14 of 14
Man is by Nature Religious
Posted: 10 February 2012 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 196 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
Jerry Shugart - 10 February 2012 12:31 PM
dougsmith - 10 February 2012 12:11 PM

If you could serve him better in heaven, why are you here on Earth?

I said that that possibility exists. However, I do know for a fact that while on earth I have been given a ministry and I intend to carry out that ministry.

Oh darn!!! Why wasn’t I given a ministry. I never win anything.  wink

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 10 February 2012 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 197 ]
Total Posts:  3191
Joined  2011-11-04
traveler - 10 February 2012 01:28 PM

I said that that possibility exists. However, I do know for a fact that while on earth I have been given a ministry and I intend to carry out that ministry.

I think the “Ministry of Funny Walks” may have an opening. smile

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 10 February 2012 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 198 ]
Total Posts:  1765
Joined  2007-10-22

There are many opening for elders down at the Church of the Corner Bar.  (Did you expext something else. rolleyes)

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 10 February 2012 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 199 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Are you sure you were “given a ministry” and that you didn’t really steal it?

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 11 February 2012 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 200 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2012-01-10

Religion is so common, and will continue to be so, because there are two basic human “needs”: 1-fear of death, 2-thirst for transcendency, to which faith in a supernatural order is still the instinctive immediate approach, with the moral and intellectual abilities of our present stage of evolution. Some people stay there because they get comfort and consolation. Some others try to validate this approach rationally and fail time after time because it’s an impossible mission. Reason doesn’t provide any comfort in that sense, but we should trust it because it’s giving us valid clues for progress in every other field of life, and it’s also conspicuously telling us that, no matter how many people take the instinctive approach, no matter how well organized they get, no matter how spectacular and worldwide-spread the resulting cult can be, there isn’t a single word of truth in everything we have been told so far about any religion.

Signature 

Consider, Sir, that those wich appear yonder, are not giants, but windmills.

Posted: 13 February 2012 07:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 201 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
traveler - 10 February 2012 01:28 PM

Traveler, it’s easy to be given a ministry. You just join a church and act interested. Then, Sky Daddy will “lay a burden on your heart” for some need to be met. (Translation: you think, hey it might be cool to lead a youth group.) Then the preacher notices you hanging around the high school kids and asks if you might be interested in helping the youth pastor out. You do this for a while and then the youth pastor gets caught with his hands in the pants of one of the high school girls and leaves in disgrace. So then the lord “lays it on your heart” to “step out on faith” and take over the youth group. (Translation: the church can’t afford a new youth minister and the preacher guilts you into doing for free a job that formerly paid a 20-something fulltime wages to do.)

Viola! You have been given a ministry! Congratulations!

(True story)

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 13 February 2012 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 202 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

Damn, you’ve seen some sick stuff Free! I’ve heard it on the news but haven’t witnessed it first hand.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 13 February 2012 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 203 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
traveler - 13 February 2012 07:42 AM

Damn, you’ve seen some sick stuff Free! I’ve heard it on the news but haven’t witnessed it first hand.

Well, I didn’t actually see that first hand. But it was told to me by someone who did see it first hand. That’s actually quite tame compared to some of the stuff I have heard about.

In fact, one of the main reasons I became disillusioned about church is the fact that they constantly talk about “Jesus changing lives” but my experience was that you see exactly the same mixture of good people, bad people, and in-between (most people) inside the church as outside. They have the same issues, problems, “demons”, etc. regardless of which side you are on. So if Jesus is really changing the lives of those on the inside, I never saw any evidence of it.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

14 of 14