4 of 5
lower class whites lack “morality”
Posted: 23 May 2012 07:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2012-05-23

that’s how I got caught, I used the bookstore just outside the school. The keep mentioned it to a teacher.

Posted: 23 May 2012 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29

You had hundreds of dollars to spend on a prank in a ninth grade? I think you’re making it up.  smile

Posted: 23 May 2012 09:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
George - 08 May 2012 10:48 AM

.... but what seems troubling is everything else in their lives: divorce, out-of-wedlock childbearing, social trust, their general level of happiness, productivity, etc.

I’ll take them one by one… DIVORCE used to be shameful, the woman bore the brunt of the ‘shame’. Her credit history disappeared, it only existed as part of his. Men got off unscathed. They kept their credit and lifestyle, the courts were not so diligent in insisting on child support. Women were given low paying jobs, they were paid much less than men were since men were seen as the ‘real’ bread winner, and questions could be asked about their pregnancy plans. For this reason, women stayed in the awfullest of marriages, hoping you could survive the next beating, when you had few options.
OUT-OF-WEDLOCK CHILDBEARING, in the age before birth control pills used to be called ‘shotgun weddings’ for the rest of the story, see above.

SOCIAL TRUST, What social trust? Every time I look around, the rug keeps getting yanked over and over again. With the hyped-up lies about ‘welfare queens’ and a single woman stigmatized no matter how she found herself in that situation. The social net has been pulled out from under poor families.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 23 May 2012 09:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Why are the divorce rates getting worse all the time? Are the courts more diligent now than they were five years (or even one year) ago? The same goes for the out-of-wedlock childbearing. It wasn’t some type of a “social punctuated equilibrium,” reflecting the invention of birth control pills. It’s getting worse pretty much every year.

Posted: 23 May 2012 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Total Posts:  2799
Joined  2011-11-04
George - 23 May 2012 09:32 AM

Why are the divorce rates getting worse all the time? Are the courts more diligent now than they were five years (or even one year) ago?...

Facebook?

Signature 

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb… We are bound to others, past and present… And by each crime and every kindness… We birth our future.”  Sonmi, 2144.

Posted: 23 May 2012 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
TimB - 23 May 2012 10:16 AM

Why are the divorce rates getting worse all the time? Are the courts more diligent now than they were five years (or even one year) ago?...

Facebook?

Facebook may be guilty of many things, but not this one. Again, divorce rates were worse for the poor in, say, 1992 than in 1988, long before the impact of internet on the social life.

Posted: 23 May 2012 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Total Posts:  908
Joined  2005-01-14

Why are the divorce rates getting worse all the time? Are the courts more diligent now than they were five years (or even one year) ago? The same goes for the out-of-wedlock childbearing. It wasn’t some type of a “social punctuated equilibrium,” reflecting the invention of birth control pills. It’s getting worse pretty much every year.

My guess is that people have unrealistic expectations.  Young people expect love to be like the movies, where you just have great sex all the time.  They don’t understand the concept of building a life together for the long term, putting up with each other’s little faults.

Posted: 23 May 2012 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

Why are the divorce rates getting worse all the time?

It’s not just divorce rates. It’s stability in general. Nothing is long term anymore. We live in a disposable society. Relationships, homes, careers, consumer goods, nothing is long term. Nobody wants to be locked into any long terms commitments of any kind. I have no idea of the root cause(s). I just have the feeling that this is much bigger than just marriage.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 23 May 2012 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-05-23
George - 23 May 2012 08:43 AM

You had hundreds of dollars to spend on a prank in a ninth grade? I think you’re making it up.  smile

it was a small chapel at a boarding school. And yes, I did have hundred of pounds that I could blow. LoL, I bought 50 of them. You see, I am a trust fund brat.

Posted: 23 May 2012 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Well, the divorce rate of the rich is not rising.

Posted: 23 May 2012 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-05-23

Divorce’s are expensive for one, and complicated. Alot of people end up not sharing a bed and taking discreet lovers.

Posted: 23 May 2012 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
zmullin - 23 May 2012 11:41 AM
George - 23 May 2012 08:43 AM

it was a small chapel at a boarding school. And yes, I did have hundred of pounds that I could blow. LoL, I bought 50 of them. You see, I am a trust fund brat.

I still don’t believe you. A small bookstore carried fifty copies of the Jefferson Bible? Plus, you don’t sound like a person who went to an English boarding school.

Posted: 23 May 2012 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-05-23

Ah yes Sir, George, you may feel free to believe that, I do sincerely apologize for sharing a muse. Anyways, regarding divorce and crime
1)Well to do individuals are no less inclined to criminal behavior, if my life experience is to suggest anything I would assume that well-to do people are more criminally inclined. As you have the means, opportunities, and preferential treatment in the courts.
2)Divorces cost large sums of money, and pre-nuptuals are the standard for individuals of wealth(no impetus to divorce)
3)Alternatives to divorce and staying apart are available for those who can spend money. I don’t know this is standard but frankly my parents despised each other. They practically lived apart. If they were forced to live in the same house I would imagine they would have had a bitter divorce.

Posted: 23 May 2012 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Total Posts:  2799
Joined  2011-11-04
zmullin - 23 May 2012 11:44 AM

Divorce’s are expensive for one, and complicated. Alot of people end up not sharing a bed and taking discreet lovers.

Good point, there may be some common set of contingencies that are effecting us all since the late ‘80’s (in terms of committed relationships), but the rich are simply more prone to avoid divorce as they have diferent considerations and capacities than the poor have.

Signature 

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb… We are bound to others, past and present… And by each crime and every kindness… We birth our future.”  Sonmi, 2144.

Posted: 23 May 2012 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Keep brainstorming, guys.  grin

4 of 5