26 of 31
Is Atheism a Dodge?
Posted: 03 April 2012 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 376 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4622
Joined  2007-10-05

Wild hogs are serious problem in Texas, especially the Hill Country. Several of our astronomy club members have seen and heard wild hogs in the brush near our observatory at the northeast edge of Lake Buchanan, about one hour northwest of Austin. One member locked his keys in his car and had to walk one-half mile down a dirt road at night to unlock the gate for the AAA locksmith. He wished he had a gun then, because he could hear the hogs less than 50 feet away. Luckily none attacked.

Mountain Lions are getting to be a problem. Just a couple of months ago a mountain lion attacked a young boy in the Chisos Basin parking lot in Big Bend National Park. He was walking between his parents when the lion attacked. The boy’s father jumped on the lion and began stabbing it with his pocket knife and the lion ran off. The boy required two surgeries to repair his face. My first purchase is going to be a hunting knife.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 03 April 2012 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 377 ]
Total Posts:  2799
Joined  2011-11-04
DarronS - 03 April 2012 03:41 PM

Wild hogs are serious problem in Texas, especially the Hill Country. Several of our astronomy club members have seen and heard wild hogs in the brush near our observatory at the northeast edge of Lake Buchanan, about one hour northwest of Austin. One member locked his keys in his car and had to walk one-half mile down a dirt road at night to unlock the gate for the AAA locksmith. He wished he had a gun then, because he could hear the hogs less than 50 feet away. Luckily none attacked.

Mountain Lions are getting to be a problem. Just a couple of months ago a mountain lion attacked a young boy in the Chisos Basin parking lot in Big Bend National Park. He was walking between his parents when the lion attacked. The boy’s father jumped on the lion and began stabbing it with his pocket knife and the lion ran off. The boy required two surgeries to repair his face. My first purchase is going to be a hunting knife.

Yeah, I would be more concerned with kids in mountain lion country.  Kids are little and tend to dart around a lot… i.e.,  tempting prey for a cat.  That’s really something about it being in the Basin parking lot.  I haven’t been to Big Bend in several years.  I know there have been occasional mountain lion attacks, but I never heard of one being so brazen as to attack in an area where there tend to be a lot of people.  A couple of friends of mine are going on an overnight hike to Emory Peak this weekend.  I’ll tell them so as to add a sense of adventure to their hike.

[ Edited: 03 April 2012 04:19 PM by TimB ]
 Signature 

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb… We are bound to others, past and present… And by each crime and every kindness… We birth our future.”  Sonmi, 2144.

Posted: 03 April 2012 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 378 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24
GdB - 03 April 2012 11:00 AM
mid atlantic - 03 April 2012 08:48 AM

Actually, most of the stupid morons who have guns end up killing themselves and not others - so we’ve got that going for us!

Themselves or each other? If that makes any difference…

Well, there are those who accidentally shoot themselves while “playing” with guns.  However, it is mostly individuals shooting each other over petty stuff - drugs are often involved as well, so perhaps being under the influence in more to blame, rather than simple stupidity.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 03 April 2012 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 379 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
TimB - 03 April 2012 04:05 PM
DarronS - 03 April 2012 03:41 PM

Yeah, I would be more concerned with kids in mountain lion country.  Kids are little and tend to dart around a lot… i.e.,  tempting prey for a cat.  That’s really something about it being in the Basin parking lot.  I haven’t been to Big Bend in several years.  I know there have been occasional mountain lion attacks, but I never heard of one being so brazen as to attack in an area where there tend to be a lot of people.  A couple of friends of mine are going on an overnight hike to Emory Peak this weekend.  I’ll tell them so as to add a sense of adventure to their hike.

I had a mountain lion regularly visiting my back yard for about 10 years. He would spray in my back yard, it is very pungent and would smell up the entire house. I realized the smell was from the lion when he dragged a kill up into a tree in my yard. I only ran into it once in my yard, although he occasionally tried to get into my food recycling bin. We had a truce and he left the dogs alone. He hasn’t been around for about a year, so I think he’s probably died. I have mixed feelings about another one taking its place, it is cool to tell people you have a really big kitty! I was very cautious outside, even before I discovered my renter because I live in a wildlife area. I never go into my yard after dark without a large bright light.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 03 April 2012 09:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 380 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

That is pretty cool, Asanta.  I guess you didn’t have any little kids running around to worry about becoming kitty toys.

Signature 

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb… We are bound to others, past and present… And by each crime and every kindness… We birth our future.”  Sonmi, 2144.

Posted: 03 April 2012 09:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 381 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
TimB - 03 April 2012 09:24 PM

That is pretty cool, Asanta.  I guess you didn’t have any little kids running around to worry about becoming kitty toys.

No, the kids are grown. I kinda miss him, a little bit. The local animal control was aware of the situation. I called them as soon as I realized it, and they just monitored the situation. I made sure all of my neighbors knew. Because I have a tree with a very large lateral branch to observe the wildlife coming down the street, they felt that if they removed this one, there was a chance another one would show up. We’ll see… cool smirk Meanwhile, it makes an unbeatable story!

I also get wild boar, deer, raccoons, turkey,  skunks galore—essentially, anything you might find wild in the area.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 03 April 2012 10:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 382 ]
Joined  2011-04-24

Some of the people here live in cool parts of the country -  you’re encountering lions, wild hogs, bears, ect.  I’m jealous!  Where I grew up, wildlife consisted of a squirrel or crows on the phone lines in the back alley.

Signature 

Posted: 03 April 2012 10:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 383 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
mid atlantic - 03 April 2012 10:14 PM

Some of the people here live in cool parts of the country -  you’re encountering lions, wild hogs, bears, ect.  I’m jealous!  Where I grew up, wildlife consisted of a squirrel or crows on the phone lines in the back alley.

You don’t even get skunks, raccoons, opossums and coyotes? Even our very urban areas in California have those!

Signature 

Posted: 03 April 2012 10:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 384 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
asanta - 03 April 2012 09:58 PM
TimB - 03 April 2012 09:24 PM

No, the kids are grown. I kinda miss him, a little bit. The local animal control was aware of the situation. I called them as soon as I realized it, and they just monitored the situation. I made sure all of my neighbors knew. Because I have a tree with a very large lateral branch to observe the wildlife coming down the street, they felt that if they removed this one, there was a chance another one would show up. We’ll see… cool smirk Meanwhile, it makes an unbeatable story!

I also get wild boar, deer, raccoons, turkey,  skunks galore—essentially, anything you might find wild in the area.

Maybe wild animals are not turned off by humans that are un-deluded godless atheists. smile

Signature 

Posted: 04 April 2012 03:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 385 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
asanta - 03 April 2012 10:37 PM
mid atlantic - 03 April 2012 10:14 PM

You don’t even get skunks, raccoons, opossums and coyotes? Even our very urban areas in California have those!

No, not near Baltimore; the rural areas of central MD have skunks opossums and raccoons, no coyotes though.

Signature 

Posted: 04 April 2012 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 386 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2012-03-10

Howdy

I do not see the connection between atheism being a dodge and owning a gun. 

Neither do I see the connection between atheism being a dodge and Zimmerman. 

However since the topic of atheism being a dodge appears to have run its course. 

If you are uncomfortable living in a country in which a person can own a gun regardless of his intelligence then you have at least two options. 

One option is to simply not live in such a country.

Another option is to try and have the laws changed so that any idiot cannot by a gun. 

As to the Zimmeran case I am somewhat leery of trying this case in the media.  But it is to be expected in a country that values free speech. 

I do not know all the facts of the case.  However from what I do know from the media it would appear to me that there should be at least a grand jury investigation. 

I do however question the claim that those who people who say they are seeking justice are really seeking justice.  It appears to me that they have already decided that Zimmerman is guilty of murder.  It appears to me that there are people who are seeking vengence and not justice. 

Have A Thinking Day May Reason Guide You

Posted: 04 April 2012 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 387 ]
Total Posts:  5187
Joined  2010-06-16

First, I saw a story recently that applies to Asanta’s situation.  A home owner called because she had a mountain lion in her back yard, treed by her dog (who would have been no match for the cat).  The responding Animal Contol personnel explained that wolves are natural enemies of and predators on mountain lions (I assume, as a pack), so the cats avoid dogs, too. (or is my memory failing and Asanta posted that a while ago?)

Second, my daughter, in Hawaii, found her sweet potato patch all torn up and learned it had been a wild pig.  A neighbor who was a hunter, tracked it down and a week later the whole neighborhood contributed various vegetables, fruit and libations, and they all had an excellent luau.  That’s about as far as I can go with accepting gun ownership.  smile

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 04 April 2012 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 388 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29

FWIW, I have run into a bear twice in my life, and once into a wolf. One of the bears was a mother bear with two cubs and she seemed more scared than me. The wolf was scared, too; which I heard is not unusual, since they seem to be only dangerous when in large packs.

I have already said the following elsewhere, but according to statistics, there are less than one death per year due to a bear attack, and one death per year from a mountain lion attack. There hasn’t been a death related to attack from a wolf in over a hundred years.

People get guns because they are either ignorant, of because they like guns and try to come up with excuses to justify their sick violent nature.

[ Edited: 04 April 2012 10:48 AM by George ]

Posted: 04 April 2012 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 389 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
IDBC - 04 April 2012 09:30 AM

Howdy

I do not see the connection between atheism being a dodge and owning a gun. 

you’re right, this thread is so far off topic, it is probably irreparable. We don’t usually get this far off topic.

Neither do I see the connection between atheism being a dodge and Zimmerman.

no argument here!

However since the topic of atheism being a dodge appears to have run its course. 

If you are uncomfortable living in a country in which a person can own a gun regardless of his intelligence then you have at least two options. 

One option is to simply not live in such a country.

Another option is to try and have the laws changed so that any idiot cannot by a gun. 

As to the Zimmeran case I am somewhat leery of trying this case in the media.  But it is to be expected in a country that values free speech. 

I do not know all the facts of the case.  However from what I do know from the media it would appear to me that there should be at least a grand jury investigation. 

I do however question the claim that those who people who say they are seeking justice are really seeking justice.  It appears to me that they have already decided that Zimmerman is guilty of murder.  It appears to me that there are people who are seeking vengence and not justice. 

Have A Thinking Day May Reason Guide You

While I can’t speak for ANYONE else, I am just frustrated that there had been no apparent investigation. I just want him arrested and tried, to give the justice system a chance. The jury will then decide whether there is enough to convict.

Signature 

Posted: 04 April 2012 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 390 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam. - 04 April 2012 10:11 AM

The responding Animal Contol personnel explained that wolves are natural enemies of and predators on mountain lions (I assume, as a pack), so the cats avoid dogs, too. 

In California, it has been so long since mt lions were hunted, many have lost their fear of dogs and will hunt and eat them given a chance. Coyotes will do the same with a small dog or any cat it can catch. ‘My’ mt lion, for whatever reason, was never interested in my dogs. They co-existed in the back yard before I knew it was there. My dog used to rub the cat spray all over himself and bring it into the house..ugh. The animal control officer insisted the dogs be supervised whenever they were in the back yard, but I put my foot down on that bit of idiocy. The dogs can run MUCH faster than I can, if the cat appears!

Occam, sounds like a delicious luau was had by all! Yum!

Signature 

26 of 31