Atheists in the Military
Posted: 03 February 2012 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1741
Joined  2007-10-22

A friend just sent me this; some of you may have heard about “Rock Beyond Belief”.  This has some details.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16859421

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 03 February 2012 11:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24

I’ve heard about “Rock Beyond Belief” before;it’s good to hear that non-believers are gaining a tiny bit of acceptence in the Army.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 04 February 2012 12:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2012-01-23

Rock Beyond Belief is a great movement, especially when you look into who and how it was founded. It was founded by Justin Griffith, a “foxhole Atheist”. While serving under an active duty enlistment, Mr. Griffith was ordered to attend a Christian festival hosted by Billy Graham, and subsequently detained for his refusal. SO he started a equal and separate Secular option.
Since it is close to the Reason Rally there as some speakers that overlap and the National Atheist Party is trying to extend their presence from the Reason Rally to Rock Beyond Belief

If I wasnt already scraping together cash to go to the Reason Rally I would definitly be down for going to an Atheist Rock Concert

Signature 

Posted: 04 February 2012 02:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
mid atlantic - 03 February 2012 11:49 PM

I’ve heard about “Rock Beyond Belief” before;it’s good to hear that non-believers are gaining a tiny bit of acceptence in the Army.

I don’t think ‘acceptance’ had anything to do with it. I think it had more to do with bad publicity, lawyers, and a threatened lawsuit.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 04 February 2012 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5187
Joined  2010-06-16

You’re right, Asanta, but forced compliance often gradually turns into grudging agreement,  annoyed acquiescence, and finally into acceptance.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 04 February 2012 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam. - 04 February 2012 01:05 PM

You’re right, Asanta, but forced compliance often gradually turns into grudging agreement,  annoyed acquiescence, and finally into acceptance.

Occam

I hope so… it is the only thing that will stop us from going full tilt into becoming a Theocracy.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 04 February 2012 09:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24
asanta - 04 February 2012 02:43 AM

I don’t think ‘acceptance’ had anything to do with it. I think it had more to do with bad publicity, lawyers, and a threatened lawsuit.

If that gets the job done,then that’s fine.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 05 February 2012 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
mid atlantic - 04 February 2012 09:35 PM
asanta - 04 February 2012 02:43 AM

If that gets the job done,then that’s fine.

Exactly. I’d like to go, but it’s too soon after Reason Rally for me (although Dawkins will be at both).

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

‹‹ It Only Just Happened      Charity ››