Big news! Indre Viskontas Joins Point of Inquiry
Posted: 08 February 2012 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2009-06-02

Point of Inquiry, the official podcast of the Center for Inquiry (CFI), today announced that cognitive neuroscientist and former Miracle Detectives host Indre Viskontas will join the show as cohost with science writer Chris Mooney. Beginning in February, Mooney will host three times a month; Viskontas will anchor the last Monday of every month. The show will continue to be released every Monday on the Point of Inquiry website and on iTunes.

Point of Inquiry critically examines topics in science, religion, philosophy, and politics. Each episode takes on a specific issue and features lively discussion with leading researchers and writers, putting a special focus on science and public policy matters. Past shows have featured Brian Greene on string theory, Paul Offit on vaccine denialism, Eugenie C. Scott on the necessity of climate change education, and Daniel Dennett on the scientific study of religion.

“We are thrilled to have Indre Viskontas join the Point of Inquiry team. Her background in both cognitive neuroscience and entertainment makes her a natural fit,” said Adam Isaak, producer of Point of Inquiry. “Her ability to successfully present science and critical thinking to a general audience makes her an invaluable addition to the show.”

As cohost of the Oprah Winfrey Network hit show Miracle Detectives, Viskontas drew on her scientific background to investigate alleged miracles and provide a rational, skeptical perspective to counteract the temptations of magical thinking and pseudoscience.

Isaak added that he is very pleased that Chris Mooney will be expanding his role as a host from two shows to three shows per month. “Chris’s background as a science journalist and his skills as an interviewer have contributed immensely to the quality of our programming.”

CFI has also announced that later this month it will be launching a new podcast, focusing on critical examination of the Bible, hosted by biblical scholar Robert M. Price.

Indre Viskontas, a writer, neuroscientist, and opera singer, holds a doctorate in cognitive neuroscience and a master of music in vocal performance. Her scientific research explores the neural basis of memory and creativity; she has published more than thirty original peer-reviewed articles and book chapters. Viskontas is affiliated with the Memory and Aging Center at UC–San Francisco and is the associate editor of the journal Neurocase. She cohosted Miracle Detectives, a six-episode docuseries on the Oprah Winfrey Network, in which she explored the scientific explanations of paranormal experiences. She also blogs regularly at http://www.indreviskontas.com.

Chris Mooney is a science and political journalist, blogger, podcaster, and experienced trainer of scientists in the art of communication. He is the author of four books, including the New York Times best-selling The Republican War on Science and the forthcoming The Republican Brain: The Science of Why They Deny Science and Reality (April 2012). He blogs for Science Progress, a website of the Center for American Progress and Center for American Progress Action Fund.

To learn more, visit pointofinquiry.org.

http://action.centerforinquiry.net/site/MessageViewer?em_id=21441.0
http://www.pointofinquiry.org

Posted: 10 February 2012 07:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4392
Joined  2010-08-15

Indre Viskontas, that does sound like good news.  As it happens I listened to her being interviewed last October just a a couple weeks back and really enjoyed her.

It’ll be fun hearing her interview others.

Does this mean Robert Price is out?  Don’t mean to be mean, but just couldn’t listen to that guy.
Besides his ego, his substance didn’t cut it either.

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 15 March 2012 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2008-04-05

Indre Viskontas is one of those people whose profile you might see on a dating website and go “haha! That’s not a real person!” Too perfect (actually, come to think of it, that’s why you wouldn’t see her profile at a dating website in the first place). If the world were like it was in Vonnegut’s Sirens of Titan, where people were intentionally handicapped by the hyper-egalitarian govt. to offset their natural abilities, she would probably have to wear a suit of armor or something. 

Gushing aside, the interview w/ Blackmore went splendidly. It had been a while since I read that book (A Very Short Intro…) and I forgot how great it was. I’d be curious to hear what Gazzaniga thinks of her challenge to take the next step and apply post hoc analysis to self-conscious modeling in general. Great great great. I didn’t realize it, but it sounds like Blackmore is an incompatibilist (I could be wrong). Awesome! That’s where my leanings go as well.

On another note, in response to the comment above, I LOVE Dr. Price and hope he is still in the loop. I can listen to him talk all day- just keep it in the realm of religion (or Lovecraft) though…

[ Edited: 15 March 2012 12:55 PM by Gatogreensleeves ]
 Signature 

“Mary is the Yoko Ono of the Holy Family… and Satan is the Ringo.  It wouldn’t be the same without him- sometimes they even let him sing”

Posted: 22 March 2012 05:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  115
Joined  2007-12-09

I look forward very much to, and will very much appreciate, the work of Ms. Viskontas on POI.

And I’m quite glad that Mr. Price has been given something else to do.

Doesn’t Karen Stollznow deserve at least a formal thank you from CFI? 
Or can that be found somewhere that I haven’t seen?
I thought Ms. Stollznow did a very fine job and I had been looking forward to hearing more of her interviews!
Might we listeners have some sort of explanation as to why Ms. Stollznow is no longer one of the POI hosts?

Signature 

Brad

Posted: 14 June 2012 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

I’m confused, wasn’t Indre Viskontas going to be interviewing folks?
I don’t see any, am I missing something?

Did something go wrong with those plans?

Signature 

Posted: 18 June 2012 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
citizenschallenge.pm - 14 June 2012 01:40 PM

She does one per month. I have listened to 2 or 3 that she did.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 22 June 2012 08:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
FreeInKy - 18 June 2012 09:01 AM
citizenschallenge.pm - 14 June 2012 01:40 PM

She does one per month. I have listened to 2 or 3 that she did.

OK thanks, I’ll admit I’m not a regular listener, it’s more like when I have some free time I peek in and listen to a few.
Now that I’ve typed “Indre Viskontas into the search engine, I see that I have missed a bunch.

It’s too bad the folks that put together the POI webpage, don’t have an acknowledgement of the specific interviewer in their titles, but hey with a little help from my friends I can work around that.  Cosmic impacts here I come.

Signature