“The Wall” by Kansas
Posted: 17 February 2012 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

This song has been one of my favorite pieces of popular music since I was a teenager. I always thought it was beautiful both musically and lyrically. What’s funny is how my view of what “the wall” represents has changed over the years. The writer, Kerry Livgren, never as far as I know revealed the meaning of the wall. But he and other members of the band were heavily influenced by Christianity and many fans see it as having Christian themes. So when I was younger, I saw the song similarly.

But I listened to it again this morning the first time in a while and I was blown away at how well it fits my current world view. My wall is religion. It has taken me over 40 years to do it but, by god, I have scaled that sucker and the view on the other side is incredible.

I won’t past the lyrics here since it would be a copyright violation but here is a link: http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/3530822107858485162/

In case you have never heard the song, listen here: http://youtu.be/SBMsulQMqm8

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 17 February 2012 11:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

Nice! I read the lyrics at the link. Good stuff, but I’ll give it a 7 ‘cause it’s tough to dance to.  tongue wink

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 21 February 2012 07:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

Well, the way I dance it doesn’t particularly matter what the music sounds like!

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 21 February 2012 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29
FreeInKy - 21 February 2012 07:57 AM

Well, the way I dance it doesn’t particularly matter what the music sounds like!

I know what you mean.  grin I myself dance like the Robaxacet puppet.