triggers was driving.  I couldn’t avoid driving.  I couldn’t avoid coffee, beer, and food either. 
So the trigger thing was ridiculous for me.  You try to quit a handful of times..until it finally takes. 
I still think there are strong indicators that show attaching “conditions” to quitting is a false comfort at least…if not defeatist.
The hardest part of quitting is months down the road…sometimes years. By then you are going to want to drink that wine again.
So I stand on my triggers assertion.  I think you would have quit either way..with or without wine. 
The only real trigger one has to avoid is the mind games that “the addicted part of your brain” creates.  Part of those mind games I belive are “avoiding triggers”.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 17 February 2012 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  1741
Joined  2007-10-22

Tyhanks for the support guys.  I did quit for a week and then “fell off the wagon.”  I am going to try again when I finished the carton I bought.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 17 February 2012 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  5169
Joined  2010-06-16

Sorry, Gary, but that’s a terrible rationalization - I know, I used it myself.  When I finally decided it had to happen, I gave an almost full carton to someone I wouldn’t see often (so I wouldn’t be able to bum them off of him).  Just wiping out the money it cost made it harder to justify spending that again for any more.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 17 February 2012 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

My faith NEVER works.  tongue rolleye

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 17 February 2012 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Try sacrifying a goat, traveler.  grin

Posted: 17 February 2012 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  2885
Joined  2011-08-15

Scary Macgyver! I quit in 82’ during a trip to D.C. My wife and I both smoked at the time and our kids nagged us to quit. She was first then I quit cold turkey and yes I did smoke a lot! My brother never quit and ended up with cancer of the tongue. He had the entire right side of his tongue and lymph glands removed as well as a portion of his jaw. He still smokes ocasionally despite what I say to him. People quit when they’re ready and sometimes that means never. It’s up to each of us. Good luck fellas seriously!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 18 February 2012 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  1741
Joined  2007-10-22
traveler - 17 February 2012 05:05 PM

My faith NEVER works.  tongue rolleye

Keep the faith   shut eye

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

2 of 6