1 of 2
Hello!
Posted: 23 January 2012 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2012-01-23

My name is Catey Condon. I am a full time college student and a full time member of the National Atheist Party. I strongly support the Separation of Church and State. I also feel that atheists should have a stronger political voice. I currently live in a small town in Southern Indiana and I see many laws passed with religious justification that I would consider anything but just.

Signature 

Posted: 23 January 2012 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Welcome to the CFI Forum, Catey. With your background you should have plenty to discuss with our membership, who are very interested in the issues you raise.

Cheers,

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 23 January 2012 04:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

Welcome, Catey. I’ve been thinking about joining the NAP. Good to have you here

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 23 January 2012 08:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  5169
Joined  2010-06-16

Welcome, Catey.  I agree with you, but unfortunately a fair number of atheists are in the closet.  They don’t want to rock the boat or expose themselves to criticism from their relatives and co-workers.  I don’t think we have to be aggressive, but we should be willing to state our views and to defend them if attacked.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 24 January 2012 12:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-01-23

Absolutely. I only just recently came out of the atheist closet to my family and it was more than just a rocky road. I would never ask someone to go through that unless they were ready and willing to go through it for themselves. I do not think we should shirk to defend ourselves when confronted nor should we shy away from standing up for what we feels is right and align with what beliefs we do hold. I also think we should be proud to state that we are atheist, as christians are proud to flaunt their beliefs. but i acknowledge not everyone is ready to scream it at the top of their lungs

Signature 

Posted: 24 January 2012 03:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  5975
Joined  2009-02-26

Welcome Catey,

Looking forward to your posts.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 24 January 2012 07:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  4616
Joined  2007-10-05

Welcome aboard, Catey. I also look forward to your posts. I suspect you will have some interesting things to say.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 24 January 2012 04:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-01-23

I look forward to posting in the forums and reading about the topics already posted there. I’ve looked around a bit already and find great discussions. I try to present any new topics with as many resources and evidence as possible and I hope you guys enjoy the posts I contribute. I will try to be as active as possible but I find myself a bit busy from time to time with the NAtional Atheist Party and homework.

Signature 

Posted: 24 January 2012 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

Welcome Catey.  Glad to have you here.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 26 February 2012 05:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2012-02-26

If you are an Atheist and say when you die if you still retain your consciousness after death will you be scared or just neutral.

Posted: 26 February 2012 05:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  5975
Joined  2009-02-26
edwardlobo - 26 February 2012 05:07 AM

If you are an Atheist and say when you die if you still retain your consciousness after death will you be scared or just neutral.

No, first I believe that we lose out consciousness on death. We may live on in the minds if those we have known, but that is different.
OTOH, If you believe in God, and you retain your consciousness. Will you be scared or just neutral? Suppose heaven does not exist and you’ll drift in empty space, a lonely consciousness, for the rest of eternity?

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 26 February 2012 06:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2012-02-16

Hi Catey,
  I think that it would be a great idea to have some sort of collaboration between various atheist groups and create some sort of unified Secular Humanist/Political Party.  Could you give us some more information on the National Atheist Party?

Signature 

If your belief is true, the data will confirm it.  If your belief is false, then you need faith to believe it.
Religions that demand respect the most - are the religions that merit respect the least.
If you are offended by attacks on your religion, then your religion has programmed you well.

Posted: 26 February 2012 07:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-02-26
Write4U - 26 February 2012 05:54 AM
edwardlobo - 26 February 2012 05:07 AM

No, first I believe that we lose out consciousness on death. We may live on in the minds if those we have known, but that is different.
OTOH, If you believe in God, and you retain your consciousness. Will you be scared or just neutral? Suppose heaven does not exist and you’ll drift in empty space, a lonely consciousness, for the rest of eternity?

Maybe I expect exactly that - as I am not a believer in god but still believe consciousness will exist after death. Hence I would be delighted no matter what comes. If I am conscious I expect that so there is no surprise. If I am unconscious after death then atleast I have maintained consciousness at the dying moment and leave happy with the thought that I will maintain it while passing to the other side even if it does not exist it still brings me happiness at the moment of death. You dont need to believe in heavens or god for that. I dont but still believe in consciousness after death.

Posted: 26 February 2012 07:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
edwardlobo - 26 February 2012 07:15 AM

... I am not a believer in god but still believe consciousness will exist after death.

Why?

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 26 February 2012 07:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-02-26
dougsmith - 26 February 2012 07:17 AM

... I am not a believer in god but still believe consciousness will exist after death.

Why?

By why do you mean why would we exist if there is no god ?
What if there is no god like religion has taught us. Religion might have come out of our necessity to have a logic to everything. If we exist there might be some creator. What if we just exist just like religions say god just exists without beginning and end.

Posted: 26 February 2012 07:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
edwardlobo - 26 February 2012 07:26 AM
dougsmith - 26 February 2012 07:17 AM

Why?

By why do you mean why would we exist if there is no god ?
What if there is no god like religion has taught us. Religion might have come out of our necessity to have a logic to everything. If we exist there might be some creator. What if we just exist just like religions say god just exists without beginning and end.

No, I mean why do you think that consciousness would exist after death? There is no evidence for it, and all the evidence we have is that the brain is responsible for all mental processes. Hence no brain, no mental processes.

Signature 

Doug

1 of 2

‹‹ Greetings      Hello from New Zealand ››