Watts Up With That - FAITH thing?
Posted: 18 January 2012 06:59 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3799
Joined  2010-08-15

I’ve been able to spend the past couple days focusing on recent balderdash coming from Watts Up With That, the premiere Anthropogenic Global Warming denial website - triggered by Anthony Watts yet again championing Lord Monckton and his potty mouth stream of invective, twisted misquotes, misrepresentations and out and out lying about scientific studies and their implications.

They {I’m including perennial (paid?) commenters such as “Smokey”} are busy pumping up the meme that CO2 is good for the Earth and that the more we can pump into the atmosphere the better.  All the while ignoring that our planet’s climate has been experiencing quite a stable and benign phase for the past ten thousand some odd years, without which society and civilization could not have flourished.

Also ignoring that it isn’t Earth that is in trouble, rather it is the foundations of our society that depends on consistent benign weather patterns.

The worst part is the utter ruthlessness of their dialogue, every established climatologist is treated like a criminal, while dilettante’s such as Monckton are hoisted on a pedestal despite a clear record of deceit, if not a total disconnect from the real world {after all Monckton has also announced he’s developed a cure for AIDS} - simple because they support a faith-based position that nothing should be done to reign-in GHG emissions or to disturb the status quo “corporate free market” paradigm.

I bring this up because in another thread “Faith” is being held up as a great virtue.
My question: What good is “Faith” when it forces people to willfully ignore the reality going on around them?
~ ~ ~

ps
http://whatsupwiththatwatts.blogspot.com/2012/01/wuwt-champions-and-cheers-moncktons.html
http://whatsupwiththatwatts.blogspot.com/2012/01/dont-mock-monck-wuwt-112011-anthonys.html

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 18 January 2012 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

I feel like a good portion of AGW denialism is coming from the faith-based beliefs that humanity has dominion over the Earth yet no ability to destroy it. Have Monckton and Watts stated explicitly that this is where his convictions stem from?

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 18 January 2012 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

PS.  This wasn’t a rhetorical question.  After spending a couple days revisiting Monckton’s contemptable nonsense and the manipulated dialogue over at WUWT, I’m demoralized and feeling so depressingly hopeless about people’s ability to see past their own desires and FAITH.

Is there any realistic hope out there for rational sanity to carry the day?
If so, how can supposedly thinking people embrace such a transparent fraud?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.    downer

Signature 

Posted: 18 January 2012 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
domokato - 18 January 2012 11:57 AM

I feel like a good portion of AGW denialism is coming from the faith-based beliefs that humanity has dominion over the Earth yet no ability to destroy it. Have Monckton and Watts stated explicitly that this is where his convictions stem from?

cross posting.

No they make no such explicit statement - instead they are saying all the climatologists* of the world are lying to us to further their own diabolical intentions… and they have pretty much said that explicitly.

{ *Well, except for their stable of a handful of “intrepid renegades” }

============

oh yea, the other thing they explicitly state is that our economy needs to keep moving full speed ahead, and that nothing should be done to reconsider Reaganomics priorities of the past decades, namely consume as fast and as much as possible.

[ Edited: 18 January 2012 03:56 PM by citizenschallenge.pm ]
 Signature