2 of 2
Do the Mormons practice a religion?
Posted: 26 January 2012 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

Joseph Smith had a history as a con artist.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 26 January 2012 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  3345
Joined  2011-11-04

Now the Shakers… That was a good religion.  If only more religions shared their belief.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 26 January 2012 09:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  2717
Joined  2011-04-24
asanta - 26 January 2012 06:23 PM

Joseph Smith had a history as a con artist.

But his conning was forgivable,because he was “chosen”.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 30 January 2012 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

IPU logo

Ancient religious origins give believers the excuse to believe in the religion… it is ancient, so you cannot say “Your religion’s start is not valid” and you can not say “Your religion’s start is valid!” either because no-one remembers the start, no-one has the evident to say.  But the modern religions don’t have that corner to hide behind, because people do have some history or some evidence about the start of the modern religion.  Ancient religions ask us to believe the Mathew/Mark/John/Luke stories of Jesus, or the Jewish stories of Abraham and Moses, who can say these did or didn’t exist without evidence?  But if Joesph Smith’s stories make a valid foundation for a religion, then so do Anton LaVey’s stories about Satan, Bobby Henderson’s stories about the FSM, and the stories about the Invisible Pink Unicorn. 

But since modern examples of religion have enough details to examine their start, why can’t we say something true like: no, Joseph Smith did not tell the truth about reading golden plates from underneath his hat, plates that he supposedly got from the angel Moroni, he was no better than David Koresh and the Branch Davidians, no better than Marshall Applewhite and Heaven’s Gate, an extremist cult leader. 

The Mormon’s have grown since then to establish some good things.  I like their chorus at Christmas time. smile  I’m amazed they have a city in the desert.  But their foundation, is not valid.  And I doubt the city will last, being in the desert.

And just to be fair, we can say that Abraham was a horrible religious extremist parent for trying to sacrifice his own son, and his god was no better than him to ask for a human sacrifice!  Then once again his god asked for a human sacrifice at the start of Christianity too, that sacrifice took even if Abraham’s didn’t. 

Honestly, I’m surprised to see the Humanists supporting the Church of the Latter Day Saints as valid as the next religion.  Hum… telling.  So then let all the new religions have their way with the people, let the Humanists not stand in their way and say, “Wait just a minute here, Joseph Smith, he was out of his mind!  Those who knew him and followed him were duped.”  Instead pay your respects to the Mormons and give them their due, make room for them at the table, and for the Scientologists, and the Mayan end-of-the-world believers, and the out-cast Amish who might establish the next religion.  Pose no resistance to the spread.

“Because of the potential power and, therefore, danger involved with runic spellcasting, beginning runic students should be cautious when attempting to cast any spells.”

“While much of the story of the Tuatha de Danann has been distorted over time, there is growing evidence that the story is based on fact. Remains from some of the battlefields have been found which cast a different light on the story as a whole. No longer are the Tuatha considered just Irish legend and fairies.”

Make room at the table, here they come Humanists.  smile

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 30 January 2012 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  2717
Joined  2011-04-24
jump_in_the_pit - 30 January 2012 03:32 PM

IPU logo

Ancient religious origins give believers the excuse to believe in the religion… it is ancient, so you cannot say “Your religion’s start is not valid” and you can not say “Your religion’s start is valid!” either because no-one remembers the start, no-one has the evident to say.  But the modern religions don’t have that corner to hide behind, because people do have some history or some evidence about the start of the modern religion.  Ancient religions ask us to believe the Mathew/Mark/John/Luke stories of Jesus, or the Jewish stories of Abraham and Moses, who can say these did or didn’t exist without evidence?  But if Joesph Smith’s stories make a valid foundation for a religion, then so do Anton LaVey’s stories about Satan, Bobby Henderson’s stories about the FSM, and the stories about the Invisible Pink Unicorn. 

But since modern examples of religion have enough details to examine their start, why can’t we say something true like: no, Joseph Smith did not tell the truth about reading golden plates from underneath his hat, plates that he supposedly got from the angel Moroni, he was no better than David Koresh and the Branch Davidians, no better than Marshall Applewhite and Heaven’s Gate, an extremist cult leader. 

The Mormon’s have grown since then to establish some good things.  I like their chorus at Christmas time. smile  I’m amazed they have a city in the desert.  But their foundation, is not valid.  And I doubt the city will last, being in the desert.

And just to be fair, we can say that Abraham was a horrible religious extremist parent for trying to sacrifice his own son, and his god was no better than him to ask for a human sacrifice!  Then once again his god asked for a human sacrifice at the start of Christianity too, that sacrifice took even if Abraham’s didn’t. 

Honestly, I’m surprised to see the Humanists supporting the Church of the Latter Day Saints as valid as the next religion.  Hum… telling.  So then let all the new religions have their way with the people, let the Humanists not stand in their way and say, “Wait just a minute here, Joseph Smith, he was out of his mind!  Those who knew him and followed him were duped.”  Instead pay your respects to the Mormons and give them their due, make room for them at the table, and for the Scientologists, and the Mayan end-of-the-world believers, and the out-cast Amish who might establish the next religion.  Pose no resistance to the spread.

“Because of the potential power and, therefore, danger involved with runic spellcasting, beginning runic students should be cautious when attempting to cast any spells.”

“While much of the story of the Tuatha de Danann has been distorted over time, there is growing evidence that the story is based on fact. Remains from some of the battlefields have been found which cast a different light on the story as a whole. No longer are the Tuatha considered just Irish legend and fairies.”

Make room at the table, here they come Humanists.  smile

The plain to see B.S is not the point though, people believe these modern religions because they are biologically compelled to.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 12 February 2012 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2011-10-15

Key to the Kingdom
xc196.jpg

From the series, “Churches ad hoc”

Posted: 12 February 2012 02:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  3258
Joined  2011-08-15

Total Posts:  407
Joined  2011-11-04
Now the Shakers… That was a good religion.  If only more religions shared their belief.

Great! If they did religion should have died! The Shakers died off at
The turn of the century because they were celebate.  LOL

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 13 February 2012 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  3345
Joined  2011-11-04
Thevillageatheist - 12 February 2012 02:35 PM

Joined  2011-11-04

Cap’t Jack

Thanks for catching my point, and understanding my dry sense of humor.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 24 February 2012 07:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

Seems an apropo current event…

LINK

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 26 February 2012 09:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  1778
Joined  2007-10-22
Thevillageatheist - 12 February 2012 02:35 PM

Joined  2011-11-04

Cap’t Jack

But according to the TV ads from Blue Cross/Blue Shield I saw last night its making a come back under the guise of improving one’s health.  LOL

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

2 of 2