2 of 3
Embracing the Humanist label
Posted: 09 March 2012 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
RD Cook - 09 March 2012 06:35 AM

How do you respond to a message Traveler and have the prior message or parts of the prior message greyed out?

When replying, don’t click on “Post Reply” but rather on the “Quote” button just below and to the left of the message. Then, get the quoting HTML correct - that’s where some people have a hard time. It’s always smart to press “Preview Post” and checking that it’s what you want prior to hitting the “Submit Post” button. Good luck!

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 09 March 2012 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2012-02-16
traveler - 05 March 2012 10:08 AM

Just ran across this and really like it. I think it is more a definition of a Humanist than it is an atheist.

“An atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An atheist believes that a deed should be done instead of a prayer said. An atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death.” ~ Madalyn Murray O’hair defining an atheist for the US Supreme Court

Thanks for the pointer Traveler!!

I hope to talk more with all types of people and even the ones that totally disagree with me. All I normally do is talk to myself or reading books. So talking and sharing on this forum with you and others is a first step for me. Thanks for your post and responding to me.

BTW - do you draw your screen name from the Star Trek Next Generation episode about the traveler or is it a more general name like seeker?

Posted: 09 March 2012 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
RD Cook - 09 March 2012 01:25 PM

BTW - do you draw your screen name from the Star Trek Next Generation episode about the traveler or is it a more general name like seeker?

Funny you mention that… The name actually derives from the fact that I have moved a lot during my life.

But I owe my smart-looking avatar to George.

Signature 

Posted: 09 March 2012 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2012-02-16
traveler - 09 March 2012 01:31 PM
RD Cook - 09 March 2012 01:25 PM

Funny you mention that… The name actually derives from the fact that I have moved a lot during my life.

But I owe my smart-looking avatar to George.

I am including a URL to a site that has a couple of photos of the Traveler character from Star Trek Next Generation. Your avatar is only slightly similar to the traveler character. I hope you will forgive me for wondering if that was the inspiration for your avatar. I too have the hair style of the Traveler that is mostly scalp!

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_Traveler

Posted: 09 March 2012 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2008-04-07

Oh yeah, I was always a Trek fan and I’m familiar with the character. And regarding hairstyles… I have been shaving my head for the past few months. That way I don’t have to wear a swim cap when I go swimming at UB. (I’m getting ready for 4 sprint triathlons over the summer.)

Signature 

Posted: 10 March 2012 09:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2012-03-10

Howdy

I have embraced the Secular Humanist label and I am taking the Humanist course sponsered by CFI.  It should be an interesting course. 

As to watching Fox-Faux News I Keep My Friends Close And My Enemies Closer. 

Have A Thinking Day And May Reason Guide You

Posted: 11 March 2012 08:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  419
Joined  2007-08-24

Coming from a very religious family who frankly despised all humans who were not white Christian straight men.  I wanted nothing of this attitude to enter my mind.  At 9 I walked away from baptism and never again gave a single thought to a spiritual God.  At 13 I entered a private girls boarding school with an enormous library and access to the library at UCLA.  This particular school was secular and we had girls from all over the world who had many Gods.  We were forbidden to discuss religious but after hours, in the dorm rooms we learned from each other how this old world worked.  What an education I had there. 

I listened to the stories from our Jewish students what hatred can do to the individual.  We listened to the stories from the Middle Eastern nations how they resented Israel.  We all celebrated when Israel got their very own nation.  We danced in the street around the campus.  We learned from each other how to stop the hatred and we all became humanists although no such word was in use at that time. 

We drew closer in 1948 when one of us saw her father hang himself and my father was too drunk to make the turn on Sunset Blvd and died and then a third saw her father shoot her mother’s boyfriend.  It was a March never to be forgotten.  We were a team and we got through it.  That’s what humanists do.

It is the ability to join up to face the tragedies that hit us all.  We kept each other sane and to try and stop the horrors of grief.  We humanists often get involved in charity work where we can help hand’s on.  I ended up working for Hospice and Big Brothers, Big Sisters.  Secular is just a simple adjective to further explain us. 

The best example of this attitude in the world of television is met by Gene Roddenberry.  There is no color, religion or superior part of any of his heroes.  He even made his ugly characters beautiful.  We all should be able to do this within our own families.

Posted: 11 March 2012 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Yep. I’m Humanist.  One humanity, one world, one nature, without the need for an other supernatural world.  Corliss Lamont brought me over to the Humanist side of life.  Humanists are good people, with morals coming from their hearts.

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 11 March 2012 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
jump_in_the_pit - 11 March 2012 01:23 PM

Yep. I’m Humanist.  One humanity, one world, one nature, without the need for an other supernatural world.  Corliss Lamont brought me over to the Humanist side of life.  Humanists are good people, with morals coming from their hearts.

That’s a great sentiment, JITP. (But the morals come from their minds.)  smile

Signature 

Posted: 11 March 2012 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  6035
Joined  2009-02-26

I always wondered about the relationship of the brain and the heart. While the brain creates the thoughts, the heart seems to be the speedometer indicating what the brain is experiencing. The heart clearly responds to emotions felt by the brain as well as physical activity.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 11 March 2012 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
Write4U - 11 March 2012 03:12 PM

I always wondered about the relationship of the brain and the heart. While the brain creates the thoughts, the heart seems to be the speedometer indicating what the brain is experiencing. The heart clearly responds to emotions felt by the brain as well as physical activity.

What are you wondering about? It seems to me that you understand it pretty well.

Signature 

Posted: 12 March 2012 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

The problem seemed to be with JITP’s initial statement.  If we recognize it as metaphor, it’s fine.  If we think it says that the emotions originate in the heart, that’s the problem answered by Traveler and expanded by W4U.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 12 March 2012 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2005-07-20
traveler - 11 March 2012 02:14 PM

Sorry, if I was too much of a Romantic for you there, Travel.  LOL  Thanks for the put-up, though.

Signature 

Posted: 12 March 2012 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
jump_in_the_pit - 12 March 2012 12:48 PM
traveler - 11 March 2012 02:14 PM

Sorry, if I was too much of a Romantic for you there, Travel.  LOL  Thanks for the put-up, though.

That’s ok. I think the diamond up my ass is just about ready…  wink

Signature 

Posted: 12 March 2012 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2005-07-20
traveler - 12 March 2012 01:01 PM

That’s ok. I think the diamond up my ass is just about ready…  wink

I always knew you were a brilliant man.  I’ll warm-up the next piece of coal for you, and sand the corners away, just the way you like it.  cheese

Signature 

2 of 3