1 of 4
Why does society seem so complicit in the sexualization of little girls for money in preadolescent beauty contests?
Posted: 18 February 2012 05:56 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2012-02-16

21nfpf9.jpg

Signature 

The WhY? Movement is a Non-Profit Organization Dedicated to empowering and encouraging people to ask “why?”, and thus inquire critically.

We believe thoroughly in what we refer to as the right of critical inquiry: that all people deserve the right, the power, the opportunity, and the encouragement to ask “why?”.

To learn more about us, please check out our website at http://www.thewhymovement.org

Posted: 18 February 2012 06:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24

[]

The WhY? Movement - 18 February 2012 05:56 AM

387681_298182466878096_129831957046482_1226417_1017473386_n.jpg

Exellent question. There is a thinly veiled sexualization of children in general in our culture, it seems. The insistence on grown women to completly remove pubic hair is a symptom of that also.  I think there are several reasons; 1. It’s profitable   2. Perhaps there are more pedophiles in society than we are comfortable admitting.  3. The girls’ parents are emotionally disturbed (body image issues), and feel validated by their daughters’ getting attention for being attractive.  4. The parents are just not that intellegent, and are quite incapable of making good decisions. It’s odd that more people don’t question it, yet many modern parents are living in fear that their children will be kidnapped and molested.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 18 February 2012 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29

I think little girls dressing up has nothing to do with sex. It’s the same as thinking that violent video games or playing with swords will turn boys into criminals. Girls like to feel beautiful and boys want to pretend (and “pretend” I believe is the key word here) they are strong and powerful. I say let them.

Posted: 18 February 2012 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

And one more thing: I am actually a little concerned about adult men who object to llittle girls dressing “sexy.” Any adult man who thinks it’s provocative is probably getting “the signal” and should keep away from young kids.

Posted: 18 February 2012 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
George - 18 February 2012 08:26 AM

I think little girls dressing up has nothing to do with sex. It’s the same as thinking that violent video games or playing with swords will turn boys into criminals. Girls like to feel beautiful and boys want to pretend (and “pretend” I believe is the key word here) they are strong and powerful. I say let them.

Yes, but that’s not the same thing George; Those girls are slutted up and put on display because of their trashy mother’s lack of self esteem, the girls will grow up and wash, rinse, repeat. Their behavior is biologically determined, but they also come from very depraved backgrounds where not much else is possible. I suppose that if someone wants to make money from it, you can’t really stop them; but it does seem a little unethical IMO.

Signature 

Posted: 18 February 2012 03:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26

I do think it is a premature provocation to the senses. In the natural world most animals do not get their stripes, colors, or plumage until they are mature enough to procreate. We have become so obsessed with trying to be “attractive” that we skip the entire stage of learning about the art of living and functioning within our environment first.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 18 February 2012 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  5187
Joined  2010-06-16

I happened to be scrolling through TV cable channels and saw a program called Toddlers in Tiaras on either TLC or KLCS.  I was surprised that it showed a highly made up four or five year old girl in a tiny bikini doing a bump and grind dance on a stage.  I was awe-struck and couldn’t change channels as another half dozen tiny girls all made up with loads of cosmetics and fancy costumes danced and gyrated on stage for the audience, mostly of very obese parents with strong southern, back-woods accents. 

Just as we recognize that children learn to believe in a god at an early age, we may want to ask what behavior is being inculcated into these kids. 

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 18 February 2012 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  2889
Joined  2011-08-15

Personally I think that it’s bizarre behavior but it’s another example of parents living vicariously through their children. Occam noticed that many of the mothers are obese or were former cheerleaders or pagent contestants themselves. They see themselves in their kids and I won’t go deeply into why. Also, some parents see this is a way to showcase a talent (or potential talent) that may land them an acting job in the future. “Dakota fanning made it with her winning smile so my kid has a shot at fame”? Then they can become acting parents just like Lindsey Lohann’s mom and dad!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 18 February 2012 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2012-02-16

Maybe it’s just my perception, but if also seems like some of the male judges at these pageants appear somewhat pedophilic. Is that just me?

Signature 

The WhY? Movement is a Non-Profit Organization Dedicated to empowering and encouraging people to ask “why?”, and thus inquire critically.

We believe thoroughly in what we refer to as the right of critical inquiry: that all people deserve the right, the power, the opportunity, and the encouragement to ask “why?”.

To learn more about us, please check out our website at http://www.thewhymovement.org

Posted: 18 February 2012 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
The WhY? Movement - 18 February 2012 07:04 PM

Maybe it’s just my perception, but if also seems like some of the male judges at these pageants appear somewhat pedophilic. Is that just me?

No, it’s not just you; at the risk of giving into stereotypical prejudices, some do appear pedophilic, however many male judges at beauty pagents are gay - so the percentage of “chester the molester” is probably not high.

Signature 

Posted: 18 February 2012 09:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  636
Joined  2010-07-01
George - 18 February 2012 08:26 AM

Not for the little girl it doesn’t , but think of it this way. All the moms who watch these shows are influenced by what they see, and apparently they are starting to think that dressing like this is normal behavior. My personal experiences of what I have seen are 5 year old girls with short hiked up skirts or shorts that have the word “Juicy” written on their butts.

Posted: 19 February 2012 06:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

So they have “Juicy” written on their butts. So what? I have seen little boys who had “#1 race car driver” written on their chests. I think it’s cute and funny.

Posted: 19 February 2012 07:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  636
Joined  2010-07-01

Seriously? That’s your comparison? By those standards why not have “fk here” printed on their asses? It too would be so cute to see them dressing like little hookers.

Posted: 19 February 2012 02:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  5187
Joined  2010-06-16

George, it appears that this thread is about the sexualization of very young girls.  Do you see “#1 race car driver” as equivalent sexualization of very young boys?

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 19 February 2012 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

I know what it’s about but I don’t think those girls are being “sexualized” (whatever that means).

Posted: 19 February 2012 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26

Well, it’s a far cry from Shirley Temple, who looked good in any costume..

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

1 of 4