16 of 31
Is Atheism a Dodge?
Posted: 15 February 2012 08:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 226 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Hmm, I saved “The Creation of Egor” as a CMYK jpeg and although it displays fine on my computer it didn’t come up on my iPhone. I now saved it as an RGB and it’s fine. Does anybody know why an iPhone wouldn’t display properly an image in CMYK? Just wondering…

[ Edited: 15 February 2012 08:12 AM by George ]

Posted: 15 February 2012 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 227 ]
Total Posts:  4865
Joined  2007-10-05

iPhones and iPads have limited RAM so Apple places strict limits on what they will display. RGB is the standard for web publishing, so iPhones don’t render CMYK. Using CMYK for a web graphic is just wasting bandwidth anyway.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 15 February 2012 08:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 228 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

I see. Thanks. And I obviously agree that web files shouldn’t be saved in CMYK. It’s just that I find it much easier to think in CMYK while I work in Photoshop and I sometimes forget to save it to RGB after I am done with the file. RGB sucks.

Posted: 15 February 2012 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 229 ]
Total Posts:  4865
Joined  2007-10-05

LOL  Coming from a photography background I learned to think in RGB a long time ago. The only time I’ve used CMYK was in college while editing the school magazine. I couldn’t imagine trying to figure out a CMYK enlarger. RGB rocks.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 15 February 2012 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 230 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
Egor - 14 February 2012 01:52 PM
FreeInKy - 14 February 2012 01:19 PM

I’m very curious, Egor: How does god reveal his truths to you as a prophet? Do you hear his voice in your head? Does he cause your hand to move and write down his words? Ouigi board? How dies it work?

Via thought (you pray and ask a question, and you receive an answer in your thoughts)

Via dreams (you have a dream and you take time to contemplates what it symbolizes)

Via Scriptures (To each his own, but I recommend The Veridican Gospel of Jesus Christ)

Answered prayer (you ask for something and it happens)

Via unwitting prophets (a person says something to you that answers a question that you have been in prayer about)

Natural symbols (You see an answer symbolized in the natural order of things)

Divine revelation (God sends you a prophet with a message)

Divine inspiration (You write things down as you are commanded to write them)

Precognition (You receive a message about the future, usually in a dream)

I don’t address actual visions or voices because I’ve never experienced those and I work in a field that sees a lot of those and they aren’t from God. Nevertheless, I hold out the possibility of them.

A good recent example is what I’m doing with The Veridican Gospel of Jesus Christ as I prepare it for publication. I’m doing the copyediting and the formatting. As I copyedit, if I see a word that isn’t right, I change it. But I know that the reason it isn’t right is because as I’m reading the text, my mind has connected with the mind of God, and we are one. This is a mystical experience, and it may not have any meaning to you, but that’s how it works for me.

Very interesting list. Actually, it’s not—it’s exactly what I expected. Because it’s the same list I was taught as a fundy Christian. See, here’s the problem with your list. Actually, two problems:

First, there is nothing on that list that results in clear, unambiguous communication. Every thing on your list is open to interpretation and misinterpretation. Everything on your list is subject to the limits of human cognition, memory, and intention.

Second, the most glaring thing that emerges from the list is that there is nothing there that could only be attributed to your god. For you to interpret your message as coming from your god, don’t you require some sort of evidence? To make things clear, shouldn’t god make it obvious that the message is genuine? Do you respond to emails from Nigerian businessmen, by the way?

For any rational human to believe in act act upon a message from a purported “higher being” I submit that it must meet those two criteria. It must be clear and unambiguous, and it must be proven to be authentic. In the recorded annals of human history, there has never been such a message.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 15 February 2012 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 231 ]
Total Posts:  3262
Joined  2011-08-15

Oh my god p 221 is hilarious!!!!! How the hell did you do that? I seriously fell on the floor laughing! Love the look on Posideon’s face, very impassive!!! LOL

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 15 February 2012 08:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 232 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
DarronS - 15 February 2012 08:41 AM

LOL  Coming from a photography background I learned to think in RGB a long time ago. The only time I’ve used CMYK was in college while editing the school magazine. I couldn’t imagine trying to figure out a CMYK enlarger. RGB rocks.

I studied photography as well and I have a pretty good knowledge of RGB colours, but why on earth would you want to take down, say, yellow in somebody’s face in Photoshop? In CMYK I simply, well, take down yellow. In RGB, you would have to reduce green and add blue. How does that not suck? (Unless, you are a Data, of course.  grin )

Posted: 15 February 2012 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 233 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
Thevillageatheist - 15 February 2012 08:51 AM

How the hell did you do that?

Photoshop. Of course.  grin

Posted: 15 February 2012 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 234 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2012-01-07
Write4U - 15 February 2012 01:27 AM

Egor, you are assuming that atheists have no concepts of the Nature of the Universe. This is a false assumption. Every person who is interested in the subject has an intuitive understanding and relationship with the majesty of the Universe. But critical thinkers cannot allow themselves the intellectual limitation of believing in a concept that has impossible attributes, such as a sentient intelligence. That does not mean they do not recognize and have not studied or contemplated the mathematical, geometric and possible metaphysical properties of Universal Constants, which may have given rise to the beginning and evolution of the universe.
Atheist just reject (with a great degree of certainty) the narrow interpretation of a personal god who has any interest if we live or die. The laws of natural selection takes care of that. The laws of natural selection do not act with any kind of purpose or intent or even accuracy. They are long term statistical trends from which the best adapted species and sub species emerge as the survivors from billions of years of previous, less successful, ancestors. 
This in itself is sufficient to take pause and admire the incredible complexity which arose from very basic and simple elements. There is NOTHING supernatural about it.
Prayer does not expand your knowledge, it only reinforces a self imposed limitation on the marvellous biochemical organ, the brain.

So, why won’t you tell me if you were an atheist at the time you heard Poseiden telling you to just let go? It doesn’t matter really, you already did, and the response to that I am no longer willing to share.

Signature 

Then Jesus said, “Do not let your hearts be troubled; you believe in God. Believe also in Me. (VGJC 44:17)

Posted: 15 February 2012 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 235 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-07
George - 15 February 2012 07:14 AM
traveler - 15 February 2012 06:49 AM
George - 15 February 2012 06:41 AM

I can’t figure out what the clip says. What is it?

“He’s makin’ it up as he goes along. No I’m not.”

I see. Thanks. But maybe God does speak to him:

2r5uarm.jpg

Now that is good. LOL. I wish I could have been featured with a little more…well…at any rate that’s very good.

You know, it’s like the time you spent doing that is kind of creepy, but it’s still very good.

Signature 

Then Jesus said, “Do not let your hearts be troubled; you believe in God. Believe also in Me. (VGJC 44:17)

Posted: 15 February 2012 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 236 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

I can photoshop faster than I can write in English. Trust me. Glad you like it!  grin

Posted: 15 February 2012 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 237 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-07
FreeInKy - 15 February 2012 08:51 AM

Very interesting list. Actually, it’s not—it’s exactly what I expected. Because it’s the same list I was taught as a fundy Christian. See, here’s the problem with your list. Actually, two problems:

Sorry, but you were taught about precognition and unwitting prophets as a fundy Christian? Now that’s a first.

First, there is nothing on that list that results in clear, unambiguous communication. Every thing on your list is open to interpretation and misinterpretation. Everything on your list is subject to the limits of human cognition, memory, and intention.

So are our posts back and forth.

Second, the most glaring thing that emerges from the list is that there is nothing there that could only be attributed to your god. For you to interpret your message as coming from your god, don’t you require some sort of evidence? To make things clear, shouldn’t god make it obvious that the message is genuine? Do you respond to emails from Nigerian businessmen, by the way?

Well, if after all these years the communications to me from God are actually delusions, then what am I supposed to do about it? If God has kept Himself from me and tricked me with a pseudo-Divine relationship and fake communications, what am I supposed to do? I am only the creature and He is the Creator.

For any rational human to believe in act act upon a message from a purported “higher being” I submit that it must meet those two criteria. It must be clear and unambiguous, and it must be proven to be authentic. In the recorded annals of human history, there has never been such a message.

And yet, human civilization has progressed by listening to those who listen to God—and you enjoy the benefits of that in this modern age.

Signature 

Posted: 15 February 2012 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 238 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
Egor - 15 February 2012 10:45 AM
FreeInKy - 15 February 2012 08:51 AM

Sorry, but you were taught about precognition and unwitting prophets as a fundy Christian? Now that’s a first.

Okay, I’ll admit I just scanned the list. You are right. Those items are not on the usual list given to fundies. But they are recognized by other religions, including more mystical variations of Christianity.

So are our posts back and forth.

Irrelevant. I am not claiming to be a supreme being. My lack of perfect communication skills, and yours, are to be expected in light of our evolutionary development. Not so your god.

Well, if after all these years the communications to me from God are actually delusions, then what am I supposed to do about it? If God has kept Himself from me and tricked me with a pseudo-Divine relationship and fake communications, what am I supposed to do? I am only the creature and He is the Creator.

I didn’t say they were delutions necessarily. But I’m glad you are asking these questions. The problem is that you are assuming a conclusion: that you are “only the creature and He is the Creator.” See your circular reasoning here? But if you get rid of this assumption, then you are free to look for other causes for what you see as communication from your god. Coincidences, wishful thinking, your naturally evolved pattern-seeking engine, and so forth.

My point is that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Since everything you cite can be very well explained (and predicted) by well-understood natural phenomena, why would anyone need to resort to supernatural explanations?

And yet, human civilization has progressed by listening to those who listen to God—and you enjoy the benefits of that in this modern age.

Again, irrelevant. The question is whether god is talking to you. I submit that civilization has progressed in spite of our fears and superstitions vis-à-vis religion, not because of it.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 15 February 2012 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 239 ]
Total Posts:  6174
Joined  2009-02-26
Egor - 15 February 2012 10:27 AM
Write4U - 15 February 2012 01:27 AM

Egor, you are assuming that atheists have no concepts of the Nature of the Universe. This is a false assumption. Every person who is interested in the subject has an intuitive understanding and relationship with the majesty of the Universe. But critical thinkers cannot allow themselves the intellectual limitation of believing in a concept that has impossible attributes, such as a sentient intelligence. That does not mean they do not recognize and have not studied or contemplated the mathematical, geometric and possible metaphysical properties of Universal Constants, which may have given rise to the beginning and evolution of the universe.
Atheist just reject (with a great degree of certainty) the narrow interpretation of a personal god who has any interest if we live or die. The laws of natural selection takes care of that. The laws of natural selection do not act with any kind of purpose or intent or even accuracy. They are long term statistical trends from which the best adapted species and sub species emerge as the survivors from billions of years of previous, less successful, ancestors. 
This in itself is sufficient to take pause and admire the incredible complexity which arose from very basic and simple elements. There is NOTHING supernatural about it.
Prayer does not expand your knowledge, it only reinforces a self imposed limitation on the marvellous biochemical organ, the brain.

So, why won’t you tell me if you were an atheist at the time you heard Poseiden telling you to just let go? It doesn’t matter really, you already did, and the response to that I am no longer willing to share.

Then I am no loger interested in what you have to say at all. I’ve given you enough of my time as is.
Be well Egor,  good luck with your new order of Nights Templar.

[ Edited: 15 February 2012 10:12 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 15 February 2012 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 240 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

Egor, I invited you to this thread earlier. Maybe you missed it: http://www.centerforinquiry.net/forums/viewthread/12711/

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

16 of 31