2 of 3
Overprotecting the kids or more paranoia?
Posted: 17 February 2012 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1777
Joined  2007-10-22

Here is the Economist article.

http://www.economist.com/node/21546010

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 17 February 2012 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2011-08-15

Sometimes reading what the other side contends can help broaden your perspective. I read the reviews and even though I don’t entirely agree with his point of view on the lower class, I’ll probably read the book anyway. I’m intrigued by the idea that lower class white America is falling apart because it has abandoned conservative ideals. This sounds like a plea to return to the 50’s with Levitowns spring up overnight and Dad in blue suit and red tie taking the metro into town while mom raises the kids “Leave it to Beaver” style in dress and pearls. The whole dynamic of Amerca has changed since then, smokestack industries have moved away and the factories that sustained the blue collar worker are gone. The service industry has taken over as the rust belt lost jobs and people who now have nothing to strive for but unemployment and underemployment. I’ m interested to see what Mr. Murray has to say about it. skeptical INQUIRY. We can’t inquire unless we do the research!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 17 February 2012 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  782
Joined  2009-07-17

Err… What new book?

Thanks!

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 17 February 2012 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  2715
Joined  2011-04-24
harry canyon - 17 February 2012 04:06 PM

Err… What new book?

Thanks!

Take care,

Derek

http://www.amazon.com/Coming-Apart-State-America-1960-2010/dp/0307453421/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326770266&sr=1-2  Here’s a link.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 17 February 2012 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
Thevillageatheist - 17 February 2012 03:54 PM

Sometimes reading what the other side contends can help broaden your perspective. I read the reviews and even though I don’t entirely agree with his point of view on the lower class, I’ll probably read the book anyway. I’m intrigued by the idea that lower class white America is falling apart because it has abandoned conservative ideals. This sounds like a plea to return to the 50’s with Levitowns spring up overnight and Dad in blue suit and red tie taking the metro into town while mom raises the kids “Leave it to Beaver” style in dress and pearls. The whole dynamic of Amerca has changed since then, smokestack industries have moved away and the factories that sustained the blue collar worker are gone. The service industry has taken over as the rust belt lost jobs and people who now have nothing to strive for but unemployment and underemployment. I’ m interested to see what Mr. Murray has to say about it. skeptical INQUIRY. We can’t inquire unless we do the research!

Cap’t Jack

You’re so right Jack; after talking about it for this period of time, I want to read it and critique it now!  I violated the rule of dispassionate inquiry. long face

Signature 

Posted: 18 February 2012 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2007-10-22

Allright I’ add to my to read list:

Reinventing the Sacred , by Stuart Kauffman,

The Age of Nationalism.  Hans Kohn

The Coming of the Book.  Febvre and Martin

Social Origins of Dictatorships and Democracy.  Barrington and Moore Jr.

Modern Political Geography.  Richard Muir

The Anarchical Society.  Hedley Bull

The Expansion of International Society.  Hedley Bull

State Formation and Political Legitimacy.  ed. Ronald Cohen and Judith D Toland

Coercion, Capital and European States.  Charles Tilly

The Formation of Nation State In Western Europe - Charles Tilly Ed.

Civilization and Capitalism.  Fernand Braudel

The Elementary Forms of Religious Life.  Emil Durkheim

Sociobiology Edward O Wilson -Consilience, Johathon Haidt

War Before Civilization - Lawrence H Keely.

Nuer Religion - Evans Pritchard

Magic, Science and Religion - Bronislaw Malinowski

A History of Christianity - Paul Johnson

Did God Have A Wife - William C. Dever

How to Read the Bible - James Kugel

Goddess, Whores, Wives and Slaves, Women in Classical Antiquity. - Sarah B Pomeroy

How Jesus Became A Christian - Wilson Barre
The Historical Figure of Jesus - E.P. Wilson

The Early Church - Henry Chadwich

Trust - Francis Fukuyama

The Churching of America - Finke and Stark

Sacred and Secular - Pippa H Bellah & Ronald Inglehart

Religion and Politics in Religion - Robert Booth Fowler et al.

Civil Religion in America - Robert Bullah - The Robert Bullah Reader

Divided by God - Noah Feldman

The Rise of Christianity - Frend

Constantine and the Christian Empire – Odahl

Jerusalem:  The Biography – Simon Sebag Montefiore

Jerusalem, Jerusalem:  How the Ancient City Ignited Our Modern World - James Carroll

Forged – Bart D Ehrman **

The Malthusian Trap – Alan McFarlane – Int. Encyc. of Social Science 2nd ed. 2007

Political Order in Changing Societies.  Samuel Huntington

Re-Claiming the Bible for a Non-Religious World,”  John Shelby Spong

Coming Apart: The State of White America, 1960-2010

BTW I started this thread to discuss the article about overprotecting kids and keep the discussion of this book separate.  Doesn’t appear to be working.  Any comment on the article that actually initiated this thread. confused

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 18 February 2012 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

You started the thread, so I imagine you would be the first one to come up with a comment. Linking to a page is not a comment.

Posted: 18 February 2012 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Ok Gary, I see your point but rather than list the books that I presently have in my library I’m just going to send a picture and let those interested in what I read sort it out!  surprised

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 18 February 2012 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2011-04-24

Back on topic, American kids born after the mid seventies are (were) most definitly overprotected; the results of that mistake are already pouring in.

Signature 

Posted: 18 February 2012 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicopter_parent

To add to Mike’s post we now have the modern phenonema of the helicopter parents who train their kids to believe in entitlement. They are the soccer moms at the games and even follow their kids to college where the professors have to tell them that it’s time for their precious to grow up. So many of them are unprepared when they enter the adult world of competition. This is a middle class problem and not so much in the blue collar world of single parents, or children abandoned to be raised by grandparents or the state. It’s definitely created a wider gap between the groups going from one extreme to the other. I hope that Murray addresses this in his book. I’d be interested in reading his take on it.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 19 February 2012 06:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  6195
Joined  2006-12-20

“Mr Murray pleads instead for “a civic great awakening” that will see the upper class sally forth from its SuperZips to talk the less fortunate into marrying, working harder and becoming better neighbours”

Focusing on working harder.

I think if the “upper class” is working harder it’s because they get pleasure out of the work and are well rewarded.

So the question is how to achieve that for the less fortunate?

And if you just say you can’t but get them to do it anyway, you are asking them to spend a great deal of their time being very unhappy for very little reward.

Stephen

Posted: 19 February 2012 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
StephenLawrence - 19 February 2012 06:17 AM

“Mr Murray pleads instead for “a civic great awakening” that will see the upper class sally forth from its SuperZips to talk the less fortunate into marrying, working harder and becoming better neighbours”

Focusing on working harder.

I think if the “upper class” is working harder it’s because they get pleasure out of the work and are well rewarded.

So the question is how to achieve that for the less fortunate?

And if you just say you can’t but get them to do it anyway, you are asking them to spend a great deal of their time being very unhappy for very little reward.

Stephen

Good point.

Signature 

Posted: 19 February 2012 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

One possible solution for the blue collar workers is to give them more money for working harder. The cost of living typically eats up those working for minimum wages and many I know of now work two jobs just to keep the bills paid. It makes one wonder if there is actually a formula for successfully pursuing the “American dream”, or our version of it anyway. BTW, the technical colleges are filling up with those displaced workers who have been laid off or lost their jobs when the factories shut down. They are retraining for service fields or practical skills. Ex. Here the nursing field is wide open and every graduate I know of has found a job. We have several hospitals and health care facilities in the Tristate area and the pay is decent.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 19 February 2012 08:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
Thevillageatheist - 19 February 2012 06:43 PM

One possible solution for the blue collar workers is to give them more money for working harder. The cost of living typically eats up those working for minimum wages and many I know of now work two jobs just to keep the bills paid. It makes one wonder if there is actually a formula for successfully pursuing the “American dream”, or our version of it anyway. BTW, the technical colleges are filling up with those displaced workers who have been laid off or lost their jobs when the factories shut down. They are retraining for service fields or practical skills. Ex. Here the nursing field is wide open and every graduate I know of has found a job. We have several hospitals and health care facilities in the Tristate area and the pay is decent.

Cap’t Jack

My view may be extreme, but I don’t really think the “American dream” is a real thing for the say, under 40 crowd. Owning a nice house with retirement at 67 and a nest egg to live off of is probably not in the cards for me and my age group; I accept it though.

Signature 

Posted: 21 February 2012 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2007-10-22
Thevillageatheist - 18 February 2012 01:13 PM

Ok Gary, I see your point but rather than list the books that I presently have in my library I’m just going to send a picture and let those interested in what I read sort it out!  surprised

Cap’t Jack

The list isn’t what I have in my library.  It’s what I am intending to read (eventually long face ).

My real point on this particular work is that I have read numerous studies with the same viewpoint over the past 45 years.  Like the Bible, statistics can be used to support any position.

[ Edited: 21 February 2012 05:27 PM by garythehuman ]
 Signature 

Gary the Human

2 of 3