1 of 2
Do the Mormons practice a religion?
Posted: 24 January 2012 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Is the Church of Christ of Latter Day Saints (The Mormons) a religion, or not?  Can a book written by a man be considered the basis of a new religion?  Can a man with a more generic name than Joseph Smith really exist?  Can a new religion be invented by a New Yorker in the early nineteenth century?  Can a new religion be invented someone in modern times?  Can a religion be based on vague hints that there might possibly have been Jews established in North America thousands of years before Columbus, such as a stone with odd writing by Los Lunas south of Albuquerque, NM?  Could Independence, Missouri be the new Zion city?  Oh, those Mormons!

What do you think Humanists?

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 24 January 2012 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  4260
Joined  2010-08-15

If he’s got cahones of brass I’ll bet he can.

hmmm just who WAS this seer of God?

I bet it would be fun if someone that’s read up on the man could share some insights.  Me, I’ve just hear rumors, but I have known a handful of serious Mormon’s and they sure do spook me pretty good.

Darron can get the popcorn, I’ll get the beer. . . . . . .

cool smirk

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 24 January 2012 08:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2679
Joined  2011-04-24

The answer is yes to all questions.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 24 January 2012 08:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

Ok ok, guess I’m exaggerating, it was only God’s Archangel Joe saw.  But he was nice enough to show Joseph those fabled golden pages of history, although no one else was special enough to be entrusted with seeing them. . .

Sort of like Cheney/Bush’s Weapons Of Mass Destruction I imagine… eh

Signature 

Posted: 24 January 2012 11:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

What’s the difference between believing in ancient mythology and recent mythology?  Methodists and Lutherans are also fairly recent, and Scientology is only about 50 years old.  If you can get suckers to accept it, no matter what it is, it can be a successful religion.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 25 January 2012 05:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14

Agreed: if Mormonism isn’t a religion, then it’s not clear what is. Sure, its background is loony, but so are all religions to one degree or another.

The only one in Occam’s list that I have issues with is Scientology. My feeling is that Scientology was founded as a quack psychology moneymaking scheme by L. Ron Hubbard, and it was only established as a ‘religion’ to escape taxes. (Also Hubbard apparently made a bet with several other SF writers that he could establish a religion). Also its religious credentials have been challenged in several countries, IIRC Germany being one.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 25 January 2012 06:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
dougsmith - 25 January 2012 05:13 AM

(Also Hubbard apparently made a bet with several other SF writers that he could establish a religion).

surprised

Like I heard on one of those POI interviews: an anecdote that’s probably apocryphal but too good to fact check.
LOL
But, I couldn’t resist procrastinating on the morning duties to do a little web surfing.  Found some interesting stuff here http://www.cosvm.org/startit.htm.  Unfortunately, the UC at Boulder webpage they link to is down.  Considering the litigation happy history of Scientology there’s probably a juicy story behind that one too.

But,  long face  the bottom-line seems to be

“It’s also important to note that Hubbard didn’t create a religion—as a result of a bar bet or otherwise. Hubbard created a criminal enterprise based upon his delusional fantasies and only looked in to what he called his “religion angle” as a method of acquiring tax exemption so he and his fellow criminals could hold on to more of the take. His “Volunteer Minister” scam is based upon the fraudulent tax scam.”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

OK so what is it that Joseph created? 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormonism_and_violence

But life goes on and all things evolve

now it’s a mega business corporation… http://1857massacre.com/MMM/ldsworth.htm

Signature 

Posted: 25 January 2012 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  1764
Joined  2007-10-22

Of course anyone can “found a religion” as you may have noticed I am promoting two.  The Church of the Corner Bar and the Lord God Moola whose shrine is in my garage.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 25 January 2012 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14
garythehuman - 25 January 2012 09:42 AM

Of course anyone can “found a religion” as you may have noticed I am promoting two.  The Church of the Corner Bar and the Lord God Moola whose shrine is in my garage.

LOL

Sounds good to me!

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 25 January 2012 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I agree, Doug, about the foundation of Scientology, but now that they have a growing group of suckers and “believers” in the “authority” of it, I feel it fits the definition of religion.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 25 January 2012 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  438
Joined  2009-01-28
jump_in_the_pit - 24 January 2012 04:52 PM

Is the Church of Christ of Latter Day Saints (The Mormons) a religion, or not?  Can a book written by a man be considered the basis of a new religion?  Can a man with a more generic name than Joseph Smith really exist?  Can a new religion be invented by a New Yorker in the early nineteenth century?  Can a new religion be invented someone in modern times?  Can a religion be based on vague hints that there might possibly have been Jews established in North America thousands of years before Columbus, such as a stone with odd writing by Los Lunas south of Albuquerque, NM?  Could Independence, Missouri be the new Zion city?  Oh, those Mormons!

My cousins are Mormons, and yes it is most definitely a religion.

Posted: 25 January 2012 08:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  2679
Joined  2011-04-24

Religions,cults,and quack psychology money-making schemes are all the exact same thing to me,the only differences are size and wealth.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 25 January 2012 08:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  4811
Joined  2007-10-05

South Park on Joseph Smith: Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 26 January 2012 05:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  285
Joined  2011-09-13

Yes etc etc etc and on and on.

Posted: 26 January 2012 08:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

Absolutely “yes” to all of your questions. There isn’t a religion around which is not a human creation, and the case can be made that they were often as not, contrived out of nothing by people who were essentially con-men.

Why should Mormonism be any different?

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 26 January 2012 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  419
Joined  2007-08-24

The angel Moroni was either a figment of Smith’s imagination, an alien or an angel from God.  The masses of Christians who followed Joseph Smith’s vision were desperate believers without a believable God.  The followers of Jesus at that time were simply doing what they are doing today and trying to build an Inquisition of strict laws that punish all who question the Pope or the Church of England. 

The human brain seems to be drawn into being a member of some mass system that is growing at any time.  It is the same thing that draws kids into gangs.  We don’t seem to focus on the individual growth and our kids will gang up for their own security.  Too many Americans send their kids to school and Sunday school to learn the rules of survival and when the kids are considered educated they are thrown into a world of their own making.  They have learned that they can rape and pillage and then be forgiven.  They have no sense of self responsibility.  Ayn Rand has some words on self responsibility.

Mormons are as good as any religious group except they want to out-breed the other members of other religions.

1 of 2