20 of 31
Is Atheism a Dodge?
Posted: 29 March 2012 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 286 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2885
Joined  2011-08-15

And he’s also carrying a weapon. If Jesus ran through a white neighborhood dressed like that he would either be shot or stopped by the police. Religious profiling. Fact is, the young man didn’t deserve death even if he stole the skittles in his bag. No matter what teenage trouble he was in at school, pot, skipping class etc. he didn’t deserve this. Death is final.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 29 March 2012 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 287 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
George - 29 March 2012 02:27 PM

Well, Zimmerman said he stopped following him after which Martin attacked him. Martin probably didn’t know Zimmerman had a gun. Or do you know anything that I don’t know? And BTW, Zimmermna isn’t white, so I am not sure what being white has to do with any of this.

Martin is dead he can’t tell his side of the story. You can’t tell me that a 5’9” 250lb very buff appearing man can be overpowered by a skinny 6’3 140lb kid. Zimmerman’s story makes no sense unless you factor in the fact that his father is a retired VA State Supreme Court judge.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 29 March 2012 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 288 ]
Total Posts:  5173
Joined  2010-06-16

I watched Rachel Maddow and Lawrence O’Donnell on MSNBC and and saw the video shots finally released by the police.  From all the data they reported it was quite easy to recognize that Zimmerman had committed murder.  Then, this morning, as I was driving, I listened to Rush Limbaugh report on the same situation.  From his report it was quite easy to recognize that Zimmerman was in fear for his life, was severely injured, and completely justified in shooting the boy. 

I realize that without first hand information, your news source completely biases your beliefs.

I did get a kick out of the lawyer who claimed to be a friend of Zimmerman’s who was interviewed by O’Donnell.  He claimed that the 911 call which was played and which I felt was clearly calling the kid a “fucking coon”, was really saying, “fucking goon” which his 17 year old daughter told him waa a term of endearment.  Strange that Zimmerman calls the kid an endearing name then shoots him.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 29 March 2012 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 289 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24

Of course racism has something to do with the incident, but the main issue is whether killing Martin was necessary or not.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 29 March 2012 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 290 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

And why would you call 911 to report 7-9 yr old kids playing in the street as your first response? What a waste of the dispatcher and officer’s time. Why not do what most people do; ask them not to play in the street and explain why it is dangerous, or knock on the door and talk to the parents. That works very well for me.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 29 March 2012 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 291 ]
Total Posts:  9283
Joined  2006-08-29
mid atlantic - 29 March 2012 06:30 PM

Of course racism has something to do with the incident, but the main issue is whether killing Martin was necessary or not.

Seems to me that the main issues here are 1.) your primitive law allowing you to carry a gun and 2.) multiculturalism. You can do something about the first one.

Posted: 29 March 2012 06:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 292 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24
George - 29 March 2012 06:46 PM
mid atlantic - 29 March 2012 06:30 PM

Seems to me that the main issues here are 1.) your primitive law allowing you to carry a gun and 2.) multiculturalism. You can do something about the first one.

You’ve got it backwards, we can get rid of multiculturalism, but we can’t get rid of our gun laws.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 29 March 2012 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 293 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02
asanta - 29 March 2012 06:04 PM
George - 29 March 2012 02:27 PM

Well, Zimmerman said he stopped following him after which Martin attacked him. Martin probably didn’t know Zimmerman had a gun. Or do you know anything that I don’t know? And BTW, Zimmermna isn’t white, so I am not sure what being white has to do with any of this.

Martin is dead he can’t tell his side of the story. You can’t tell me that a 5’9” 250lb very buff appearing man can be overpowered by a skinny 6’3 140lb kid. Zimmerman’s story makes no sense unless you factor in the fact that his father is a retired VA State Supreme Court judge.

Agree asanta and IMHO Zimmerman needs to be behind bars for life, because what he did was murder.  Even IF Trayvon had attacked him, shooting him dead was unnecessary force, esp when all Trayvon had was a bag of Skittles and a tea.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 30 March 2012 05:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 294 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14
mid atlantic - 29 March 2012 06:53 PM

... we can get rid of multiculturalism ...

Um, no we can’t.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 30 March 2012 05:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 295 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
Mriana - 29 March 2012 07:31 PM

Agree asanta and IMHO Zimmerman needs to be behind bars for life, because what he did was murder.  Even IF Trayvon had attacked him, shooting him dead was unnecessary force, esp when all Trayvon had was a bag of Skittles and a tea.

Yep. And unless he was doing a great job hiding that broken nose he’s also lying about the incident.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 30 March 2012 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 296 ]
Total Posts:  2774
Joined  2011-11-04

IMO, with power comes responsibility.  Anyone who chooses to carry a loaded gun, automatically, takes on the power to kill with relative ease.  With that extraordinary power, one must act with extraordinary responsibility.  I don’t know the details of how Zimmerman came to kill Martin, but it seems clear that Zimmerman was primarily responsible for initiating the contact between the two, which was a mistake.  He had been told by 911 dispatch, not to continue following Martin.  Another mistake was his apparently poor discrimination in which he suspected Martin to be a burglar, most likely based on Martin being black and having his sweatshirt hood on. It was raining.  That’s what the hood is for, inclimate weather. 

Thus, at best, for Zimmerman, I would expect that he be charged with involuntary manslaughter.  Based on eventual investigatory details of evidence the charge might need to be more severe.

Signature 

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb… We are bound to others, past and present… And by each crime and every kindness… We birth our future.”  Sonmi, 2144.

Posted: 30 March 2012 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 297 ]
Total Posts:  5173
Joined  2010-06-16

We like to think of ourselves as moving forward culturally and ethically, but the fact that twenty states in the U.S. instituted this insane law seems to show that our ideas of equality and caring for each other was a temporary aberation.  This law is going back further even than the Old West.  It allows murder with just a bit of planning to give the perpetrator a little excuse.  snake

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 30 March 2012 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 298 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
TimB - 30 March 2012 01:20 PM

Thus, at best, for Zimmerman, I would expect that he be charged with involuntary manslaughter.  Based on eventual investigatory details of evidence the charge might need to be more severe.

You’re probably correct, but I hope the charge is at least voluntary manslaughter.

Signature 

Posted: 30 March 2012 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 299 ]
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26

It ocurred to me that if someone is being stalked (followed) by someone, if that person has a right to “stand his ground”. No one has mentioned the rights of Martin to be where he was at that moment in time, without having someone (with a gun) come after him.
Seems that we have now come to a law that does not say “stand your ground” but to a law which says “last man standing”.

[ Edited: 30 March 2012 05:19 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 30 March 2012 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 300 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
Write4U - 30 March 2012 05:04 PM

It ocurred to me that if someone is being stalked (followed) by someone, if that person has a right to “stand his ground”. No one has mentioned the rights of Martin to be where he was at that moment in time, without having someone (with a gun) come after him.
Seems that we have now come to a law that does not say “stand your ground” but to a law which says “last man standing”.

Too true. The only person who could have “stood his ground” was the person murdered, or so it seems.

Signature 

Doug

20 of 31