2 of 3
Free book: “Unorthodox” by Deborah Feldman, on escaping Hasidic Judaism
Posted: 01 March 2012 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2012-02-18

Understandably atheists or people who have disdain for religious people are going to find fault with the uncle’s letter.

Aside from the grammar, I liked it a lot.

In todays age of instant gratification, immorality, rampant with abortions, giving up kids for adoption, when inconvenient to raise them, I find it noble of the grandparents to have taken Ms Feldman in, and do their best for her, rather than toss her, as her very own mother did.

I read that the mother was penniless. Afterwards it became publicized that the mother is in Brooklyn, and a public school teacher. They cant both be true. While public school teachers arent Rockefellers, theyre not starving either. Ms Feldman stated that her mother left her behind as an infant or toddler. The mother is quoted as saying she left when Ms Feldman was much older.

There are many inconsistencies here, proving how this book is one angry girls way to make money and gain fame, at any cost.

I look down at anyone who offers sexual details of their lives to the public, but to offer sexual details involving her son’s father is lower than low and her son will hate her for that one day.

Wishing everyone on this blog health and happiness.

Thanks for reading.

Posted: 02 March 2012 06:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
Abe99 - 01 March 2012 06:37 PM

Understandably atheists or people who have disdain for religious people are going to find fault with the uncle’s letter.

In todays age of instant gratification, immorality, rampant with abortions, giving up kids for adoption, when inconvenient to raise them, I find it noble of the grandparents to have taken Ms Feldman in, and do their best for her, rather than toss her, as her very own mother did.

I read that the mother was penniless. Afterwards it became publicized that the mother is in Brooklyn, and a public school teacher. They cant both be true. While public school teachers arent Rockefellers, theyre not starving either. Ms Feldman stated that her mother left her behind as an infant or toddler. The mother is quoted as saying she left when Ms Feldman was much older.

There are many inconsistencies here, proving how this book is one angry girls way to make money and gain fame, at any cost.

I look down at anyone who offers sexual details of their lives to the public, but to offer sexual details involving her son’s father is lower than low and her son will hate her for that one day.

Thanks for reading.

Yes, the uncle’s letter was very nice. I particularly liked “now let’s prove what a LOW LIFE, GOOD for NOTHING you are”

Wish I had such a nice uncle. And as people here know, I’m a big fan of people who YELL.  wink

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 02 March 2012 09:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  2779
Joined  2011-11-04
Abe99 - 01 March 2012 06:37 PM

Thanks for reading.

I don’t find families emotional conflicts and travails to be entertaining, but that’s just me.

Signature 

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb… We are bound to others, past and present… And by each crime and every kindness… We birth our future.”  Sonmi, 2144.

Posted: 02 March 2012 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
TimB - 02 March 2012 09:32 AM

I don’t find families emotional conflicts and travails to be entertaining, but that’s just me.

Wow! You must have one hell of a time trying to find something to watch on television!  LOL

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 02 March 2012 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  2779
Joined  2011-11-04
FreeInKy - 02 March 2012 10:47 AM
TimB - 02 March 2012 09:32 AM

Wow! You must have one hell of a time trying to find something to watch on television!  LOL

If it’s far enough removed from current reality (preferably science fiction, fantasy, or historical) I can be entertained.  But public depictions of people’s current personal lives, seems a bit obscene to me.  “Reality” shows are the worst.

Signature 

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb… We are bound to others, past and present… And by each crime and every kindness… We birth our future.”  Sonmi, 2144.

Posted: 02 March 2012 05:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  5175
Joined  2010-06-16

Sorry Abe99, but you have demonstrated a few of the flaws of strong theists.  First, you assume that any criticism must come from “atheists or people who have disdain for religious people”.  Second, you pretty well showed your narrow, poorly thought out, and quite unjustified idea of morality and moral behavior. 

It’s unfortunate that you have no empathy or understanding of any views that happen to be different from your own.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 03 March 2012 10:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-02-18
Occam. - 02 March 2012 05:59 PM

Second, you pretty well showed your narrow, poorly thought out, and quite unjustified idea of morality and moral behavior. 

While my thoughts and opinions havent been the same as others’ here, I havent been nasty.

Im game. Enlighten me. Whats your idea of morality and moral behavior? Please try to remain calm and fair. We dont all have to think alike.

Posted: 03 March 2012 11:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

While I could write a thesis on my views of morality, the basic, succinct statement of the behavior I follow as an atheist is, “Help everyone if practical and avoid hurting anyone if possible.” 

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 04 March 2012 12:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-02-18
Occam. - 03 March 2012 11:39 PM

While I could write a thesis on my views of morality, the basic, succinct statement of the behavior I follow as an atheist is, “Help everyone if practical and avoid hurting anyone if possible.” 

Occam

Nice. I like that a lot.

Posted: 04 March 2012 01:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26
Abe99 - 04 March 2012 12:12 AM

Occam

Nice. I like that a lot.

Can you say the same of yourself?

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 04 March 2012 08:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-02-18
Write4U - 04 March 2012 01:03 AM

Occam

Nice. I like that a lot.

Absolutely.

Perhaps we’d differ somewhat on how we define “practical”, but otherwise, without any doubt, I say the same!

We might be more similar than different. smile

Posted: 04 March 2012 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

That’s almost certainly true.  I believe that the belief or disbelief in a god is separate from one’s ethics and morals.  We see evil people who are devout in every different belief system, and we see good, ethical people in all of them.  It’s unfortunate that many religions try to denegrate all who do not believe as they do.  That appears to be a way of bringing their members together by teaching them to dislike outsiders.  That, in itself, seems immoral to me.

And practical means there are limits to what one can do.  As an 81 year old I could fly to Africa and spend all my funds and energy helping feed a few malnourished there, however, I can help a great many people in my vicinity in very small ways.  I have to choose among a variety of actions those which I can help the most without limiting helping others.

Occam

[ Edited: 04 March 2012 12:49 PM by Occam. ]
 Signature 

Posted: 04 March 2012 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-02-18
Occam. - 04 March 2012 12:44 PM

That’s almost certainly true.  I believe that the belief or disbelief in a god is separate from one’s ethics and morals.  We see evil people who are devout in every different belief system, and we see good, ethical people in all of them.  It’s unfortunate that many religions try to denegrate all who do not believe as they do.  That appears to be a way of bringing their members together by teaching them to dislike outsiders.  That, in itself, seems immoral to me.

And practical means there are limits to what one can do.  As an 81 year old I could fly to Africa and spend all my funds and energy helping feed a few malnourished there, however, I can help a great many people in my vicinity in very small ways.  I have to choose among a variety of actions those which I can help the most without limiting helping others.

Occam

“It’s unfortunate that many religions try to denegrate all who do not believe as they do.  That appears to be a way of bringing their members together by teaching them to dislike outsiders”.

Which is probably similar to the case of some Atheists who bring their members together by teaching them to dislike others. Some, similar to some religious individuals.

On the whole,  I very much agree, again!  There are good and bad apples in every group.

Posted: 04 March 2012 03:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26
Abe99 - 04 March 2012 08:58 AM
Write4U - 04 March 2012 01:03 AM

Occam

Nice. I like that a lot.

Absolutely.

Perhaps we’d differ somewhat on how we define “practical”, but otherwise, without any doubt, I say the same!

We might be more similar than different. smile

Then why the automatic assuption that atheists or theists of a different religion are somehow “not enlightened”? This comes from hubris of the scriptures which, in addition of teaching morals, also teach that their morals are the true morals. Any reasonable person can develop a set of practical morals “such as the golden rule’. A “holy book” is not required, and for a theist to insist that it is impossible to live a moral life without ritual is false and therefore immoral in itself.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 04 March 2012 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-02-18
Write4U - 04 March 2012 03:13 PM

and for a theist to insist that it is impossible to live a moral life without ritual is false and therefore immoral in itself.

Are you saying that all or most theists insist that “it is impossible to live a moral life without ritual”?

That would be equally judgemental, unfair and immoral.

Not the same, but similar to saying all Muslims are terrorists.

[ Edited: 04 March 2012 03:31 PM by Abe99 ]

2 of 3