2 of 3
Reason Rally
Posted: 29 March 2012 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15362
Joined  2006-02-14
traveler - 29 March 2012 01:29 PM

I got edumacated at the rally - I learned that there is only one monument (the Washington monument). All of the other features are memorials. Did not know that before the rally.

Oh. I thought they were all monuments AND memorials ...

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 29 March 2012 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  6021
Joined  2009-02-26

For those in NC, there is a follow-up rally to the Reason Rally

http://rockbeyondbelief.com/

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 29 March 2012 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  2671
Joined  2011-04-24
dougsmith - 29 March 2012 06:37 AM
traveler - 29 March 2012 05:27 AM
mid atlantic - 09 February 2012 10:29 AM

There is not actually a whole lot to see in D.C.,believe it or not - so don’t feel too bad.  If I can get off work I’ll show up,as D.C. is only 30 minutes away from me.

It’s one of our favorite places to visit. The museums: Air & Space, Holocaust, Science, Natural history… We also love the Metro as it allows us to easily visit surrounding areas like Georgetown and Bethesda. The many memorials and the single monument can be awe inspiring. Just hanging out at the mall and seeing the variety of people is fun.

Yes indeed! I wasn’t able to get there this year, but IMO DC is one of the best spots in the US for tourism. There is so much to see, from the museums (mostly free), to touring the government buildings (congress, library, Supreme Court, State Department, etc.), to the monuments (Lincoln, Jefferson, Vietnam, etc.), to just walking around the Mall, Georgetown or the other neighborhoods.

I have no idea how one could go to that city and think there was not a whole lot to see!

Meh, I always found that stuff somewhat boring; in fact the whole MD, DC, North VA region is an ugly hole IMO.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 29 March 2012 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2011-04-24

BTW, did any confrontation occur between believers and non believers?

Signature 

Posted: 29 March 2012 10:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
mid atlantic - 29 March 2012 06:00 PM

BTW, did any confrontation occur between believers and non believers?

Nothing physical or major. There was at least one person trying to preach. Of course someone like that just looks silly at a reason rally.  smile

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 30 March 2012 05:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
mid atlantic - 29 March 2012 05:55 PM

Meh, I always found that stuff somewhat boring; in fact the whole MD, DC, North VA region is an ugly hole IMO.

Boring and ugly compared to what?

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 30 March 2012 06:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
dougsmith - 30 March 2012 05:56 AM
mid atlantic - 29 March 2012 05:55 PM

Boring and ugly compared to what?

I find the western and far northern U.S.  more attractive; I’m the type of barbarian that can only take memorials and museums for a short time before losing interest.

Signature 

Posted: 30 March 2012 06:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
mid atlantic - 30 March 2012 06:26 AM

I find the western and far northern U.S.  more attractive; I’m the type of barbarian that can only take memorials and museums for a short time before losing interest.

Chacun à son goût, as they say in French. (FWIW I also find the west and north US attractive. But less boring?)

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 30 March 2012 07:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
dougsmith - 30 March 2012 06:42 AM
mid atlantic - 30 March 2012 06:26 AM

Chacun à son goût, as they say in French. (FWIW I also find the west and north US attractive. But less boring?)

I had to look up what that phrase means! LOL  Do you find the west and north to be no more exciting than the rest of the country?

Signature 

Posted: 30 March 2012 07:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

What I don’t like about the big north American cities (both in the U.S. and Canada) is the lack of open space. There are virtually no plazas and in Toronto, for example, we have only one wide avenue (the University Avenue). I remember how surprised I was the first time I saw the Time Squares, as I expected it to be much bigger.

I have always imagined Washington to have a lot of open space. Does it?

Posted: 30 March 2012 07:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
George - 30 March 2012 07:06 AM

What I don’t like about the big north American cities (both in the U.S. and Canada) is the lack of open space. There are virtually no plazas and in Toronto, for example, we have only one wide avenue (the University Avenue). I remember how surprised I was the first time I saw the Time Squares, as I expected it to be much bigger.

Not really. The Mall is a nice open area IMO but the DC area itself is fairly packed together and roads are narrow. The trails I ran on in nearby Bethesda were old railroad lines. Those trails take you through nice wooded areas so that you can escape the city ambiance. DC also has its poverty ridden areas like any other city. Sorry George.

Signature 

Posted: 30 March 2012 07:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
traveler - 30 March 2012 07:13 AM

Not really. The Mall is a nice open area IMO but the DC area itself is fairly packed together and roads are narrow. The trails I ran on in nearby Bethesda were old railroad lines. Those trails take you through nice wooded areas so that you can escape the city ambiance. DC also has its poverty ridden areas like any other city. Sorry George.

Hmm, too bad. I alway wanted to see it.

And since I am already at it, I must complain about the new Yonge-Dundas Square in Toronto (considered the “centre” of Canada). They had a chance to do something interesting here, but IMO they totally screwed it up. They got rid of some buildings to allow for open space, but in the end all they accomplished was to create a dark depressing place with billboards and architecture resembling the sets from the Blade Runner. Very sad indeed. Have a look HERE.

Posted: 30 March 2012 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2008-04-07

Sheesh! Commercial much? Vertical builds destroy the horizontal view. Sad.

Signature 

Posted: 30 March 2012 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
mid atlantic - 30 March 2012 07:04 AM

Do you find the west and north to be no more exciting than the rest of the country?

What can I say? By far the most exciting part of the country for me is the NE corridor. (NYC in particular). There are also isolated areas like Chicago, parts of New Orleans, Silicon Valley for technology.

But then I’m an urban sort.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 30 March 2012 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
traveler - 30 March 2012 07:13 AM

Personally I don’t like cities with wide boulevards—in which I would include central DC where all the tourist action is. (Not the surrounding neighborhoods like Georgetown). The great walking cities (London, NYC in particular) have relatively narrow streets with a whole lot going on at eye level. They also have large, wooded parks. Yes, the DC Mall qualifies in that regard, but it’s too open and regimented for my taste. I prefer parks that really let you get lost in them. For that, Central Park is pretty unmatched among big cities.

Signature 

Doug

2 of 3