1 of 2
god hates figs
Posted: 06 February 2012 08:34 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3213
Joined  2011-08-15

Don’t know if you’ve seen this one but those fundies are at it again and this time they’re using candy!!  grin

http://theperilsofpalins.wordpress.com/2012/01/30/god-hates-figs/

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 06 February 2012 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

I love it!  LOL

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 06 February 2012 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I always thought it was an olive tree Jesus got pissed at, not a fig tree. But I already said it before: I really suck at theology.

Posted: 06 February 2012 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  4357
Joined  2010-08-15

poledance.jpg?w=500&h=375

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 06 February 2012 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  1765
Joined  2007-10-22

Good un

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 06 February 2012 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  2699
Joined  2011-04-24

Simply adorable.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 22 February 2012 10:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-02-22

There is a real problem with fig trees in Mark and Matthew. Mark which was written before Matthew tells the story of the fig tree in Chapter 11:14, 20-21. Jesus curses those horrible figs “And in the morning, as they passed by, they saw the fig tree dried up from the roots. And Peter calling to remembrance saith unto him, Master, behold, the fig tree which thou cursedst is withered away.” So it took a day for the fig tree to die.

But Matthew’s author did not like what the compiler of Mark had done so he made a lot of changes. Mark was frankly not the Magic Jesus that Matthew wanted so he had give him more miracles and make those miracles far more magical. The fig tree is the best example for in Matt 21:19-20 the fig tree dies instantly now. “And when he saw a fig tree in the way, he came to it, and found nothing thereon, but leaves only, and said unto it, Let no fruit grow on thee henceforward for ever. And presently the fig tree withered away.
And when the disciples saw it, they marvelled, saying, How soon is the fig tree withered away!”

On top of all of this Matthew’s author changed a key reference to the Greek Septuagint that was clearly wrong in Mark, even though it was written by God’s guiding hand, and added as did every Gospel writer from then on to the Baptism story making it even more magical.

Frankly I can’t see why God hates figs so much? After all he has been forcing man to use them to hide what is natural behind them since Adam and Eve.

PS Does anyone else find the term “Old Testament” a little racist?

Signature 

RMac “The idea of the sacred is quite simply one of the most conservative notions in any culture, because it seeks to turn other ideas—uncertainty, progress, change—into crimes.” Salman Rushdie

Posted: 23 February 2012 02:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  2699
Joined  2011-04-24
Rmac - 22 February 2012 10:16 PM

There is a real problem with fig trees in Mark and Matthew. Mark which was written before Matthew tells the story of the fig tree in Chapter 11:14, 20-21. Jesus curses those horrible figs “And in the morning, as they passed by, they saw the fig tree dried up from the roots. And Peter calling to remembrance saith unto him, Master, behold, the fig tree which thou cursedst is withered away.” So it took a day for the fig tree to die.

But Matthew’s author did not like what the compiler of Mark had done so he made a lot of changes. Mark was frankly not the Magic Jesus that Matthew wanted so he had give him more miracles and make those miracles far more magical. The fig tree is the best example for in Matt 21:19-20 the fig tree dies instantly now. “And when he saw a fig tree in the way, he came to it, and found nothing thereon, but leaves only, and said unto it, Let no fruit grow on thee henceforward for ever. And presently the fig tree withered away.
And when the disciples saw it, they marvelled, saying, How soon is the fig tree withered away!”

On top of all of this Matthew’s author changed a key reference to the Greek Septuagint that was clearly wrong in Mark, even though it was written by God’s guiding hand, and added as did every Gospel writer from then on to the Baptism story making it even more magical.

Frankly I can’t see why God hates figs so much? After all he has been forcing man to use them to hide what is natural behind them since Adam and Eve.

PS Does anyone else find the term “Old Testament” a little racist?

How is Old Testament racist?

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 23 February 2012 02:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  6131
Joined  2009-02-26

Rmac,

Good thing those leaves did not wither…. wink

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 23 February 2012 03:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

Apparently this flower did not wither.

30,000 year old seed revived
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46456116/ns/world_news-europe/t/russians-revive-ice-age-flower-frozen-burrow/

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 13 March 2012 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

I know why god hates figs.
Figs are high in magnesium and Magnesium L-Threonate is one of the most (perhaps the most) important elements in brain function. It allows people to think! And that’s a no no.

http://insciences.org/article.php?article_id=8237
http://www.cell.com/neuron/abstract/S0896-6273(09)01044-7

psikeyhackr - 10 March 2012 08:07 AM

This should be relevant:

Scientists Claim Brain Memory Code Cracked

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/03/120309103701.htm

psik

BTW, psik, thanks for this excellent link.

[ Edited: 13 March 2012 11:16 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

Posted: 14 March 2012 04:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Figs are high in magnesium and Magnesium L-Threonate is one of the most (perhaps the most) important elements in brain function. It allows people to think! And that’s a no no

Wait just a minuteman (old History joke), Don’t people in the Middle East eat a lot of figs???? WTF? Interesting site though. How about Mozart and chess? Any results on synapsis from them?

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 14 March 2012 04:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Thevillageatheist - 14 March 2012 04:27 AM

Figs are high in magnesium and Magnesium L-Threonate is one of the most (perhaps the most) important elements in brain function. It allows people to think! And that’s a no no

Wait just a minuteman (old History joke), Don’t people in the Middle East eat a lot of figs???? WTF? Interesting site though. How about Mozart and chess? Any results on synapsis from them?
Cap’t Jack

Well, spinach has one of the highest amounts of magnesium, and even Popey loved spinach….that’s why he always beat Bluto….. cheese

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/magnesium/

And there is the first example of the “exponential function” in ancient Egypt. Remember the architect who, when rewarded by the Pharaoh, requested (starting with a single grain of wheat), a doubling on each square of a chessboard, Pretty smart if you ask me.

[ Edited: 14 March 2012 05:14 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

Posted: 14 March 2012 06:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

And there is the first example of the “exponential function” in ancient Egypt. Remember the architect who, when rewarded by the Pharaoh, requested (starting with a single grain of wheat), a doubling on each square of a chessboard, Pretty smart if you ask me

Absolutely! Except chess only dates to 650 CE. How about Jackals and Hounds? That was popular. And as to magnesium I should be a freekin’ genius! I eat everything on the list, especially chocolate. Love raw spinich. cheese

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 14 March 2012 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  3205
Joined  2011-11-04

On another thread an Islamic guy was suggesting that Muhammed was a great proponent of figs… and olives.  So if one is saying that Jehovah hates figs, that is probably not correct as Allah is the same entity as Jehovah.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 14 March 2012 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
TimB - 14 March 2012 02:12 PM

On another thread an Islamic guy was suggesting that Muhammed was a great proponent of figs… and olives.  So if one is saying that Jehovah hates figs, that is probably not correct as Allah is the same entity as Jehovah.

What a shame then to waste all that potential synapse growth on just reinforcing faith instead of knowledge.

Signature 

W4U

1 of 2