17 of 31
Is Atheism a Dodge?
Posted: 15 February 2012 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 241 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  191
Joined  2010-10-09
Thevillageatheist - 15 February 2012 06:57 AM

My personal pick of the gods is Athena, goddess of war, wisdom, industry and the arts. I often sacrifice a goat to her in the back yard and I IKNOW that she protects my village. In times of trouble I defer to the daughter of the “dark misted son of Cronus” and she sends me signs, ex. flocks of blackbirds and a circling hawk when my spirits are low. Just visiting her statue in Nashville lifts my spirits for yet another year and I KNOW we will have a sucessful harvest. Having studied her activities in the sacred “Illiad” I have become a priest, as it were of her secret cabal. Don’t even pretend to refute this as I KNOW ontologically that you cannot. My proof is listed below. It is irrefutable and I have become godlike so you mere mortals must agree with me at once. Any counterargument will be met with a repitition of my earlier points. I have spoken.

http://www.goddess-athena.org/Encyclopedia/Athena/

Cap’t Jack

Me, I’m for Minerva, “Virgin Goddess of warriors, poetry, wisdom, commerce [and] crafts, and inventor of music.”
http://www.crystalinks.com/minerva.html

See also Neal Stephenson’s “Cryptonomicon”, for a discussion between computer nerd Randy Waterhouse and “immortal” alchemist Enoch Root, regarding the contrasts between Minerva and Ares (Mars) as war deities. I don’t have the book with me at the moment but the conversation occurs near the end, while Randy is in jail after having been framed for drug smuggling. It makes fascinating reading.

Yep, the beautiful and indomitable Minerva for me. She speaks to me through dreams and in deep meditation, and her existence is indisputable, and her power and compassion are infinite. All Hail Minerva!

Theflyingsorcerer..

Posted: 15 February 2012 10:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 242 ]
Joined  2010-10-09

..... It seems to me that our friend Egor is merely the latest in a depressingly long line of deluded, megalomaniac small-time cult gurus, following in the footsteps of Jim Jones, David Koresh, Herb Applewhite and many others. The only difference I can see is that Egor has a lot fewer followers; but I predict with about 80% confidence that he’ll end up the same way.

Theflyingsorcerer.

Posted: 16 February 2012 05:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 243 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
Theflyingsorcerer - 15 February 2012 10:02 PM

..... It seems to me that our friend Egor is merely the latest in a depressingly long line of deluded, megalomaniac small-time cult gurus, following in the footsteps of Jim Jones, David Koresh, Herb Applewhite and many others. The only difference I can see is that Egor has a lot fewer followers; but I predict with about 80% confidence that he’ll end up the same way.

Theflyingsorcerer.

Isn’t that the truth!  confused

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 16 February 2012 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 244 ]
Joined  2010-10-09

Jim Jones, David Koresh, Herb Applewhite

Theflyingsorcerer.

Should be MARSHALL Applewhite. Not sure where I got the Herb from…....

Posted: 16 February 2012 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 245 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2012-01-07
Write4U - 15 February 2012 11:21 AM

[
Then I am no loger interested in what you have to say at all. I’ve given you enough of my time as is.
Be well Egor,  good luck with your new order of Nights Templar.

Look, you seemed interested in relaying the story of quite frankly what seemed to be a near death experience. And it seems to have a lot of significance to you, because you remember it so well. I’m not so sure, that even in your atheistic reasoning of it, that you are entirely convinced that something real did not happen. I’m not so sure you can completely let it go that way.

I would like us to keep talking. I respond to your stuff probably more than most others in here. We can also talk via e-mail if you like or PM. I believe my e-mail is in my profile,.

domokato - 15 February 2012 12:36 PM

Egor, I invited you to this thread earlier. Maybe you missed it: http://www.centerforinquiry.net/forums/viewthread/12711/

I checked it out. You have plenty of responders. But I’ll check it out again. Thanks for the invite.

Theflyingsorcerer.

I don’t think Veridicanism can have followers, because I’m not to clear on how it could have leaders. If the human purpose is to become Christ, and if being a Veridican means you have been reborn into the substance of Christ, how could you then follow another Christ, except for Jesus Christ who is our template and the first born among us, and he’s not here. One could teach others I suppose. You could read my books. But then if you were Christ and a Veridican, I’d want to read your books, too!
So, I don’t think in my lifetime there is much chance of Veridicanism becoming a cult, per se. After I am gone, I don’t know how it will be corrupted, if at all. That’s up to the Father.

Signature 

Then Jesus said, “Do not let your hearts be troubled; you believe in God. Believe also in Me. (VGJC 44:17)

Posted: 16 February 2012 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 246 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10
Egor - 16 February 2012 10:26 AM
domokato - 15 February 2012 12:36 PM

Egor, I invited you to this thread earlier. Maybe you missed it: http://www.centerforinquiry.net/forums/viewthread/12711/

I checked it out. You have plenty of responders. But I’ll check it out again. Thanks for the invite.

You commented that we haven’t engaged you about the arguments you gave for God’s existence. The thread I linked is for that purpose. I was hoping to start one for the teleological argument too, if you’d like

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 16 February 2012 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 247 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14
dougsmith - 14 February 2012 10:23 AM
Egor - 14 February 2012 10:01 AM

As for Anasta’s avatar, I mean her specifically. Whenever I see a post from her, I know it’s not going to make any sense or be worth debating, in my opinion.

Her username is “asanta”. I will take you at your word that there’s nothing racial in your claim.

Sorry for the late response but I had to respond after intitially burying this.
For what its worth, I can’t believe your letting this racist neanderthal slide on that obviously racist remark!!
His tounge and cheek explanations for his remarks are further effrontery to decent modicums of moderation.
What a cheeky swine! 
His remarks were outright racism.
For you Doug, to take this “uninformed, stunted, troll at “his word” is rather confounding!

edit: corrected spelling of uninformed.

[ Edited: 17 February 2012 10:46 AM by VYAZMA ]
 Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 16 February 2012 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 248 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

VYAZMA, there are several ways to interpret Egor’s comment, only one of which is against the rules. I do not have the mental powers to figure out which he meant, so in lieu of further evidence I will attempt to interpret his comment, as I try to interpret all comments here, charitably.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 16 February 2012 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 249 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
dougsmith - 16 February 2012 12:28 PM

VYAZMA, there are several ways to interpret Egor’s comment, only one of which is against the rules. I do not have the mental powers to figure out which he meant, so in lieu of further evidence I will attempt to interpret his comment, as I try to interpret all comments here, charitably.

I tend to agree with you Doug, however his “recovery” comments about the picture being of some third-world charity child did NOT help his character any.  tongue wink

Signature 

Posted: 16 February 2012 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 250 ]
Total Posts:  6166
Joined  2009-02-26
VYAZMA - 16 February 2012 12:15 PM
dougsmith - 14 February 2012 10:23 AM
Egor - 14 February 2012 10:01 AM

As for Anasta’s avatar, I mean her specifically. Whenever I see a post from her, I know it’s not going to make any sense or be worth debating, in my opinion.

Her username is “asanta”. I will take you at your word that there’s nothing racial in your claim.

For what its worth, I can’t believe your letting this racist neanderthal slide on that obviously racist remark!!
His tounge and cheek explanations for his remarks are further effrontery to decent modicums of moderation.
What a cheeky swine! 
For you Doug, to take this “uniformed, stunted, troll at “his word” is rather confounding!

Moreover, considering that Asanta has probably twice the expertise (in the field of medicine) than he has, I found that racist remark intolerable and deserves at least an apology, not only to Asanta herself, but also to any children of a “lesser god”.

As for you Egor, your appeal for any continued discussion with you on my part? Forget about it.
I’ll leave you with one last link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egor

[ Edited: 16 February 2012 05:39 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 16 February 2012 11:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 251 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
traveler - 16 February 2012 01:26 PM

I tend to agree with you Doug, however his “recovery” comments about the picture being of some third-world charity child did NOT help his character any.  tongue wink

I just considered the source….then ignored it.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 16 February 2012 11:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 252 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-07

What a cheeky swine! 
For you Doug, to take this “uniformed, stunted, troll at “his word” is rather confounding!

You think you’re smart, don’t you? Well, I’m not going to take the bait. I didn’t mean anything racist by it, and I’ve posted what I meant. But I’m not going to keep harping on that, because to keep going on about what I meant would become insulting to Anasta, which of course is exactly what you’re trying to make happen. You call me a swine, a neanderthal, a racist, and a troll. And not a single thing is said to you. If I insulted one person in here that way, I’d be warned if not banned, but you get a free pass. So, I don’t want to hear any more about atheist morality. It is inferior to theist morality. Why? Because you—the atheist—expect theists to behave better than you expect yourself to behave. You can insult me anyway you want and the mods will look the other way. If I insult, they drop the hammer. Why? Because my words matter more than your words. It’s that simple.

Signature 

Then Jesus said, “Do not let your hearts be troubled; you believe in God. Believe also in Me. (VGJC 44:17)

Posted: 16 February 2012 11:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 253 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-07
Write4U - 16 February 2012 05:28 PM

As for you Egor, your appeal for any continued discussion with you on my part? Forget about it.
I’ll leave you with one last link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egor

We’ll see.

Signature 

Posted: 17 February 2012 12:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 254 ]
Total Posts:  782
Joined  2009-07-17
Egor - 16 February 2012 11:54 PM

What a cheeky swine! 

You think you’re smart, don’t you? Well, I’m not going to take the bait. I didn’t mean anything racist by it, and I’ve posted what I meant. But I’m not going to keep harping on that, because to keep going on about what I meant would become insulting to Anasta, which of course is exactly what you’re trying to make happen. You call me a swine, a neanderthal, a racist, and a troll. And not a single thing is said to you. If I insulted one person in here that way, I’d be warned if not banned, but you get a free pass. So, I don’t want to hear any more about atheist morality. It is inferior to theist morality. Why? Because you—the atheist—expect theists to behave better than you expect yourself to behave. You can insult me anyway you want and the mods will look the other way. If I insult, they drop the hammer. Why? Because my words matter more than your words. It’s that simple.

I don’t think your words (in general) matter more than VYAZMA’s. I also don’t think your theist morality is any better than atheist morality. (Actually I think that’s a false dichotomy because as I understand it morality doesn’t have anything to do with theistic or non-theistic beliefs, it’s just many tens of thousands of years of evolution.) However… I completely agree with your calling out the hypocrisy.

This is the internet. Since we aren’t speaking face-to-face, perhaps it’s better to ask for clarification of comments (we perceive/interpret a particular way) instead of just assuming we know what the original poster meant by their statements? And when we do ask for clarification, if the responder’s explanation doesn’t fit with what we thought they meant, and we hold to our previous conviction anyway, aren’t we being ideologues?

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 17 February 2012 01:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 255 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
asanta - 16 February 2012 11:42 PM
traveler - 16 February 2012 01:26 PM

I just considered the source….then ignored it.

Wise, as always Asanta!

Signature 

17 of 31