Janet Parker - Medium
Posted: 15 February 2012 04:48 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2010-10-04

This woman as a show in Portugal where she talks with dead.
I have tried to find any info about her but can’t find any.
Does any of you ever heard about her?
I found her site, but nothing else…
http://www.janetparker.co.uk/

cheers,
Cláudio

Posted: 15 February 2012 05:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

No idea. Mediums are pretty much a dime a dozen, so who knows? Maybe someone else here has heard of her.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 18 March 2013 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-03-18

I have heard of her and seen her at work and she is an excellent medium,she works mainly in Europe but has worked in the USA.As for mediums being a dime a dozen,that’s your opinion and you are entitled to it but I find it sadly wrong.

Posted: 18 March 2013 02:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  5187
Joined  2010-06-16

Unfortunately, they usually drain far more than a dime from their victims.  Most are clever con artists who manage to identify what the person wants to discuss, and who have good verbal skill that causes the person to reveal more than s/he realizes then is shocked when it’s fed back to her/him. The rest are crackpots who really believe they have metaphysical powers.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 18 March 2013 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-03-18

I think you are the kind of person that no matter the evidence will still not believe!I am pretty sceptical myself about a lot of things but when it comes to a GOOD medium then I am impressed.Ms Parker told me and others things that she could have known nothing about and I was certainly not led to tell her anything,I know that I’m too intelligent for that.Just for once think there could be something in this after all.

Posted: 18 March 2013 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  2888
Joined  2011-08-15

Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-03-18
I think you are the kind of person that no matter the evidence will still not believe!I am pretty sceptical myself about a lot of things but when it comes to a GOOD medium then I am impressed.Ms Parker told me and others things that she could have known nothing about and I was certainly not led to tell her anything,I know that I’m too intelligent for that.Just for once think there could be something in this after all.

Good medium? Only in the methods they use to fool the credulous, and BTW personal anecdotes don’t stand as evidence. Has she taken up the James Randi challenge or has she already foreseen that she woud lose? Obviously you aren’t THAT skeptical. A little research into the methods physics use might just change your mind about her; here’s an excellent example:

http://skeptico.blogs.com/skeptico/2005/03/how_do_you_prov.html

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 18 March 2013 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

Sorry, but no. There’s no reason to believe when what these people are using amounts to nothing more then old carnival tricks such as cold reading and…yes…even checking out their marks ahead of time.

I think one New York City detective said it best when she pointed out that of all the psychics and mediums she had arrested, not even one of them saw it coming when she busted them for fraud.

It’s all a scam.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 18 March 2013 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-03-18

I’ll just finish off now as like I said in my last reply to you no matter what you hear or see you have a blinkered attitude to life and by the way its not a scam,I may have forgotten to add that Ms Parker is my sister and she ain’t no fraud!

Posted: 18 March 2013 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  2245
Joined  2012-10-27
wjbee - 18 March 2013 05:27 PM

I’ll just finish off now as like I said in my last reply to you no matter what you hear or see you have a blinkered attitude to life and by the way its not a scam,I may have forgotten to add that Ms Parker is my sister and she ain’t no fraud!

She may not be a fraud but she may well be mistaken, and probably is,  just as most believers have been since the beginning of time. 

That doesn’t make her a fraud unless she knows she is wrong but continues promulgating fraudulent information. Unfortunately millions of people have done that and millions more will do it in the future.

Posted: 18 March 2013 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29

I strongly disagree, Lois. These people know very well what they are doing. It’s not like being a priest who may indeed be ignorant and honestly believe that he is helping people to get to heaven. A “medium” who doesn’t know she is a fraud would be like a magician who thinks he really does magic.

Posted: 18 March 2013 10:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2012-10-27
George - 18 March 2013 08:13 PM

I strongly disagree, Lois. These people know very well what they are doing. It’s not like being a priest who may indeed be ignorant and honestly believe that he is helping people to get to heaven. A “medium” who doesn’t know she is a fraud would be like a magician who thinks he really does magic.

Maybe, but beliefs can screw up minds.

Posted: 19 March 2013 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  5187
Joined  2010-06-16

I tend to agree with Lois.  There are many varieties of “thought” that go along with mental illness.  I seem to recall that there are those who honestly believe they have extrasensory abilities such as being able to read people’s minds, see the future, etc.  They usually end up institutionalized, but until then, they will spout nonsense, and there will be others who believe them. 

However, I mostly agree with George, too.  The large majority of them are con people and know they are.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 19 March 2013 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24

If she is your sister, then it’s not surprising that she “knew things” about you.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 19 March 2013 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

In that case, my sister is a ‘medium’ too! Lol, and my parents even more so!  tongue laugh

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 19 March 2013 11:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2012-10-27
Occam. - 19 March 2013 10:54 AM

I tend to agree with Lois.  There are many varieties of “thought” that go along with mental illness.  I seem to recall that there are those who honestly believe they have extrasensory abilities such as being able to read people’s minds, see the future, etc.  They usually end up institutionalized, but until then, they will spout nonsense, and there will be others who believe them. 

However, I mostly agree with George, too.  The large majority of them are con people and know they are.

Occam

Yes, the majority are con people, I agree. The ones that honestly believe thy have extrasensory abilities don’t generally end up institutionalized, though. As long as they’re not actually hurting anyone in an identifiable way, they are likely to be left alone with their oddities. It’s often hard to know whether they believe their own hype or not. Best to give them a wide berth.