Balance the Scales with Church Tax Reform
Posted: 08 February 2012 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2012-01-23

Balance the Scales with Church Tax Reform

In the US churches are granted 501c3 tax-exempt status. Unlike other tax exemptions granted to other non-profit organizations, such as the ACLU, there is no enforced system of checks and balances to ensure they are not abusing this priviledge. There should be no organization that is above questioning or regulation and yet the churches seem to think they are owed this special treatment.

This is an article I recently wrote which highlights not only how and why they were granted this status but also highlights the many ways that this unregulated system is abused. It is definitly worth checking out. I think it is high time we demand transparency from the Churches and enforce the laws that are already in place. The tax exempt status of the churches needs to be investigates and reformed

Signature 

Posted: 08 February 2012 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

I agree 100% that the situation is bad public policy. I too would like to see it changed. But society will have to change before this will be possible. We have to become truly a secular society. As it is today, most people attend a place of worship of some kind at least occasionally and most give at least a buck to two to them. Maybe I’m wrong, but I just don’t see a groundswell anytime soon calling for reform on this front. I do believe it will happen in time, but probably not in my lifetime.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 12 February 2012 12:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-01-23

I agree it will take something big to see this change actually happen but I dont think it will necessarily take a pure secular society to see it happen. I think if someone has the balls to call out a church on its economic abuses and has a determined lawyer who wont settle til It get s national attention and a reasonably satisfying conclusion. People are all about lawsuits these days. I am just hoping to call attention to a problem people have just pushed aside for the sake of ” Oh, well thats just the way its always been done, cant be changed now” which is a lame excuse.
Raising awareness about an issue is a good first step

Signature 

Posted: 12 February 2012 03:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  2585
Joined  2011-04-24

YES! All churches should be taxed out of existence. If a church can’t be supported purely by it’s members,then it doesn’t deserve to exist.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 12 February 2012 04:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  2585
Joined  2011-04-24
catey.condon - 12 February 2012 12:43 AM

I agree it will take something big to see this change actually happen but I dont think it will necessarily take a pure secular society to see it happen. I think if someone has the balls to call out a church on its economic abuses and has a determined lawyer who wont settle til It get s national attention and a reasonably satisfying conclusion. People are all about lawsuits these days. I am just hoping to call attention to a problem people have just pushed aside for the sake of ” Oh, well thats just the way its always been done, cant be changed now” which is a lame excuse.
Raising awareness about an issue is a good first step

http://www.churchofsatan.com/ Hell yeah,you may want to check out the Church of Satan on this issue, They may be of some help to the National Atheist Party.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 12 February 2012 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  5169
Joined  2010-06-16

The only two cases I recall in Southern California were when strongly conservative groups filed a request that the IRS remove the tax exempt status from an Episcopalian and a Unitarian church because the ministers there made some politically liberal statements.  The IRS said they would investigate but nothing ever came of it.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 12 February 2012 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-01-23

Which is what usually happens. It is obvious that many churches use their power and money to further their political agenda. The IRS says that they will lose their tax exempt status if they do this but this rule is never enforced. There is very little reform actually needed, we just need to enforce the rules and regulations already in place

Signature 

Posted: 12 February 2012 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  2885
Joined  2011-08-15

Tax exem,pt status for churches, no matter what the denomination is too hot a topic in an election year. Obama won’t touch it right now even if they are using the pulpit for political purposes. Case in point, the contraceptive issue recently used as a make weight against employment gains during a dem. admin, even Boehmer scored points with the catholic community when he declared that he would fight the “government” over freedom of religion! This issue would be a job killer for any politician up for re-election. After this Nov. maybe. Could you imagine the fury of the evangelicals if Obama had announced the revocation of 501c3 status for churches at the annual prayer breakfast? Hyperbole I know but used to illustrate my point. Now’s not the time.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 14 February 2012 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  1741
Joined  2007-10-22

What’s da matter wit youse guys, trying to take away a preacher’s right to steal?

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 14 February 2012 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  2885
Joined  2011-08-15

Eh Vinnie, fugettabout it! Prechas gotta live too ya know whut am sayin’? LOL

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 14 February 2012 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-02-14

I have been suspicious of a local Church and a local non-profit “MISSION” org.  of using their tax exempt status to tuck some of their personal and/or private monies under the table.
I hope and wish/pray I am wrong,,, but as my father always said,,,and most people who know me will agree, “I AM NOT ALWAYS RIGHT - BUT VERY SELDOM WRONG.”  He He He,,,,,,,,
Seriously though,,, if we look at how many Catholic Churches have had to close because of paying off law suits from protecting Pedophile Priests YET,,,, THAT ORGANIZED CHURCH “SYSTEM” HAS MORE MONEY THAN GOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!            Those communities who have had their “flock” abused by those Priests are paying an even higher price than the Church, because they have lost their Trust and Local Church Building,,,plus all the help they would have received from the Churches Outreach programs.
I SAY TAX THEM,,, AS ANY OTHER BUSINESS.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,

~Irp Snerple, Rabble Rousing Pleiadian Dragon~

Posted: 14 February 2012 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-01-23

I would argue that the money the church has to use for law suits has to come from donations, right? So in a way their status gives them enough money and influence to quiet away this little issue of child abuse

Signature