Brian Angliss engages Burt Rutan (one of the WSJ 16) Engineer to Engineer
Posted: 04 February 2012 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4404
Joined  2010-08-15

In researching the various signers of the Wall Street Journal’s letter
“No Need to Panic About Global Warming” (1/27/12)
I was surprised that Burt Rutan winner of the Ansari X-Prize in 2004 was among the crowd.  It gave me pause since he has accomplished some great things that I was aware of during there happening.  And it also caused me to again wonder about the difference in the approach of thee Engineer vs. the Earth Scientist.

Then I came across a series of exchanges between one Brian Angliss, an engineer, and Burt Rutan. 
I haven’t gotten closer to grasping the root of the dichotomy between climatologists and the scientifically proficient AGW deniers most of whom are engineers. 
But, I did discover what a disappointing ideology driven demagogue Rutan has turned into.

Refusing to acknowledge anything other than his own shallow, and misleading, talking points - while willfully ignoring the excellent points and questions directed at him by Mr. Angliss.

On the other hand Brian’s even tempered issue focused approach is a thing of beauty that students of AGW debate can learn from.

Climate science discussion between Burt Rutan and Brian Angliss
Posted on January 31, 2012

http://www.scholarsandrogues.com/2012/01/31/climate-science-discussion-between-burt-rutan-and-brian-angliss/

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 04 February 2012 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  4865
Joined  2007-10-05

After reading this exchange I have lost even more respect for Burt Rutan. He is a brilliant engineer, but is blinded by ideology on climate change.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 05 February 2012 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  4404
Joined  2010-08-15

For what it’s worth I’ve posted a list linking to intelligent rebuttals to the Wall Street Journal’s letter of January 27, 2012 “No Need to Panic About Global Warming” over at my blog:
What’sUpWithThatWatts.blogspot.com

I introduce it with a quote from a Point of Inquiry interview Chris Mooney had with David Frum former speech writer for George W. Bush and author of Comeback: “Conservatism that Can Win Again” and Kenneth Silber science writer and contributor to “Research Magazine, Scientific American” that occurred August 1, 2011.

http://www.pointofinquiry.org/david_frum_and_kenneth_silber_conservatives_and_science/

{...}
My favor quote happens about twenty minutes into the discussion when Mooney asks about “Right-Wing Think-Tanks” and their attitude that it’s their job “to refute what liberal intellectuals say.”

David Frum replies:
  “You can’t. . .  you have no business going into the intellectual market to try and convince others unless you are willing to be convinced yourself.  And if you begin from the point of view I’m just not going to yield no matter what the evidence is I will just continue to say blah, blah, blah and repeat talking points, then you’re selling.  You’re not engaged in the market place of ideas.  And that has become a worse problem…”

[ Edited: 05 February 2012 03:05 PM by citizenschallenge.pm ]
 Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest