1 of 2
Horror
Posted: 18 January 2012 01:22 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24

Many freethinkers are fans of Science Fiction, but what about it’s speculative fiction cousin,Horror. Any fans here?

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 18 January 2012 05:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29

I find horror movies to be about 95% boring and 5% scary. Since I don’t like to feel either bored or scared, I don’t like to watch them. A group of teenagers goes on a trip and everybody dies except for one. Any one of us could write a movie script like that in about two hours.

Posted: 18 January 2012 05:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

I did enjoy HP Lovecraft when I read some of his stuff many years ago. He struck me as borderline insane. Other than that, though, and a very few films like The Shining (mostly because of Kubrik), I really don’t enjoy horror.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 18 January 2012 07:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Now that I think about it, one of my favourite books is actually a collection of short horror stories. But they are funny, very well written and, above all, beautifully illustrated. Look:

11j44uo.jpg

Posted: 18 January 2012 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5187
Joined  2010-06-16

I’ve always enjoyed SCIENCE-fiction, but I can’t stand fantasy or horror fiction probably because I see it as being quite closely related to religion.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 18 January 2012 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
Occam. - 18 January 2012 06:47 PM

I’ve always enjoyed SCIENCE-fiction, but I can’t stand fantasy or horror fiction probably because I see it as being quite closely related to religion.

Occam

I know many freethinkers who share that view.

Signature 

Posted: 18 January 2012 07:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
George - 18 January 2012 07:17 AM

Now that I think about it, one of my favourite books is actually a collection of short horror stories. But they are funny, very well written and, above all, beautifully illustrated. Look:

11j44uo.jpg

Very cool!!!  The Dracula figure looks a bit like Mr.Burns from the Simpsons.

Signature 

Posted: 19 January 2012 12:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  695
Joined  2007-10-14
mid atlantic - 18 January 2012 01:22 AM

Many freethinkers are fans of Science Fiction, but what about it’s speculative fiction cousin,Horror. Any fans here?

`
*raising hand*  I have a long-standing affection for the horror genre that goes back to childhood :)  There aren’t many recent horror flicks that have really impressed me (it always seems like you have to wade through a lot of crap to find some gems), but there are a few that I’ve particularly appreciated ~ like ‘Let the Right One In’ (Swedish vampire/coming-of-age flick), ‘Trick r Treat’ (very entertaining Halloween anthology that’s destined to become a seasonal ‘fixture’, imo)

What are some of your faves mid atlantic?

and if you’re a horror/sci-fi fan, do you listen to the ‘Mondo Movie’ podcast?  If not, I highly recommend it :)  They’re on a little break right now, but there are a few years worth of casts available…..these guys know their stuff, and you almost always discover something that you never would have seen or sought out otherwise :)

`
EDIT: (oops, you referred to horror fiction and not films at all.  Sorry:)

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 19 January 2012 02:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
Axegrrl - 19 January 2012 12:45 AM
mid atlantic - 18 January 2012 01:22 AM

`
*raising hand*  I have a long-standing affection for the horror genre that goes back to childhood smile  There aren’t many recent horror flicks that have really impressed me (it always seems like you have to wade through a lot of crap to find some gems), but there are a few that I’ve particularly appreciated ~ like ‘Let the Right One In’ (Swedish vampire/coming-of-age flick), ‘Trick r Treat’ (very entertaining Halloween anthology that’s destined to become a seasonal ‘fixture’, imo)

What are some of your faves mid atlantic?

and if you’re a horror/sci-fi fan, do you listen to the ‘Mondo Movie’ podcast?  If not, I highly recommend it smile  They’re on a little break right now, but there are a few years worth of casts available…..these guys know their stuff, and you almost always discover something that you never would have seen or sought out otherwise smile

`
EDIT: (oops, you referred to horror fiction and not films at all.  Sorry:)

Don’t be sorry Axegrrl,horror movies are part of it too! I thought “Trick or treat” was great,I haven’t seen “Let the right one in” yet; I agree that most modern horror movies are terrible.Some of my favorites? There’s a lot, but I like the “Evildead” movies,“The Wicker Man” (the 1973 original,not the stupid remake)“The Sentinel”,“Freaks”,“Creepshow”,“The Fly” and many others.My favorite horror writers are Graham Masterton,F.Paul Wilson,Michael Marshall Smith,J.A.Konrath. Mondo Movies looks cool, I’m going to check that out-thanks for the tip.

Signature 

Posted: 19 January 2012 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26

I hate “slasher” and “blood and gore movies”. They are not about horror, only about gratuitous violence.
But once in awhile something comes along that has content. Come to mind movies like “The Cell”, Bram Stoker’s “Dracula”, “The Rite”, “The Excorcist (first and last), “Underworld” (I like the kinky outfits) and of course the classic “Nosferatu”.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 19 January 2012 11:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
Write4U - 19 January 2012 03:33 PM

I hate “slasher” and “blood and gore movies”. They are not about horror, only about gratuitous violence.
But once in awhile something comes along that has content. Come to mind movies like “The Cell”, Bram Stoker’s “Dracula”, “The Rite”, “The Excorcist (first and last), “Underworld” (I like the kinky outfits) and of course the classic “Nosferatu”.

Nosferatu is a stunning movie, Dracula is great also. I can live with the gratuitous violence, if the movie has facinating characters, and good atmosphere.

Signature 

Posted: 20 January 2012 01:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

My all time Favorite bad guy is Dr Lecter in “Silence of the Lambs”. Anthony Hopkins was absolutely brilliant. The first scene which introduces his character, where he stands absolutely still in his cell, hands straight alongside his body, the little smile, is a masterpiece of understatement of a criminally insane psychologist. That pose is indelibly etched in my mind.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 20 January 2012 08:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

Jeez, I like zombie movies. They’re hysterical. Sometimes I think intellectuals are snobs.
I also think it’s fun to hangout with rednecks and drink beer. I can actually have a good conversation with the ones with teeth.  LOL

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 20 January 2012 08:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

That’s what beer is for, traveler. After my fifth beer I can have a conversation with anybody. Just like beer makes us to see women more attractive, it also helps us to find men more interesting.

Posted: 20 January 2012 09:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
George - 20 January 2012 08:58 AM

That’s what beer is for, traveler. After my fifth beer I can have a conversation with anybody. Just like beer makes us to see women more attractive, it also helps us to find men more interesting.

LOL

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 20 January 2012 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

So true, George!  wink

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

1 of 2